Active Topics

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by lancewex View Post
You can use Dolphin or Opera APKs also on Sailfish. Are those not up to your standards? You spend enough time here that I am sure you should have been prepared for the shortcomings of SFOS, and known that some adjustments would have to be made. Why do you seem surprised? I am finding my own short-comings (copy and paste, MMS on U.S. T-mobile, bare-bones email client), but so far am warming to it. I am giving and much, much more time.
I could. but should I? when I can pick up any other device and have it out of the box.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
...choice is taken away.

A massive screen may be for you but not everyone is you. There are customers who want smaller screens. I lined up the N900 (3.5"), N9 (4"), Jolla (4.5") and all the tablets found around the house (7", 8" and 10") before my daughter and she picked the N9 size, but conceded that a Jolla size would do if smaller is not available. I will have to disappoint her. My wife, father, sister, niece and all my colleagues I spoke to on the topic also bemoaned the size of what is on offer. You will never convince me that manufacturers "respond to demand". They simply do not give you the choice.
Get your daughter an iPhone 5s. It's still powerful enough to last for another year or two and is 4''. IIRC, jailbreak is available for it too.

The Following User Says Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 602 | Thanked: 735 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Nantes, France
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
...choice is taken away.

A massive screen may be for you but not everyone is you. There are customers who want smaller screens. I lined up the N900 (3.5"), N9 (4"), Jolla (4.5") and all the tablets found around the house (7", 8" and 10") before my daughter and she picked the N9 size, but conceded that a Jolla size would do if smaller is not available. I will have to disappoint her. My wife, father, sister, niece and all my colleagues I spoke to on the topic also bemoaned the size of what is on offer. You will never convince me that manufacturers "respond to demand". They simply do not give you the choice.
Eagerly waiting for a X Compact SFOS port...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to romu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 559 | Thanked: 1,017 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Finland
Finnish tech site iotech.fi has published a long article (written by a site user FlyingAntero) about SailfishX:

https://www.io-tech.fi/artikkelit/lu...sony-xperia-x/

Unfortunately only in Finnish

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OVK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 127 | Thanked: 203 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Switzerland
Pictures taken with the Xperia X SailfishX are really poor unfortunately.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to maximilian1st For This Useful Post:
Does anyone else have this problem and is there a solution?

OpenVPN is set up to connect automatically, and wifi is set up too. The issue is that when the VPN is connected the mobile data connection is retained even when wifi is in range.

The expected behaviour would be that switching to wifi from mobile data would be done automatically and the VPN would reconnect via the wifi, but it is surmised that this could be a security risk. There is no constant flow of data through the VPN (in this user case), so maybe it is possible to get the device to pause any data being sent or received, switch to wifi, and then reconnect to the VPN, and resume data transmission/reception?

It seems to be ok with disconnecting from the wifi (when it is out of range) and switching to mobile data and reconnecting to the VPN, but the return to wifi must be done manually it seems.

Can the priority be edited or something?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to oenone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 290 | Thanked: 385 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Madrid, Spain
Hi.

I have a similar configuration but I'm just curious about your settings:

Is your WiFi always active so that it can connect when configured APs are in range or you managed to turn WiFi / Cellular on and off automatically?

Also, for the normal exchange of information between applications each layer must notify the 'upper' layers / apps the problems with connectivity and the upper layers / apps react accordingly.... (this is what I can recall from the OSI standard model :-D ).

For example: if you have an active ssh session and you switch the 'underneath' transport layer from WiFi to Cellular Data or from Cellular Data to WiFi, the ssh software should (and it does) keep track of disconnection / re-connection and resume working as if nothing happened, provided the time required to reconnect is short enough....

For VPN connectivity I use SecureFishNet: it's not opensource, but I haven't had time to solve my VPN problems with Connmand
Regards.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pasko For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pasko View Post
Hi.

I have a similar configuration but I'm just curious about your settings:

Is your WiFi always active so that it can connect when configured APs are in range or you managed to turn WiFi / Cellular on and off automatically?

Also, for the normal exchange of information between applications each layer must notify the 'upper' layers / apps the problems with connectivity and the upper layers / apps react accordingly.... (this is what I can recall from the OSI standard model :-D ).

For example: if you have an active ssh session and you switch the 'underneath' transport layer from WiFi to Cellular Data or from Cellular Data to WiFi, the ssh software should (and it does) keep track of disconnection / re-connection and resume working as if nothing happened, provided the time required to reconnect is short enough....

For VPN connectivity I use SecureFishNet: it's not opensource, but I haven't had time to solve my VPN problems with Connmand
Regards.
Wifi is usually always active as is mobile data. Device is expected to do the switcharoo as necessary/possible. Not using SecureFishNet but using the built-in client which works great after having added the following line to the configuration file to ensure all traffic goes through the VPN:

Code:
redirect-gateway def1
"Wifikiller" application from OpenRepos but it didn't seem to work properly (or was not configured to work properly) so wifi stays on all the time, sadly.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to oenone For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
What are peeps using for voice navigation? I have poor maps and scout server but nothing else
I'm using Saera with the flite voices. Unfortunately alsa/pulseaudio is broken on Sailfish X, so voice input doesn't work.

The ALSA issue is strange. I haven't seen any reference to it on the thread, but it was present in the community build as well as the official image. The two applications it affects (that I've found so far) are CuteSpot and Saera. In CuteSpot, songs "play" but produce no sound output. In Saera, it affects input; both the python script (which uses alsaaudio) which displays the input volume and Julius (the voice recognition engine) see no sound input. Anyone else able to confirm this issue?

The Following User Says Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
Get your daughter an iPhone 5s... IIRC, jailbreak is available for it too.
A bit OT, but yes and no. The jailbreakability depends on the iOS version the phone happens to be on when you get your hands on the device. If it's too recent (say iOS 11, ATM), then good luck with that.

(Apple being Apple, you are normally not allowed to downgrade (yes, on certain terms it's possible, but you would need to have SHSH blobs saved earlier and I'm not sure whether even with those a downgrade is guaranteed). Nowadays, jailbreaking as a process is almost a joke compared to what it once was: recently the Windows jailbreak software is available first, Macs come second if at all, the jb might be a hit'n miss and/or riddled with bugs and usually you can't even upgrade to the latest jailbreakable iOS version at the time the jb finally is available as they come so late that a newer iOS version already exists. So you would often need to lose a previous jb by upgrading beforehand at the moment there's even a hint of a jb for whatever iOS version Apple allows you to upgrade and hope for the best all the while using your phone without a jb.)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tmi For This Useful Post:

Tags
sailfish os, sony xperia x