Active Topics

The appealing thing about WP7 is its XBOX LIVE, Zune, and Windows integration. Which is great if you use those services. The only problem with the LIVE integration I've seen so far is it doesn't seem that interesting in terms of games and offerings. I was hoping more to play XBOX LIVE Arcade games on the phone. Or do what Nintendo has done before where you can play a pared down or minigame on their devices that connects back to your account (Pokewalker and Pokemon for example).

For example, I believe Fable had a augmented reality game that could benefits your in game character in terms of money. WP7 needs more games that mix the two worlds together. And as a bonus it can benefit both the XBOX 360 and WP7 in terms of hardware and software sales.

Offer ways to earn EXP and money via the phone in games. There are a ton of games that use EXP or money to unlock equipment. COD for example for gun or perk unlocks, Halo Reach for visual armor, etc..

And there are far more innovative ideas such as allowing a second player to use the phone to affect your in-game world. Integrate it with LIVE so you can affect your online friends' world when your away from your own XBOX.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Question: What makes people want WP7?

Answer: Stupidity!

The Following User Says Thank You to catbus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I want it just because it's not Android or IOS. But I want it 1,5 from now!

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
I don't want a GNU/Linux mobile OS; I feel that I have no choice.

People don't want WP7; they feel that they have no choice.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
@gerbick

Dude that is exactly what I was thinking. Funny enough I think this just illustrates the ignorance or just simply the lack of open minded individuals who rather judge something without trying it.

I came in with the ignorance and loathing, after I really owned a phone with the OS believe me that my opinion of the OS changed for the better. I was never a fan of the tiles, but as gerbick said it was simplistic and unique enough to really leave an impression of a swift UI, something I can navigate around very quickly in. It sync to my email very well, and the email client was actually very good comparing to the competition. I actually liked how easy it was to input something into the calendar ... although it did not sync well with Googles' Calendar. Having Office in your phone is quite useful, and also the neat integration with Skydrive and Sharepoint is also a plus. The Xbox integration could always be better, but it looks like MS is building the foundations for what appears to be the most robust cloud gaming experience. I actually like how the maps/ and search service work. Even the voice search works quite flawlessly. The next iteration of WP7 Mango is set to improve on the experience, and I give credit to MS as they are actually listening for the first time to consumer ... guessing having near zero consumer base is a humbling experience.

As for the negatives, belief me there are plenty like the CPRM SD format, or lack of SD expansion. One big pet peeve of mine is the dependence on Zune to pretty much get anything done on your phone. Also the media playback can be improved in the UI sense. I can't believe the Audio player doesn't have a seek/ progress bar ... you would have to fast forward in your track. I think MS wants people to conform to the notion of 4MB mp3 files which you wouldn't want to seek in but rather just fast forward. Here in lies although the biggest threat WP7 brings, Conformity and the marginalizing of those who do not fit the model they seek to serve ... like me who has 1+hr mp3 tracks and I cannot seek 30minutes into a track but rather have to fast forward. The marginalizing is exactly why I don't go to the Iphone and WP7 seeks to mimic more of the IOS experience rather than the Android/ MeeGo experience of true openness for the user.

With that said, right now MS seems receptive to the consumers and I hope they are willing to broaden the experience to users who don't fit their model ... which a lot of us here don't to some degree. As for ecosystem, the only 2 advantages I see is WP7 brings is gaming plus enterprise level of productivity. WP7 left a pleasant impression, and since I never liked Android (I have tried it) I see the WP7 as an alternative. Will it be successful? I guess it is a question worth asking in another post.

The overall message is that WP7 is actually not the boogeyman as we so easily say around here. If you try a WP7, which right now you can get at a steal and some promo's give an Xbox to boot. I think a lot would have changed minds, so try it before knocking it or otherwise you are liable in giving a biased, or misinformed opinion on the matter.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MoJo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 273 | Thanked: 463 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Athens
Originally Posted by coderedcomputing View Post
Keep in mind that the average user is not someone on here. When joe average walks into a phone provider's store and is already not sold on buying an iPhone, they are going to get a salesman-pitch on phones. When they hear a phone runs Windows, and they use Windows at home... blammo huge selling point.
You mean blammoo .... remindes how fun it was trying to format his HDD everytime he triend to install something he downloaded from warez and then he screwed everything up and had to pay someone. I am sure joe average wants to take that experience on his cell phone too

The Following User Says Thank You to Zoxir For This Useful Post:
Posts: 33 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Sep 2011 @ grenoble
troll mode on
because it has a future, symbian not.
because it's not an iphone
troll mode off

1) xbox stuff
2) office-exchange stuff

Originally Posted by shallimus View Post
Please remember that a unique selling point is a feature or ability not delivered by any other OS. Therefore "it syncs with Exchange" or whatever is not a USP.
yes, i know that my answer is crap, because these are not USP.
but peoples barely knows how they phone works.
so knowing what a phone can do before buying it, just LOL.

Last edited by bob_bipbip; 2011-09-05 at 13:14.

Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
According to the latest news and rumors, Symbian is not going to die anytime soon. Just thought I should mention it. Maemo/Meego is a different story though.

Posts: 16 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ England
For me it's the application menu that does it.

I really would love a dynamic/non-static application menu for the N900 which uses CSS, HTML and JavaScript to allow anyone to make it their own. I saw my friend install a Windows Phone style application menu on his jailbroken iPhone and he could edit the application menu in that way. It really could be incredible...

My buddy just got talked into it by the salesman. He loves it.