Originally Posted by wolke View Post
since youre always transcoding videos exactly the same for a given device, i find it to be quite straightforward. i do it automatically with an ffmpeg script, and i find it to be not much slower than just copying the gigantic movie in the first place.
Would you please guide me how to to do it? I'm using windows 7 x64. Any free readymade software? Thanks.

im sorry, no.

i have never used windows 7, nor windows 6. or 5.
or 4, 3, 2, 1...BOOOM!

i only use real operating systems, not flashy toys for rich playboys on their yachts. i say, good chap! if you have that much money to burn, you might want to use GNU/Linux (C). i know the price is steep, but the software is just so much more refined and tasteful.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wolke For This Useful Post:
Posts: 230 | Thanked: 302 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Helsinki, Suomi (Finland)
Could you share the ffmpeg script you use?

PS. I don't think we need any OS flamewars here.

Please don't post anything illegal on this thread. Thanks.

Community Council | Posts: 664 | Thanked: 1,648 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Hamburg
Originally Posted by ayaztgi View Post
Would you please guide me how to to do it? I'm using windows 7 x64. Any free readymade software? Thanks.
Have a look here. XMedia Recode can batch-encode multiple files too.
Current Maemo Community Council member

The Following User Says Thank You to Win7Mac For This Useful Post:
Posts: 329 | Thanked: 422 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ derpton
im sorry, no.

i have never used windows 7, nor windows 6. or 5.
or 4, 3, 2, 1...BOOOM!

i only use real operating systems, not flashy toys for rich playboys on their yachts. i say, good chap! if you have that much money to burn, you might want to use GNU/Linux (C). i know the price is steep, but the software is just so much more refined and tasteful.
Woah, somebody should get off their high horse...

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
This thread appears to be a reprise of an earlier one.

Originally Posted by marxian View Post
For many people these days, their time is more valuable than that of the phone CPU/GPU. Not many want to spend time re-encoding their video collection (plus storing two copies of the same video) for use on their phone.
I do! I waste my valuable sleeping time by kicking off a batch of re-encodes before going to bed. And, by reducing the resolution of my videos, I also end up reducing the file size, which means I'm wasting far less space when I store them on my phone.

Originally Posted by ayaztgi View Post
My favorite tool is the open-source program Handbrake. It works on most platforms (and will take full advantage of your 64 bit processor). It has lots of different presets available, but I usually just ignore them and manage the settings myself. I go for a minimalist H.264 encoding, which usually works fine; after selecting H.264 as my codec, I go to the "advanced" tab, set "Maximum B-Frames" to 0, and switch off "CABAC Entropy Coding", "8x8 Transform", and "Weighted P-Frames". After that, just choose the resolution you want, and set the thing off and running.

The Following User Says Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 896 | Thanked: 978 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Greece, Athens
[..]playing videos where the size in pixels of the images displayed exceeds the size in pixels of the screen is a waste of computation[..]
yeah this ^

---

If you watch videos from the device.. you should encode them with a resolution that is the same with the resolution of your screen (if you want to achieve best viewing experience).

Anything higher than that won't make a difference.

of course if you plug the phone to a tv (hdtv) , well then you can put 720p/1080i (if supported by phone or/and tv) films in it.
unfortunately the N9 does not have an HDMI port

so, always try to watch 480 x 854 videos (or at least as close to this resolution as possible. more or less)

Last edited by HELLASISGREECE; 2012-10-21 at 21:16.

Since it is a topic about encoding, I'll ask a question.
Is there a way to encode videos so that they appear in gallery and not videos? I have a lot of videos from my previous phones and would like to have them in the same place as my photos.
I would also like to compress my n9 videos because they take a lot of space without loosing them from gallery.

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by HELLASISGREECE View Post
of course if you plug the phone to a tv (hdtv) , well then you can put 720p/1080i (if supported by phone or/and tv) films in it.
unfortunately the N9 does not have an HDMI port
BTW, a lot of HDTVs now have the ability to play videos themselves, and have USB ports to connect to an external storage device (such as an N900 or N9). No HDMI port needed!

The Following User Says Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post: