Thanks for the hint. I figured out how to enable port 14238 in the firewall but no luck. I then disabled the firewall but that didn't help either. Still get "Failed (Can't connect) on the N800.

I'm just grasping at straws here, but does /dev/jpilot need to exist for network sync?

Originally Posted by rhkuo View Post
Am I correct in assuming then that jpilot calls pilot-xfer? Does pilot-xfer need to be running in the background?
No, they're independent programs that use the same library (libpisock) for communication to a PalmOS device.

You can check if jpilot is listening for incoming connections with "netstat -tln". If it is you will see something like this in the output:

Code:
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:14238           0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN
Thanks for the hint. I figured out how to enable port 14238 in the firewall but no luck. I then disabled the firewall but that didn't help either. Still get "Failed (Can't connect) on the N800.

I'm just grasping at straws here, but does /dev/jpilot need to exist for network sync?
No, I don't have one here.

If the firewall isn't blocking it anymore it should work. Can you try running "tcpdump -n -i eth0 tcp port 14238" on the PC (as root, and assuming eth0 is your active network interface), then start a hotsync attempt and post the tcpdump output here?

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
I'm stuck on this too. But in my case, my old palm TX
does a network hotsync to my computer without any
problem so there cannot be a firewall problem.

pilot-xfer -p net:any -l

works perfectly.

But the nokia network hotsync times out and fails

Edit: there is ZERO output from the tcpdump command when I
try to use the nokia; all sorts of good output with the TX.

Last edited by albright; 2008-06-14 at 19:50.

Hi Ima, I really appreciate your time spent helping me. I did the netstat command and it does show that jpilot is listening on the correct port.
However when I did the tcpdump command it just gives this message :

tcpdump: listening on eth1, link-type EN10MB (Ethernet), capture size 96 bytes

but no other output after I initiate the hotsync attempt. My network interface is eth1 so I did change it in the tcpdump parameters (I'm assuming that using eth1 shouldn't matter otherwise?).

???

I also tried this just now: pilot-xfer -p net: -l

and got this:
Unable to bind to port: net:
Please use --help for more information

I'm not sure what to make of this; I don't remember getting this error when I first started troubleshooting. I wonder if jpilot doesn't like "net:" but isn't reporting it.

However when I did the tcpdump command it just gives this message :

tcpdump: listening on eth1, link-type EN10MB (Ethernet), capture size 96 bytes

but no other output after I initiate the hotsync attempt.
At least that tells us that firewall or not the GVM is not reaching your PC. Can you also try tcpdump on the tablet side to see if traffic is getting out? You'll probably have to install it from the command line, but it's in the chinook free repository.

Can you also check your access point's firewall rules? Is there anything else between the tablet and the PC?

I also tried this just now: pilot-xfer -p net: -l

and got this:
Unable to bind to port: net:
Please use --help for more information
That probably just means that some other process (jpilot or another instance of pilot-xfer) is already listening on the hotsync port.

Can you also try tcpdump on the tablet side to see if traffic is getting out?
on mine, running tcpdump on the tablet then hotsync, generates
zero output on the tablet ... so it looks like my tablet is not
even trying to send any data out port 14238. Could it be trying
on another port?

rhkuo: since you said it works with Windows, does the PC have the same IP address when running Linux?

albright: Try tcpdump without any filter expression to capture all traffic. You should at least see some DNS or ARP queries on the "wire". Are you giving GVM a hostname or IP address for your PC? Check for any accidental typos (like a "," entered instead of a ".") just in case.

I am running a different IP address under Linux but I had changed it in the Garnet VM dialog. Haven't had a chance to try your suggestions yet (access point firewall access rules and tcpdump on n800) but the fact that hotsync works with windows makes me think that the problem has to exist on my Linux desktop.

What works for me, almost, is net:any. It requires the 'any'. My problem is that it continually loses the connection. It syncs one file, loses the connection, I have to kill that thread on my PC, restart the sync, and repeat for every single file. It's such a PITA that syncing is not worth the effort. My real Palm syncs effortlessly via the network, but the GVM is still not ready for prime time. It's marginally better than the first beta, giving full-screen capability, but other than that it's still a very bad kludge. I've been unable to sync my address and calendar data, and that's a deal-breaker. Everything else syncs, but no PIM, no good.

Tags
garnet, palm