Active Topics

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8WnJGyshig

Not sure what is best. This or unity? Both looks pretty solid.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
First of all I'm not more confident about Tizen than jolla.
Could've fooled everyone here....

It's just that Jolla has showed the world some kind of device samsung has not.
So since I know more about jolla device and less about Tizen and ubuntu devices I have lot more interest in them since they are unrevealed and unknown.
And if it had been the other way around, you would've been poo-poo'ing Jolla for knowing less compared to Tizen & Ubuntu devices.
We rarely (if ever) see the same level of criticism towards Samsung/Canonical from you, I wonder why.

Lol, you are more of a fanboy than I thought why do you care what I and others post in this thread if you don't beleive in tizen?
I never said I don't believe in Tizen, I hope it does well, but I also hope it's overall openness improves a great deal before that happens, there's still too much vagueness there.
And I'd prefer to see them adopt another dev framework like Qt instead of remaining so HTML5-centric (if Jupiter broadcasting's to be believed, they may be moving that way).
Also, instead of just moving touchwiz across to Tizen, it would be nice if they'd be so bold as to more dramatically reinvent the UX for Tizen, they certainly had the resources/time.

Legwork? I told you before. I was elected to lead not to read but if you don't know how I roll by know, I can tell you that this is my style. Did the same in n900 thread, n9 thread, jolla thread and now tizen thread
Yeah, it's unfortunate really, it makes for horrid reading for most involved...
In case you don't remember, it's actually why the original main Jolla thread was moved to off-topic.

By the way, Jalyst. If you feel threatened by this thread jalyst. you can relax. Just check out my poll over here. Jolla has rock solid support over tizen:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=85362&page=8
Well, that's not terribly surprising in a maemo.org thread...
Arbitrary polls like that have never meant much anyway, no matter the format or internet audience, there's better data for collating trends.

You are Maybe right or maybe wrong. Smallness vs connections? It all depends on how Google looking at their play store. They might want to spread it instead lock it since they don't make the real money on android?
Fair point.....

And finally just for you jalyst. great tizen news:
http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/24/436...platform-tizen
Good man, keep up the good work!

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-05-29 at 11:42. Reason: clarification

What's great is game companies have started porting their games to Tizen. I've posted a lot of videos I took at the Tizen developer conference last week: http://tizentalk.com

A few points:

* Tizen supports HTML 5, native, and hybrid
* There is a group of folks porting Qt to Tizen. They also have Thiago (Intel) and the 2 folks heading the initiative (from Samsung) -- of course all unofficially. I did get to chat with Thiago about his thoughts on Qt on Tizen Mobile and he said it would be great but the file sizes of the apps will be the problem
* Tizen IVI has MeeGo/Maemo roots, Tizen mobile doesn't. I wouldn't be surprised if Samsung just focuses on mobile, and Intel on IVI (think chips) Someone tweeted this pic which clearly shows the relationships of the OSes:

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Reggie For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Looking at the video and I say Tizen is:

BOOOORING OS

nothing new. Just hype. Seriously just Hype.
I'll take a boring OS over a dead OS anyday.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
What's great is game companies have started porting their games to Tizen. I've posted a lot of videos I took at the Tizen developer conference last week: http://tizentalk.com

A few points:

* There is a group of folks porting Qt to Tizen. They also have Thiago (Intel) and the 2 folks heading the initiative (from Samsung) -- of course all unofficially. I did get to chat with Thiago about his thoughts on Qt on Tizen Mobile and he said it would be great but the file sizes of the apps will be the problem
* Tizen IVI has MeeGo/Maemo roots, Tizen mobile doesn't. I wouldn't be surprised if Samsung just focuses on mobile, and Intel on IVI (think chips) Someone tweeted this pic which clearly shows the relationships of the OSes:
So Ubuntu, Sailfish and Tizen should all be friends. Would be cool if they could find a way to give the user the option to install the OS on their device. If you bought and Ubuntu device you could install sailfish and the other way around.

I really hope the real consumer devices doesn't look like those demo devices. It seems like they have super glued a Galaxy s3 together with a SONY phone. They seems pretty big also, but could OFC be a bit bigger at release. Lets hope so. Great games even though I'm not a gamer

The browser score very well!

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-05-29 at 17:06.

Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
Yeah but native is so boring on Tizen ATM, & it certainly isn't the primary focus, aside from serious games ofc, which is pretty much mandatory still.

Yeah read all about that, would rather see much stronger/official support...

Tizen mobile doesn't. I wouldn't be surprised if Samsung just focuses on mobile, and Intel on IVI (think chips) Someone tweeted this pic which clearly shows the relationships of the OSes:
Nice, thanks....

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-05-29 at 19:14.

What I found strange is that Jolla and sailfish choose two different companies when it comes to running android applications. Would have been much smarter to use the same one, the best one.

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
What I found strange is that Jolla and sailfish choose two different companies when it comes to running android applications.
Would have been much smarter to use the same one, the best one.
Eh? No they haven't...
Jolla's flavour of Sailfish is the only one that uses a Android app compat. layer, & that's AlienDalvik (Myriad).

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-05-29 at 19:16.

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Eh? No they haven't...
Jolla's flavour of Sailfish is the only one that uses a Android app compat. layer, & that's AlienDalvik (Myriad).
Tizen and sailfish I mean, sorry for that confusing typo.
So what is openmobile using? And why not using myriad in tizen if that is better. How do we know what is best?

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-05-29 at 19:24.

It's not something Samsung has been hugely supporting, OpenMobile has been moving towards supporting Tizen since the start of last yr, perhaps earlier.
That's been their approach for ages now, "go broad", irrespective of whether there's any official tie-up...

Tags
clunky, death rules, mike_tizen, titzen, tizen == kebab, tizen rules, tizen_day, tjamtjung, yet still sucks, zen and tizen