Originally Posted by jakibaki View Post
There are two flash-modes on the Xperia X:

The (pretty much universal) fastboot mode and a more "powerful" sony-specific flash-mode.

There is a special partition on which Jolla is supposed to put the xperia-x blobs on (closed source drivers, which are unfortunately necessary on all current smartphones).

This special partition is by default not writable in fastboot mode.
So Sony is providing an update that enables this special partition to be written using fastboot.
This update can only officially be installed using emma, the flash-tool by Sony (which works with the sony-specific flash-mode).
After that the blobs can be written to the special partition in fastboot-mode.

That is the official ways of doing things; there are ways around the requirement of emma by writing the speical partition while the phone is booted up or in recovery-mode but these are unofficial for now.
Yep.
Although, I am pretty certain the updated bootloader which enables the new feature (by Sony) can be grabbed, and then flashed using flashtool by androxyde from XDA.
Once I get the X and the official image I will test this out hehe.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:
Anyone have any clue if VIsa Travelmoney or a Travelex Mastercard might be an accepted method of payment come general sales on the 11th?

Last edited by trashHeap; 2017-10-04 at 19:33.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trashHeap For This Useful Post:
Posts: 120 | Thanked: 843 times | Joined on Jul 2015 @ Berlin, Germany
Originally Posted by nieldk View Post
Yep.
Although, I am pretty certain the updated bootloader which enables the new feature (by Sony) can be grabbed, and then flashed using flashtool by androxyde from XDA.
Once I get the X and the official image I will test this out hehe.
The image can already be downloaded here.
I think it's the right one judging by the version number but i'm not fully certain.
If someone could flash it with flashtool and confirm/deny if the oem-partition is writable via fastboot after updating that would be great! (I don't want to do it myself because my Xperia X is my daily driver right now)

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jakibaki For This Useful Post:
Posts: 88 | Thanked: 411 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ southern Italy
Here's your order:
Sailfish X: Sailfish OS for Sony Xperia™ X
Can't wait to shout "shut up and get my money!"

Re-installing the native Android OS may not be possible and is not recommended, as you will not get all of the Android functionality back.
Translates as: "you won't be able to sell an Android Xperia X in future". Who actually cares? (note also the "sale is final, no refund if you regret purchase").

purchasing Sailfish X outside of the Authorized Countries is prohibited.
Translates as: "just wait a little more".

align the wider sales opening to start at the same time with the SW distribution
Translates as: "we already know that our servers will be hit by a massive number of clients"

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to alfmar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
Originally Posted by alfmar View Post
Re-installing the native Android OS may not be possible and is not recommended, as you will not get all of the Android functionality back.
Translates as: "you won't be able to sell an Android Xperia X in future". Who actually cares? (note also the "sale is final, no refund if you regret purchase").
They're talking about losing the functionality associated with wiping the DRM keys here.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mrsellout For This Useful Post:
Posts: 52 | Thanked: 226 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ CZ & US ex-(UK/France/Switzerland/Canada)
Originally Posted by meatbiscuit View Post
Thanks for making it possible for us SFOS supporters that happen to be stateside. I can't send PMs, even though I've had this account for almost 8 years..., is this offer still available?
It surely is. In my profile, there should also be a link to my homepage with all the contact-info. Feel free to email me instead of a PMing (although a PM here is perhaps easier)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wolda For This Useful Post:
Posts: 127 | Thanked: 203 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Switzerland
This part really bothers me:

"Re-installing the native Android OS may not be possible and is not recommended, as you will not get all of the Android functionality back."

It would be a shame to not have the possibility to flash the phone back to it's original state with DRM keys and all.

Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
After all, 99.999999% of all sattelite receiveres are way more linux than any phone and yet, there's no linux channel editor. At least I never found one.
Because you use the wrong receiver ;-p
https://dreamboxedit.com/

Last edited by maximilian1st; 2017-10-04 at 19:43.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to maximilian1st For This Useful Post:
Posts: 120 | Thanked: 843 times | Joined on Jul 2015 @ Berlin, Germany
Originally Posted by maximilian1st View Post
It would be a shame to not have the possibility to flash the phone back to it's original state with DRM keys and all.
You can still backup the drm keys and restore them without problems, it's just that Jolla won't officially support such a solution.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jakibaki For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by mariusmssj View Post
Sorry to be sound stupid but just trying to get my head around all of this.

We need to use EMMA tool to flash Xperia X with a sony android image that is more open than the one installed. After which you use the flash script to flash SFOS onto it?
Yes and you have to pay Microsoft for a windows **** license to flash a Linux phone. Thats the mos fun of all.

And yes I don't care if there is an unofficial flasher that "may" be used in Linux since not even Jolla is sure it will/is possible.

Thats an epic fail. To them who don't understand it I DONT HAVE WINDOWS AND I DONT WILL NOT BUY A WINDOWS LICENCE?

did you people get my point now or should I repeat one more time!?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 127 | Thanked: 203 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by jakibaki View Post
You can still backup the drm keys and restore them without problems, it's just that Jolla won't officially support such a solution.
I will dive into the subject before installing sailfish on the phone.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to maximilian1st For This Useful Post:

Tags
sailfish os, sony xperia x