Posts: 252 | Thanked: 597 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Denmark
Hi,

First I'll say that I love my N900

A mobile computer with QWERTY keyboard running Debian GNU/Linux.
It has an open source hildon-desktop, terminal, web browser, media player and all that nice stuff, but the battery life is really killing me.
On a busy day it only last about 8-10 hrs. with dimet screen.

So my question is should I keep my N900 as an internet tablet and buy a new smartphone as my primary phone or just keep my N900 as my primary phone?

And if I should buy a new phone, why should it be the N9?

Nexus Prime

Pros:
Fresh updates from Google direcly
Vanilla Android
Gets fresh updates for a long time (properly 18 months)
The basic system including the UI is open source when released (I think)
A lot of apps available in the Android Market

Cons:
No psychical keyboard
Not developed in the open
Fake multitasking
Strange Linux underneath
Strange Java UI

Nokia N9

Pros:
Real multitasking
X Server
Good Debian GNU/Linux bash underneath

Cons:
No psychical keyboard
Proprietary Swipe UI (difficult to patch by the community for future updates)
Not developed in the open
Already (nearly) dropped by Nokia

What do you think? Please share thoughts

Why not get a dumb phone and use the N900 as a mobile tablet computer? I find that I don't use the N900's computing abilities as much as I use to. I myself am probably going with the Nexus Prime or the Samsung Galaxy S2.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 658 | Thanked: 777 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Norway
i sold my sgs2 for the n9 myself.

because in everyday use the n9 eats the sgs2.

course, i wanted a phone thats easy to use onehanded, and can be picked up and put down fast and simply. sgs2 wasnt as smoothly awesome in normal use for me. also, i like the ui concept so thats no minus for me.

but i guess youve got to just try the phones out and see for yourself.

prime and sgs2 both will be/are great phones. its just android im sick of.

No one can really be sick of The Nexus Prime (Samsung Galaxy Nexus?)... Ice Cream Sandwich is brand-smacking-new and has undergone a major rework under-the-hood.

It also has awesome features, it'll be a phone that wont be beaten in the next 6 months and will probably last for over 2 years.

The N9, I'm not so sure of. It has no support. Not really a community either. If you decide to get it, in 6-8months there's a high probability you'll feel "left behind"

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
in 6-8 months im sure ill be buying a new phone anyway. thats me tho.

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 284 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Malaysia
Keep the N900. Personal preference. I hate changing phones and having to re-learn all the different functions (no matter how intriguing they may be).

Unless your N900 is already in bad shape and behind on productivity, then it's a totally different situation.

Just keep in mind that battery life seems to suck in Android too. That was a huge surprise for me (2 weeks now on android) as no-one was telling this to me (voluntary – before I joined the club, later yes ). Also it was not told to me that basic google-ware is something you need to replace with something else with more functioning apps and that those apps are many times pay-apps. On the positive side, installing custom rom with latest updates was very easy. For actual phone use Android sucks big time, the UI is not even close of being smooth for that purpose. Oh the Android market UI sucks too, there is no way in hell you can actually use market without knowing beforehand what to download.

But I’m happy. It is wonderful toy phone.

So, imo, it is better to buy a cheap android so you will feel free to play with it to extremes.

Laughing Man’s suggestion to buy dumb phone to go with tablet computer is very good but maybe impractical.

Last edited by Braveslice; 2011-10-10 at 08:12.

The Following User Says Thank You to Braveslice For This Useful Post:
SGS2 lasts one day when used. Like the N9.

Very long when unused. Like the N9.

Id say keep the N900 for heavyer mobile computer use if its still working fine, and get th N9 for basic phone functions and awesomeness.

Cause... why the hell not.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to slai For This Useful Post:
I am in the same situation. And just two days ago i had the oportunity to try in the shop the N9.

Unlike you, i'm not gonna buy a new phone in 6 months but in 2 years probably, so i have to do a smart movement.

I would prefer a higher-than 3.9 inches screen, but i know what to expect from the n900 so i would go directly for the n9. The OS is imprressive.

But, that phone is already dead, and i don't like the idea of repeating the mistake of the n900.

So i'm waiting to see android 4 and what does he offers. Nexus primer is my num 1 candidate.

However, i think that when i buy the new mobile, we will have some nokia w7 phones, and perhaps nokia will say someting about future updates of meltemi in the n9, which would make me think again about it.

Right now, the only option that i see in the new android.

If you wait for ICS id guess theres more phones out that beat the nexus, like sgs3 and so forth.

If you want a stable OS that isnt going anywhere anytime soon, get an iphone or android device. If youre slightly more daring, perhaps a nokia windows phone when that time comes.

Personally Im going to be checking out the nokia windows phones. Despite my better judgement...