Active Topics

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
TFA was referring to (non-VoIP) phones.
Actually, no, it was deep packet inspection, according to the WSJ article on the same subject. That's Internet communications.

Spy technology is used in every country of this world.
Iran is evil and so it doesn't have the right to get spy technology? You can't forbid Iran everything. They also have criminals, which they have to spy upon.

I think it's the job of the governments of the other countries, to prevent to much dangerous technology getting into states like iran and north korea

Iran poses a military threat to whom? Iraq who was supplied with arms from..ahem.."western countries"? US who's out of missile range (at the very minimum)? Meanwhile the US has dropped nukes on who? Run up in how many countries? Exactly WHO has drones killing civilians in Afghanistan and Pakistan?

And what country supplies weapons to a certain Mid-East Country that uses said weapons on a colonized people who's most sophisticated weapon is a home made RPG?

I have my issues with Iran, NK, etc, but WTF people, post like you know some history.Sheeeet!

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Iran poses a threat to its own people.

Why does everyone think that listing something bad someone else is doing defends against the first charge?

If you are caught shoplifting, try talking about serial killers and how bad they are.

If the US is guilty of crimes (which I don't concede), that doesn't mean Iran's citizens, when possible, shouldn't be defended against lesser crimes, such as unsafe cars, or intrusive spy technology.

And just because "in the long run" you can't stop technology from doing something bad, that doesn't mean that SHORT RUN you can't do some protecting.

And just because you can't stop SOMEONE from doing action X is no reason YOU should be allowed to do action X.

There is no reason to hand machine guns over to kids just because technology can be used for good or bad purposes -- kids aren't appropriate people to be possessing such technology.

Countries that are a little less respectful of human rights than us can be kept from OUR PROVIDING them certain technology -- there is nothing wrong with that.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by qole View Post
I think 2048-bit encryption should be what's popular again.

It seems to me that one of the most important things about the new oFono telephony stack is the opportunity for developers to add encryption to voice communications.

Hopefully average people will be able to encrypt their voice calls soon.

EDIT AGAIN:

The easy way around this is having an encrypted tunnel to a proxy server outside of the country. If you live in a country with a "national firewall", like Saudi, China, Iran, etc, you need to assume they're reading your mail and scanning your online communications. Doesn't matter who sold them the equipment, they're going to find a way.
No doubt...

...and thanks.

As far as my comment about Nokia stock. It was made when I first fired up my connection this AM... it is also at this time that I make any changes in my very small investment portfolio.

It really doesn't much matter who's responsible for what. The statement "The world is watching", the images of violent oppression, and the name "Nokia" appearing in reader headlines about Iran this morning has an impact on a collective conscience and any damage should be managed, imho.

As far as the events themselves, it is also mho they will most certainly affect the world community in a profound way.
Governments like Brazil, Russia, India, and China with very large, new or soon to be connected populations may be rethinking a few things right now.

BTW, Does anybody know if there is a HAM radio community in Iran?

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Iran poses a threat to its own people.

Why does everyone think that listing something bad someone else is doing defends against the first charge?

If you are caught shoplifting, try talking about serial killers and how bad they are.

If the US is guilty of crimes (which I don't concede), that doesn't mean Iran's citizens, when possible, shouldn't be defended against lesser crimes, such as unsafe cars, or intrusive spy technology.

And just because "in the long run" you can't stop technology from doing something bad, that doesn't mean that SHORT RUN you can't do some protecting.

And just because you can't stop SOMEONE from doing action X is no reason YOU should be allowed to do action X.

There is no reason to hand machine guns over to kids just because technology can be used for good or bad purposes -- kids aren't appropriate people to be possessing such technology.

Countries that are a little less respectful of human rights than us can be kept from OUR PROVIDING them certain technology -- there is nothing wrong with that.
Dude you are so out of it, that I almost feel that the response would be a waste of my time and effort. Iran is a sovereign nation that can buy and sell what it likes just like any other country.

But since you're so concerned about Deep packet inspection by the Mullahs, I hope your just as concerned about the white phosphorus, and other munitions used in Gaza against civilians.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Thanks, sondjata, I hope it helped you to insult me.

You say, "Dude you are so out of it, that I almost feel that the response would be a waste of my time and effort. Iran is a sovereign nation that can buy and sell what it likes just like any other country."

Can you explain why we are obligated to sell things to Iran if we don't want to?

You say that Iran has the right to buy and sell what it likes. This sounds like an absolute right. Does that overrule our right to choose who we sell to?

I am sure you have an overwhelming answer to these questions ready, but don't go to too much trouble -- after all, you have already noted that I am a hopeless case.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Actually, no, it was deep packet inspection, according to the WSJ article on the same subject. That's Internet communications.
Err... well, there is obviously a large 'spread' on the specifics... the original link pointed to tap phone lines, email and IM... but now has electronic data... oh well.

I think it's the job of the governments of the other countries, to prevent to much dangerous technology getting into states like iran and north korea
As the history of modern tech embargoes tells us, these countries WILL get the tech anyway (with the exception of leading edge military and nuclear). At that point, your choices are between bad (selling them the stuff and breaking the news, warning everybody about it through a 'leak') and even worse (pretend you don't know that they will buy it from someone else and let them unleash it on unsuspecting people). Whether NSN was the bad or worse in this case... your call.

Also, don't mix Goverment and State. Those are very different things.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
This sort of arguemnt goes nowhere, and fast.

The sad fact is that many nations abuse their citizens, including the US, Iran, and others too numerous to mention. The sad fact is that many people support an open, global market unless of course that market includes nations they don't like. The sad fact is that there is no single nation with the absolute moral authority (or imperative for that matter) to dictate who gets what. The sad fact is we rely on the United Nations to arbitrate such things, and that body has apparently abdicated such responsibilities (thanks in large part of the dominating and misnamed Security Council).

The sad fact is that this is an imperfect world.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
This sort of arguemnt goes nowhere, and fast.

The sad fact is that many nations abuse their citizens, including the US, Iran, and others too numerous to mention. The sad fact is that many people support an open, global market unless of course that market includes nations they don't like. The sad fact is that there is no single nation with the absolute moral authority (or imperative for that matter) to dictate who gets what. The sad fact is we rely on the United Nations to arbitrate such things, and that body has apparently abdicated such responsibilities (thanks in large part of the dominating and misnamed Security Council).

The sad fact is that this is an imperfect world.
Yup... so we all should just mind our own business and move on...

or;

In response to the negative implications of this thread, point out that the majority of live or current information from the ground, the tweets coming from individuals who are involved, originated on Nokia made devices. As a community we could also develop and post possible mobile solutions to the alternative communication means that qole posted about.

However, it's pro'ly easier just to move on. After all, it's not happening here...

...yet.

(@ Texrat. The above^ was not directed at you. Your post just provided the thread continuity that I used to post my rhetoric. Thanks! )