I think it's too early to make decisions. I will decide soonest, when someone posts his first impressions.

The n900 has no dpad? Maybe the Ui will be better usable without dpad.
Nobody knows. There are more things that changed with the next IT.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kotzkind For This Useful Post:
Posts: 52 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by kanishou View Post
Actually both of those are slants against the current tablets (with boy genius also assuming that this rumored device would still be a tablet you'd have to use in addition to your phone, which doesn't actually match the rumors) more so than the rumored device itself, which somewhat underlines Captn's point.
That's quite possible, although Nokia Experts seems to make specific reference to the fact that this would be very similar to the N97.

I am actually a little excited if it turns out that it has voice functionality. I think I might be a little hesitant to run Maemo as a phone (considering the voice functionality isn't present in the current version, and therefore is most likely very new).

It would be somewhat ironic if I'm cautious about a new phone from Nokia because of voice concerns (who I always prefer for their voice capability).

I honestly don't see voice being in the device if it really is coming out in the next couple months. I'd love to be wrong though.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Probably not going to be read by folks from Nokia, but here it goes:

I think Nokians have not been warned just how anxious the waiting community is, so coming here to comment was/is nothing short of putting one's head in the lion's open jaws, and a might hungry lion's at that Also, I could kind of sense the target audience if this was a phone. It's mostly not for people who currently own a N8x0 (that's where the flak comes from), it's more like for people who are currently turned down by the fact that NITs have no cellular voice or consider them just a tad too bulky. So, to reiterate, if one of the devices we of course know nothing about DOES cater more for the current N8x0 form/screen crowd and this split is just to make it more appealing to a wider range of people, we're cool. Seriously. Not saying this to get an early device. Really

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by kanishou View Post
Look closely at the keyboard, it doesn't match the layout of the mobilecrunch recreation. So at least one of them is bogus.
ya 13 keys per line vs 11.

I think the second one is a photo shop...

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
Huh?!? I don't get what you are saying? You think Nokia is speaking in code to maemo.org through this leak by using the acronym "TMO"?

The complete text from mobilecrunch is:
"This documents all specifically and repeatedly mention “TMO” launch targets. We’ve never seen this stand for anything besides T-Mobile in this context, and everything still makes perfect sense after swapping out every instance of “TMO” for “T-Mobile”. As such, we assume that is what they mean.

Target launch dates, as of the beginning of this year:

* T-Mobile International: July 2009
* T-Mobile USA: August/September 2009
* Middle East, Asia, South-East Asian Pacific: July 2009
* Europe: October 2009"
...and besides Jaffa, if the initials did stand for us, wouldn't they be TmO instead?

Last edited by YoDude; 2009-05-25 at 21:59. Reason: P-P-P-Punctuation...

Posts: 610 | Thanked: 391 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ DC, USA
Originally Posted by ragnar View Post
Nobody is pulling their stylus out just to start typing.
I do. Thus, your statement is false.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mullf For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
... ok, stupid question time. I know what Mer is... what's Tear?
Install it right now and find out what your tablet has been missing: a light, fast browser. Don't walk. Run!

The Following User Says Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
Another thing...

The press has been LOVING this new tablet design, but in the comments below are negative posts, many of them from users of this forum. Ironic: the individuals that wish the platform (Maemo) to do well, are largely acting against its success.

YARR!
}:^)~
That is a rank mischaracterization.

No user is acting against success of anything.

We are TALKING about preferences.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
I understand that. But we don't want it optimized for a smaller space, because the size of the screen is one of the biggest differentiating factors from other smart phones. If i wanted a phone locked in by a carrier, i would take the iphone hands down. But tablets are something special and different. I understand the idea to popularize them, but not at the expense of the tablets.
I'm a Maemo guy, not a devices guy. (I do care deeply about devices too, but that's another topic.) I like to talk in general terms, so I'll continue doing that.

I've said it over many years and I'll continue saying that Maemo is not about any single device but about a software platform, eventually running many different kinds of devices. Just like any other software platform wants to do. From my perspective as an UI designer I'm interested in the limits of scalability: how much can the devices vary while still running essentially the same software.

Scalability is hard to build into the UI and the software. But any one particular screen size is a really poor competitive advantage or a differentiating factor. Say 3" or 3.5" or 4.1" or 5" or 6" or whatever is your preference. It's a very poor differentiator because it doesn't take much for any competitor to buy the same display component and throw it into their device. I'm sure a company like Samsung or Archos already has one device for every of the previously mentioned screen sizes. There is only a finite amount of display component manufacturers in the world, we're all using the same components basically.

Now, naturally you can do a small device targeting certain use cases and a bigger device, better suiting other use cases. Then again, the more variation you have between devices, the harder it becomes to do the actual software for these devices.

Therefore I haven't, and I still don't really see Maemo being about "big" displays - or "small" displays. If the secret sauce would be 4.1" display, everybody would be doing it.

I've used a whole bunch of touch devices, from the Nokias 7710, 770, N800, N810, 5800, N97 etc., as well most of the known touch competitors - you know their names - and I don't see that whether a given device is using 3.1 or 3.5 or 4.1 or whatever is in the top 3 most important factors of overall usefulness or usability or desirability of that device.

Me, pretending to be a consumer, like rather small and slim pocketable devices, but that's just me. I'd cautiously say that I'm with most consumers on that one. I do believe in form factor evolution insofar that the general market and the general range of devices from Nokia and from the competitors try to match the general preference of what consumers actually want to carry and to use.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ragnar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
Huh?!? I don't get what you are saying? You think Nokia is speaking in code to maemo.org through this leak by using the acronym "TMO"?
It was a joke: "tmo" is an abbreviation of talk.maemo.org which has been used a number of times.

The complete text from mobilecrunch is:
"This documents all specifically and repeatedly mention “TMO” launch targets. We’ve never seen this stand for anything besides T-Mobile in this context, and everything still makes perfect sense after swapping out every instance of “TMO” for “T-Mobile”. As such, we assume that is what they mean.
<joke>As they're not aware of talk.maemo.org, I can forgive them their obvious oversight.</joke>

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapointed by nokia, dpad, maemo phone, my tablet is crying, n900, nokia gets it wrong, openmoko, rover, rx-51, rx-71 needed, screen size, smartphone, t-mobile