Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by r0kk3rz View Post
Most of it is Linux CLI poking and prodding, it helps greatly if you are familiar with how a Linux system works.

Occasionally you might have to do some programming, but its fairly rare and one of the porter/jolla guys will usually do it for you once they understand what the problem is.

But above all of that is a requirement of patience and a willingness to learn, this is not something you'll be finished with in an afternoon.
When starting development of a new port it is fairly easy to get the device up to the level that it boots your kernel in rescue mode, so that you can actually telnet into the device but none of the drivers for video, audio, haptics, sensors etc work yet.

Then it is just tweaking&hammering it into shape until you get all the parst working coeerctly

Originally Posted by nieldk View Post
Then there is still work to do, 14.1 is probably too new Android version to even consider, and also, Sailfish is based on CM. Allthough with some effort LOS should prabably also be possible to getvto work.
Oh I missed this one, basically everything you just wrote here is wrong

We have been using LOS for quite some time now because of CMs demise and there are a number of ports using 14.1 as an Android base.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post:
Oh I missed this one, basically everything you just wrote here is wrong

We have been using LOS for quite some time now because of CMs demise and there are a number of ports using 14.1 as an Android base.
Hence, I reffrered to IRC and SailfishOS Porters
I was basically refrerring to the HADK documentation, which still references CM as base. So, there is some work in order to use LineageOS. Especially for 'newcomers' - like myself
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nieldk View Post
Hence, I reffrered to IRC and SailfishOS Porters
I was basically refrerring to the HADK documentation, which still references CM as base. So, there is some work in order to use LineageOS. Especially for 'newcomers' - like myself
Yes and i'm telling you, there isn't any extra work to do because we already use LineageOS regularly, all the way up to Lineage OS 15.1.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post:
Yes and i'm telling you, there isn't any extra work to do because we already use LineageOS regularly, all the way up to Lineage OS 15.1.
So, when are "we" going to update HADK guide?

The Following User Says Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:
Thanks for all your inputs and feedback guys.
So if had to start today, should I just follow the HADK ?
All please bear in mind that even though our phone has both LOS 15.1 and 14.1 .. It has an exynos cpu.
Would there be any difficulty in porting ?
I assume it shouldn't as the kernel and drivers are already up and running for our devices.

The Following User Says Thank You to karan5chaos For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by karan5chaos View Post
Thanks for all your inputs and feedback guys.
So if had to start today, should I just follow the HADK ?
All please bear in mind that even though our phone has both LOS 15.1 and 14.1 .. It has an exynos cpu.
Would there be any difficulty in porting ?
I assume it shouldn't as the kernel and drivers are already up and running for our devices.
Step one as always is to join us on irc in #sailfishos-porters on freenode, then follow the HADK. In your case I would suggest using Lineage OS 14.1 provided the image works correctly.

Will it be difficult? It might be, we don't have a lot of Exynos based ports so there could be some major hurdles.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post:
i was also wondering if any seasoned developers would make this happen if we pay him. we tried contacting one person who actually built LOS 14.1 and made it stable.
But we don't know if he actually has enough experience in building sailfish os

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to karan5chaos For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by karan5chaos View Post
i was also wondering if any seasoned developers would make this happen if we pay him. we tried contacting one person who actually built LOS 14.1 and made it stable.
But we don't know if he actually has enough experience in building sailfish os
It's always nicer to do it by oneself. I would go even so far as describing it boring to use a port done by someone else

is this the device you're talking about?

https://github.com/DeadSquirrel01/sa...eases/releases

EDIT:

My mistake, this is the Galaxy A5 (2015) not the 2017 device, but perhaps a lot of the fixes can be applicable to the later device

Last edited by r0kk3rz; 2018-09-30 at 21:21.

The Following User Says Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post: