Originally Posted by ColdFusion View Post
A lot of Garmin's products have 3,5" screens.
True, but they have a big GUI. Most GPS units have everything big (maps, speed, compass, road names, roads, etc..).

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
How 'bout you don't tell me what I did or didn't do... Howzat for clarity.
Then don't show a basic lack of knowledge of the thread you're in. Howzat for basic participation in a discussion?

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I was hunting around via Google to see if anyone else had noticed the Emergency Calls mention in the SDK. Not only did I find nothing, I also found confirmation that it is DEFINITELY not for VoIP. timeless was reciting the text on the N810 box on IRC and it clearly states, "Warning: Emergency calls are not supported."

Interesting.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by qole View Post
I was hunting around via Google to see if anyone else had noticed the Emergency Calls mention in the SDK. Not only did I find nothing, I also found confirmation that it is DEFINITELY not for VoIP. timeless was reciting the text on the N810 box on IRC and it clearly states, "Warning: Emergency calls are not supported."

Interesting.

Before this gets off into a side discusion about what one or two participants think we should be talking about in this thread, let me say this...

Yes qole, what you found was signifigant.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Qole is the man. Or... thing. Something. Yes, I'm sure he's something.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Earthly Ambassador from Planet Qole, I think is the right title. Protocolar details still murky, pending HHGTG update.

Posts: 1,028 | Thanked: 578 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Chicago
At some point, devices that were simply 'phones' stopped existing (outdoors at least).

Telephone:

Phone:

What we are getting nowadays is something else entirely, even if it CAN make voice calls. The lines have been blurred my friends.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JayOnThaBeat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
So, the theory is that these additional capacities would be added and the device would be made smaller for no particular reason?
No more stylus keyboard -> more space on screen -> smaller screen -> same space, less power consumption, more portable.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
At this rate, it's almost a safe bet that anything released will not be enough to satisfy anybody's wants/needs.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Qole is the man. Or... thing. Something. Yes, I'm sure he's something.
Thank you very much! Um... I think. Maybe. Yes, I'm sure you were being complimentary.

Originally Posted by fpp View Post
Earthly Ambassador from Planet Qole, I think is the right title. Protocolar details still murky, pending HHGTG update.
Actually I am a prototype created by a mad scientist from an alternate reality. When she realised what she had created, she tried to destroy me, but she ended up destroying herself and her laboratory, while sending me through a dimensional rift to your planet.

Jay: I picked up some sweet telephony hardware in Berlin when I was there for the last Maemo Summit:

Last edited by qole; 2009-06-15 at 03:34.

Tags
disapointed by nokia, dpad, maemo phone, my tablet is crying, n900, nokia gets it wrong, openmoko, rover, rx-51, rx-71 needed, screen size, smartphone, t-mobile