Notices

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
[Note: there was another thread on this here, but it got immediately hijacked to the point where I didn't think it was worth reviving]

The carrier I use with my N900, WIND Mobile, offers plans with unlimited calling province- or nation-wide for quite reasonable rates. However, their middle-priced plan does not include voicemail, and adding voicemail raises the cost so as to make it much more worthwhile to just upgrade to the plan that includes it.
So... given a phone as flexible as the N900, and a plan where airtime is not a concern, the thought occurs that having the phone automatically take a call and log messages locally might be a viable solution. Does anyone have any technical comments or ideas about how to achieve this? Please note that I'm really not interested in using alternative services such as Google Voice; I need voicemail functionality for normal cellular calls with no intermediary service. Potentially such a solution could even be used to screen calls (imagine a message of "enter priority code to ring phone" greeting people who call at night), or for other interesting purposes.

Thoughts? If this is deemed feasible, and if there is interest from others, I might be willing to start a bounty.

Tags
voicemail