Posts: 607 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Finland
Thanks!

Back to kdm. Does kdm need window manager to work?

Originally Posted by meizirkki View Post
I tried following i killed matchbox and hildon and started KDE 4.1 then i was able to log out, but the screen becomes black and it seems that kdm does not wiok correctly in diablo. kde shows a lot of dbus errors anyway so maby it does not work. Its fun to play with kde, i started xephyr and then kde inside the xephyr. KDE in maemo is a lot faster and eats less memory than KDE in debian chroot.
You have to start KDM manually, when the Xserver isn't running. Kdm starts X. It doesn't need any windowmanager.

To get KDM working, you have to modify the initscript so, that it starts kdm instead of X directly with matchbox, etc. You may also have to modify KDM, because the X server of the N800 is modified.

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Finland
I have n810 and i have also made some changes to kdm:s config files to make touchscreen work.

What is the KDM:s startup command? simply "kdm"?

Originally Posted by meizirkki View Post
I have n810 and i have also made some changes to kdm:s config files to make touchscreen work.

What is the KDM:s startup command? simply "kdm"?
Normally you should use the Initscript (for Debian based systems /etc/init.d/kdm start), but you should also be able, to start it via kdm.
(you need to be root)

Remeber that kdm tries to start the x server, so the X server has to be stopped before. As you can't normally reach the non-X console, you shold have to start it via ssh.

The Following User Says Thank You to kotzkind For This Useful Post: