I've been researching about the best governors and io schedulers for the NOTE and the majority agree that...

The best governors are:
1) Pegasusq
2) Lulzactive
3) SmartassV2
4) Ondemand
5) Hotplug
6) Interactive
... and the rest.

And for IO Scheduler:
1) VR
2) CFQ
3) SIO

The TRUTH I found was a much more muddy view. And straight from recognized kernel and governor developers, they've all confirmed that the marketing and benchmarking above doesn't correlate with actual performance and battery life. This is because this is a
new generation of smartphones, gone are the restraints of *Slow* Single-core processors, with ample RAM, on the old 2.2 - 3.2 kernel builds.

We now posses larger batteries, new Android (4.03/ 4.04/ 4.1/ 4.11) kernel, 1GB RAM and *Fast* Dual Cores. The problems of yesteryears hardware and software don't apply, so our solution should be different too. In fact they recommend...

The best governors are:
1) InteractiveX2
2) HotplugX
3) Ondemand
... then lulzactive ~ pegasusq >>> smartassV2

And for IO Schedulers:
1) SIO
... then the rest

The best practice would be to use developer recommended governors and sio scheduler, for an extensive period (1-2 days) of testing. Once you discover what works best for you, you can go further with Voltage Control tweaking. For instance, UC your lowest frequency, OC your highest frequency and UV each step to the STABILITY NEEDS of your device.

Each unit is UNIQUE, and by this procedure we can extend battery life by another 1-1.5hour per cycle, while maintaining or increasing performance.

I'm flattered

Last edited by Kangal; 2012-07-18 at 10:00.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I'm losing battry faster now after upgrade to 4.0.4, I'm using swiftkey. Anyone have any solid lead if swiftkey sucking battary power like crazy?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
In the past few minutes Hardcore made available his latest SpeedMod kernel, which works well with latest ics 4.0.4.
Great speed and smoothness!
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=28909993
Go test it...
Thanks for the info. I always find your posts quite helpful. I guess I'm a bit conservative trying out these mods. I currently have ics 4.0.4, rooted, a bunch of applications, ubuntu 12.04 and a few other programs that require root. My impression is that, as is, the G Note is very responsive, smooth and it has become quite useful for many of the every day things I do. As a result, I'm a little reluctant to change it much more other than adding some new program. So what are the compelling arguments for adopting these kernals? Is there a video that shows the Galaxy Note with SpeedMod in full glory. I kind of went though this same thing with the N900 and didn't try, for example CSSU until I bought another to play with. Anyways, what is all the fun I'm missing when by not using these kernals? I await to bask in the radiance of your great knowledge. Anyone else is welcome to chime in as well!

The Following User Says Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
SpeedMod K3-9 = latest Samsung 4.0.4 kernel (-) MMC_CAP_ERASE (+) r00t (+) custom recovery
So SpeedMod is a *safe* kernel, and is developer ready.

The kernels you meant to ask about are the "AOSP" kernels. They're pretty much a new, entire kernel built from scratch using code from different sources. They are always inferior to OEM kernels in terms of stability, battery life, performance and features. However, as development proceeds it gets the missing features and more, gets more stable, more smooth and saves more battery... becomes and overall more efficient kernel. And they support third-party [ROMs] that have more customizations/features than OEM Roms.

If you have to ask "is it worth it" then you've answered your own question. Until you ask "I need this feature" or "how do I do this", then you might begin to investigate and understand a little further, changing your question into "how can I flash it" and "when will it be ready".

I'm flattered

The Following User Says Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
SpeedMod K3-9 = latest Samsung 4.0.4 kernel (-) MMC_CAP_ERASE (+) r00t (+) custom recovery
So SpeedMod is a *safe* kernel, and is developer ready.

The kernels you meant to ask about are the "AOSP" kernels. They're pretty much a new, entire kernel built from scratch using code from different sources. They are always inferior to OEM kernels in terms of stability, battery life, performance and features. However, as development proceeds it gets the missing features and more, gets more stable, more smooth and saves more battery... becomes and overall more efficient kernel. And they support third-party [ROMs] that have more customizations/features than OEM Roms.

If you have to ask "is it worth it" then you've answered your own question. Until you ask "I need this feature" or "how do I do this", then you might begin to investigate and understand a little further, changing your question into "how can I flash it" and "when will it be ready".
Thanks for the information. I stumbled upon this thread

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1673072

which has all the details concerning SpeedMod. Many tweaks and performance improvements. To use this kernal do you need to first downgrade to gingerbread to avoid the EMMC hardbrick bug? Or can you start form ics 4.04?

