Posts: 12 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Jul 2018 @ Pennsylvaina, USA
I post this reluctantly, but am currently at a loss at other ways to connect with the Sailfish community. I am a potential, new Sailfish user living in the USA, and after months of lurking, decided to make an account at together.jolla,com to ask a few questions. I can get as far as account.jolla.com, but "logging in" to the Together board (via username and email address) results in an Unhandled Exception error. This was over a week ago, and after waiting 24 hours, I opened a ticket with Jolla about the problem. I received an automated email from them last Friday that "due to the holiday season we will be able to handle your request only early next week". It's now late in the week and my ticket is still open with no response.
[...]

EDIT 26 July: Jolla did finally respond after about 8 working days. The login is still broken but it's apparently affecting many or all new signups and not just a limited subset. IMHO this doesn't reflect well on them as a company, but I've since connected with users here and will just have to wait it out. No need to reply unless you also want to vent.

Last edited by thetao; 2018-07-26 at 22:44. Reason: updates

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to thetao For This Useful Post:
Posts: 433 | Thanked: 727 times | Joined on Oct 2012 @ Costa Blanca, Espaņa
You'll likely come up against a lot of issues with Jolla that you may regard as unprofessional, so I'll take the opportunity to inform you that, Jolla is a small company with a small set of staff and what seems to be, a very limited budget.

I've been using a Jolla mobile phone since they got started around 5 years ago, there is still much to sort/fix/polish regarding all corners of the OS. Then there is the platform upon which TJC (together.jolla.com) operates on, known as Askbot, which many say is really not suitable for community use. Personally for me, I've got used to the way TJC (askbot) works.

I have yet to make the transition from Jolla1 (nickname for the first device) to the Sony XperiaX, as I read about way too many problems with the OS on the that device, but some are happy with it and some are not ~ this will always be the way regardless of the device in any situation/company.

It is not uncommon to not get a reply from Jolla, sometimes, emails/messages just go under the radar,.....why?, I have absolutely no idea whatsoever.

This is not a rant, nor is it meant to be anti-jolla in any way shape or form, but I do recognise that there are many problems with the devices and the company as a whole. All said and done, I still love my ageing Jolla1 and play/program/hack/crack on a daily basis.

Good luck,

Last edited by Markkyboy; 2018-07-28 at 12:27.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Markkyboy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
This "Jolla is a small company" excuse really has to stop. I worked for a much smaller company of just 18 and we always made sure to keep our infrastructure running and to reply to customers in a timely manner. Anything else is a sign of contempt.

Having said that, there are worse companies. I have had a ticket open with a certain budget airline (not the infamous Irish one, but similar) for two weeks now and all I have so far is also just an automatic email.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Had the same problem, same response...if they don't want our money, they might stay a "small" company...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to emro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 433 | Thanked: 727 times | Joined on Oct 2012 @ Costa Blanca, Espaņa
Careful what you say about Jolla being small, it's a poor excuse and must stop, apparently

The Following User Says Thank You to Markkyboy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 862 | Thanked: 2,511 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Germany
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
This "Jolla is a small company" excuse really has to stop. I worked for a much smaller company of just 18 and we always made sure to keep our infrastructure running and to reply to customers in a timely manner. Anything else is a sign of contempt.
I think it is not an excuse it is an information that could depict the reason. It also depends on how many customers and how many emails are incoming per day.
So it could be a sign of contempt which would be really bad, or it could be also a sign of not enough resources which means a fail of properly running a business.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Halftux For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
So start creating a new mobile OS...
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following User Says Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Posts: 12 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Jul 2018 @ Pennsylvaina, USA
Originally Posted by Markkyboy View Post
You'll likely come up against a lot of issues with Jolla that you may regard as unprofessional, so I'll take the opportunity to inform you that, Jolla is a small company with a small set of staff and what seems to be, a very limited budget.
Yes, I am getting that impression. I am reminded of a comment I hear occasionally that "Europe shuts down in the summer". Some of you would know better than me. But I also remember the time I worked for a company of <10 and we would each take turns collecting trash on Fridays. (Thankfully, the owner always volunteered to clean the bathroom.) You do it because you know there is nobody else. If Jolla's current slow tech support response is a case of (for example) having three support reps, but letting two of them go on holiday simultaneously, I think that's unacceptable. As is letting a customer-facing server go unfixed for weeks. This is why we have laptops and VPN's. Because nobody else is going to do it.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to thetao For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Halftux View Post
So it could be a sign of contempt which would be really bad, or it could be also a sign of not enough resources
That amounts to the same thing. I you do not have enough staff, then hire more. Or recruit staff from other departments to answer support calls in crisis (yes, I worked in a company that did that quite regularly).

Doing nothing and hiding behind a "small company" excuse means you do not consider those issues important enough. Not considering your customers important is the same as treating them with contempt.

Either that or...

a fail of properly running a business.
Amen!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rcolistete View Post
So start creating a new mobile OS...
Seriously? Every hint of criticism of anything to do with Jolla and Sailfish*) has always to be rebutted with, "if you don't like it, do it yourself"? Why are then people surprised that Sailfish*) is forever a niche OS and Jolla forever a small company?

*) and Linux in general

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post: