Active Topics

Lots of juicy details in this interview: http://www.intomobile.com/2012/07/11...ext-available/

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Extremely unlikely IMO but could Jolla be partnering with Amazon/OpenACL on this?
http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/11/w...to-5-inch-dev/
Would be a huge boost to their chances if it were true but I find it hard to see it happening.

Originally Posted by jotoco View Post
Multi-tasking the way the n900, n9 and Symbian does is something I really use.

My use case:

1 - Open Browser;
2 - Open A page, while A page loads (because of slow internet), open B page;
3 - Open E-mail, while it downloads, go back to A page;
4 - Read A page, decide I want to listen to music;
5 - Open music player and put some music;
6 - Open emails, read some, returns to A page;
7 - Finish reading A page, opens C page and while it loads go to B page;
8 - Goes back to email, opens random attachment;
9 - Reads said attachment, goes to back to email;
10 - Closes email, goes to page B;
11 - Decide I want to take a walk, so Sports Tracker better be open, or open it now;
12 - On page B, finds random video on Youtube, open it;
13 - While said video loads, go to page C;
14 - goes on and on...
All of this can be done with the iPhone. Except, perhaps, the YouTube thing. I haven't tested as I haven't had that need myself. There are a lot of misconceptions about how iPhone's multitasking works on this forum.

Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Extremely unlikely IMO but could Jolla be partnering with Amazon/OpenACL on this?
http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/11/w...to-5-inch-dev/
Would be a huge boost to their chances if it were true but I find it hard to see it happening.
they will use android

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Wouldn't it be satisfying and ironic if the new company's MeeGo team does well enough to buy Nokia?
what by the time Nokia is worthless and they could buy it for a stupidly low amount? It really would.

Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
what by the time Nokia is worthless and they could buy it for a stupidly low amount? It really would.
Nokia own too many patents to go under just like that, but with trojan horse elop they could sell themselves to M$

Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
Which is, as I've said a few times, the same "multitasking" decades old PalmOS had -- popularly considered "single tasking".
(On iOS multitasking)

That statement is wrong. PalmOS closed applications completely, then reopened them. Much as iOS 1.0 did (although even there the kernel supported multitasking and some of Apple's own apps did it). There was zero multitasking in at least the PalmOS versions people would be most familiar with.

There are upsides and downsides to both approaches (full multitasking, vs controlled iOS style). The upsides to iOS are really the much better control of battery and memory usage. A real compromise for a full pocket computer could be to have iOS limitations when on battery power, and full multitasking when on the grid. I don't really fancy calculating fractals in the background when on the move, sucking my battery...

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by lma View Post
It would be, but why would they want to? What assets does Nokia still possess that are desirable if you are not a patent troll?
Plenty of patents, trademarks, copyrights and other resources they could buy off to help them stuff their portfolio to both look more attractive to bankers/investors as well as use as defense against submarine/troll parents.

Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
I'm tellin' you! You can probably buy the stock cheaper than the snacks from the vending machine in their break rooms!
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

To me this starts looking fishy. Open source project should not be shrouded in secrecy like everything about Jolla. Just saying.

What about ecosystem? Apps, services? A fully open system using the web for most of the services I understand, but from what I gather of information, they are headed elsewhere.

Way too much confusion talk by Jolla to be taken seriously at this time.

Originally Posted by specc View Post
To me this starts looking fishy. Open source project should not be shrouded in secrecy like everything about Jolla. Just saying.

What about ecosystem? Apps, services? A fully open system using the web for most of the services I understand, but from what I gather of information, they are headed elsewhere.

Way too much confusion talk by Jolla to be taken seriously at this time.
lack of information increases curiosity, news articles trying to get ahead over other with a bit more information. This could an advertising move

Tags
jolla, jolla on topic, jollamobile, meego, merproject, nokia, nokian9, professionals, speculations, tizenjolla