"Nokia's cheap UMPC alternative is future-proof"
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=38632

It's an odd choice of words after the "future-proofing" of the 770. Maybe it's an April Fool's story.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Fernando (the author of the Inq article) does seem to be a serious fan of the N800 so the publication date is possibly an unfortunate coincidence. Also, April Fools Day in the UK (and some other countries) is only celebrated prior to 12pm

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by mieses View Post
"Nokia's cheap UMPC alternative is future-proof"
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=38632

It's an odd choice of words after the "future-proofing" of the 770. Maybe it's an April Fool's story.
Nice article. It's a bit overambitious to call it future-proof. Never underestimate the progress of technology. Eventually the CPU will be considered under-powered, memory inadequate and/or other connectivity like WiMax will need to be added.

the statement is patently false, not overambitious. an official nokia mouthpiece would not have the gall to describe the n800 as "future proof". better to use a blogger when you need to redefine black as white, i imagine.

after continually referring to the term, the article finally defines future proof as open source. but the tablet OS is not open source. (has this changed?). does he believe that ITOS2008 or ITOS2009 will run on n800?

one could as easily state that a series 3 symbian phone is future proof. the only thing that is future proof is nokia's income. the customer is pushed to buy a new device every 18 months. i find it hard to believe that umpc hardware is intentionally obsoleted as quickly as the nokia tablets.

it would be fantastic if an alternative non-Nokia OS emerges for this device. (embedded gentoo?)
the tablet is a great platform that deserves more attention, competition, and openness.
until then, my future will be nokia-proof, current 770 excepted!</rant>

I don't think it's future proof as far as the hardware goes, but it can have a long future. the real reason why some people are thinking the 770 is obsolete isn't because it doesn't have much life yet, it's cause Nokia isn't supplying good updates.

a vendor supplied linux OS and a vendor supplied community might not be in the best interest in the long run, but hey for now we're doing ok. when I see old, truely obselete hardware like the HP jornada's, the Seimens simpad and various iPaqs finding new life with linux, I have to think the Nokia pads have a lot of life left in them, with or without Nokia.

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by mieses View Post
after continually referring to the term, the article finally defines future proof as open source. but the tablet OS is not open source. (has this changed?). does he believe that ITOS2008 or ITOS2009 will run on n800?
Yes I think he does believe that, and he may or may not be right. But I think he would say that, even if not, a N800 with ITOS2007 will still be quite usable in 2009. He's probably right. It's probably not obsolete until widespread adoption of 802.11n or WiMax, or non-backward compatible advancement of flash memory cards, or some other hardware-related tech. It's open in the sense that there's nothing to stop anyone from continuing to develop software apps for it in the future.

btw, most laptops are traded-in or considered obsolete after an average of about 3 yrs or so. they definitely see a windows upgrade at some point, for example. frequently the wear and tear makes them uneconomical to repair. it will be interesting to see well the N770 and N800 hold up over time in terms of repairs and value.

How does he run up BBC webcasts ? I try and it comes back with a display error, is this out of the box working, or do I have to add/install something ?

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
A lot of emphasis being placed on the N800 by Nokia PR wonks, at least in certain venues...

What is it with Nokia (NYSE: NOK - News) at the moment? I've been at 3 conference sessions during March where a representative has turned up brandishing their N800 Linux-powered WiFi tablet, and then given a presentation focused almost entirely on it and Nokia's peculiar notion that it somehow completely redefines computers to be "Internet optimised".
http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/07...6_id.html?.v=1

Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
btw, most laptops are traded-in or considered obsolete after an average of about 3 yrs or so. they definitely see a windows upgrade at some point, for example. frequently the wear and tear makes them uneconomical to repair. it will be interesting to see well the N770 and N800 hold up over time in terms of repairs and value.
I think you're jumping the gun a little - I have a laptop that's almost four years old (an early centrino) and it is still my main mobile computer. Embracing the manufacturer's life estimate as an universal truth is a very good way to start living in a box

Nothing is future proof, but that doesn't mean you have to buy new hardware following Moore's law - look at the Newtons and Jornadas, hell, event old Pentiums are still used as routers and linux boxes. Idealy a well built unit has a life time expectency of at least 5 - 8 years (at least in my house )

Posts: 242 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ USA & BharatVarsh ( INDIA - Kerala ).
Originally Posted by cucurigu View Post
I think you're jumping the gun a little - I have a laptop that's almost four years old (an early centrino) and it is still my main mobile computer. Embracing the manufacturer's life estimate as an universal truth is a very good way to start living in a box

Nothing is future proof, but that doesn't mean you have to buy new hardware following Moore's law - look at the Newtons and Jornadas, hell, event old Pentiums are still used as routers and linux boxes. Idealy a well built unit has a life time expectency of at least 5 - 8 years (at least in my house )

Ok, now I know that you do not work for Nokia.

cannot say that about Tex though.