Active Topics

Using an external GPS I can get a lock _very_ quickly regardless of the time-bug in gpsd, so I doubt this will change acquisition times.

Either way - it won't be a bad thing to have it fixed!

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Still seeing 2+ minutes for acquire from a location that's less than 10 feet from the last location - after the initial "fix"; however I'm now connecting to 5-7 satellites, whereas before I had only acquired 3-5 (tops).
Yeah, I wasn't trying to imply that all fixes were < 1 minute. The scale has been 15 seconds to 3 minutes so far.

Originally Posted by yabbas View Post
Using an external GPS I can get a lock _very_ quickly regardless of the time-bug in gpsd, so I doubt this will change acquisition times.
Yabbas, your external GPS does not get initialization data from a system library (it probably saves that in the device without any help). N810 gpsdriver seems to do that, see /usr/include/gpsinternal.h from libgpsmgr-dev package.

Last edited by jussik; 2008-02-04 at 09:58.

The Following User Says Thank You to jussik For This Useful Post:
The patch by jussik has done wonders for the gps in my 810. I can now consistantly get a lock with 810 in under 30 seconds even when moving 4 or 5 miles from my previous lock. If I don't move far from my last lock it locks almost instantly. When not moving far it actually takes longer for maemo mapper to connect to the gps than to get the lock.

Great Work!!!

I unfortunately am not seeing a difference with the new gpsd. Still taking forever to obtain a fix.

I get quicker fixes, too... of course the first fix after the gpsd install was lazy, but then it I switched off the device and 10min later I switched it back on and had a fix in maybe 20s

First impressions for me are it's quicker. Though I need to test it over a few days to be sure I'm not imagining it.

How do you actually confirm that the patched version is installed by the way ?

I am trying to reinstall and it it gives me errors of unable to install or file currupted.

But I don't think it is currupted, just confused...

Initially, it used to say needs another 12K on install, but now it says needs 0K so I'm guessing it's properly installed now.

I've turned on red pill mode...

Zuber

Originally Posted by Zuber View Post
First impressions for me are it's quicker. Though I need to test it over a few days to be sure I'm not imagining it.

How do you actually confirm that the patched version is installed by the way ?
For a short time the package version I had up had the same version info as the original osso-gpsd. Identifying that from the original is pretty much impossible, sorry about that.

Now the package on http://folks.o-hand.com/jku/osso-gpsd/ has version "1.0-25-jku0" instead of the original "1.0-25". Check with "apt-cache show osso-gpsd" in shell, or using Application Manager (I assume red pill shows you all installed packages).

To add another data point. After installing the new
gpsd, rebooting, it took about 3.5 minutes to acquire
the position.

I turned off maemo mapper, rebooted again, restarted
mapper.

Acquired location in about 15 seconds.

Seems to be a definite improvement to me.

(But - has anyone noticed that sometimes position
simply will not be acquired until the unit is rebooted?)

Originally Posted by albright View Post
To add another data point. After installing the new
gpsd, rebooting, it took about 3.5 minutes to acquire
the position.

I turned off maemo mapper, rebooted again, restarted
mapper.

Acquired location in about 15 seconds.

Seems to be a definite improvement to me.

(But - has anyone noticed that sometimes position
simply will not be acquired until the unit is rebooted?)
If you restart GPS right away, you are a getting a "hot" fix. I believe the old gpsd did not have a problem with hot fixes either. My Holux M1000 can start up in 1-3 seconds in this mode. A better test is to wait ~30 minutes and see how long it takes then. This would test validity of ephemeris data. Waiting for a few hours would tell you how almanac data is being used.