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
As far as I understand, provided you do not issue any wipe command, you can safely overwrite a kernel. I routinely.use Mobile Odin Pro for that.
On my device, I installed 4.0.4 stock German LRG upon 4.0.3 with SpeedMod, after wiping cache and Dalvik cache while still in SpeedMod kernel, which is safe.
Then CfRoot kernel over 4.0.4 stock kernel (which is unsafe, but since I didn't wipe there was no risk).
Then, lastly, SpeedMod k3-9 over CfRoot.

SpeedMod seems notably quicker than CfRoot out stock... When I have my inlaw Note available, which is 4.0.4 with CfRoot, I'll try a head-to-had comparison.

The Following User Says Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
As far as I understand, provided you do not issue any wipe command, you can safely overwrite a kernel. I routinely.use Mobile Odin Pro for that.
On my device, I installed 4.0.4 stock German LRG upon 4.0.3 with SpeedMod, after wiping cache and Dalvik cache while still in SpeedMod kernel, which is safe.
Then CfRoot kernel over 4.0.4 stock kernel (which is unsafe, but since I didn't wipe there was no risk).
Then, lastly, SpeedMod k3-9 over CfRoot.

SpeedMod seems notably quicker than CfRoot out stock... When I have my inlaw Note available, which is 4.0.4 with CfRoot, I'll try a head-to-had comparison.
Thanks! I'd be quite interested in the comparison. Good if it is right from a fresh boot up or restart.

In an earlier post there was interest in connecting/disconnecting WIFI based on location. Anyone ever play with "Tasker". It looks a little complicated but seems to give you many options for controling device.

Some leaks online, looks like the NOTE 2 will be:

- officially revealed in 15th August
- available (international) in September-October period
- codename GT-N7100
- Android 4.0.4 with TouchWizz 5
- Have the same SoC as the SGS3 (Exynos 4412)
- Slightly overclocked cpu (1.6GHz) and gpu (Mali-400)
- Larger 2GB RAM

- Super Amoled Plus tech (not PenTile)
- 1280 x 720 resolution
- On-screen Navigation Buttons
- Slightly larger 5.5inch display
- Slightly Wider, Thinner, about the same Height.
- 12MP camera
- NFC
- Possibly bigger battery (between 2500 and 3200mAh)

... it's more like a NOTE1.5 or SGS 3.5 than anything else. I think its safe to "pass" on this, if you have the original NOTE.
This revelation isn't a shock to me, but a big disappointment since I was hoping for a genuine NOTE 2:

I'm flattered

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
What, non even shipping with Jelly Bean ? Is this a joke or something ? I'll stick with my 4.04 NOTE-1 then :-)

Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
Some leaks online, looks like the NOTE 2 will be:

- officially revealed in 15th August
- available (international) in September-October period
- codename GT-N7100
- Android 4.0.4 with TouchWizz 5
- Have the same SoC as the SGS3 (Exynos 4412)
- Slightly overclocked cpu (1.6GHz) and gpu (Mali-400)
- Larger 2GB RAM

- Super Amoled Plus tech (not PenTile)
- 1280 x 720 resolution
- On-screen Navigation Buttons
- Slightly larger 5.5inch display
- Slightly Wider, Thinner, about the same Height.
- 12MP camera
- NFC
- Possibly bigger battery (between 2500 and 3200mAh)

... it's more like a NOTE1.5 or SGS 3.5 than anything else. I think its safe to "pass" on this, if you have the original NOTE.
This revelation isn't a shock to me, but a big disappointment since I was hoping for a genuine NOTE 2:
Hmmm... Some of these specs don't seem so bad to me. 2GB RAM (will help with multitasking), 12MP Camera (I know you need to consider other factors besides MP but it could be helpful) Quad core CPU, 5.5 inch screen (probably to accommodate home button), a little thinner, better battery. I like it. It would be disappointing if it doesn't come with Jelly bean. What do you think is better: super amoled plus tech with 1280x720 or 1280x800 pentile? As a workhorse device that could be used with docking station it might be quite good. I would say its rather a NOTE1.8. 1.5 seems a bit too low! Anyways, it's perhaps a little premature to know what its true specs are but it is fun to speculate!

The Following User Says Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:

Tags
android, galaxy note