Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
I've used OpenVPN before, but only on a laptop where things are many times simpler because the network doesn't change often. I have a few questions I'm hoping all you n900 veterans will be able to answer!

I'm hoping to run OpenVPN as a daemon, start it with systemctl when I need and stop it when I don't.

I was wondering if anyone could explain what happens when the network changes (disconnect from wifi, connect to 3g, or switch between 3g and 4g). Is the transition managed seamlessly if the daemon is running? Is there any point when data may be sent outside the VPN?

Also, what happens to normal texts and voice calls when the VPN is connected?

And finally, I read on TJC that NeilDK's openvpn is bundled with systemd unit files. Why aren't these included in the Mer version? What I know of systemd makes me think it should make something like OpenVPN with complicated dependencies easier to manage, is this true?

Bump! Does nobody here know the answer to these questions?

You could use my securefishnet from openrepos and the openvpn from Jolla.

The Following User Says Thank You to korppi For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by korppi View Post
You could use my securefishnet from openrepos and the openvpn from Jolla.
Thanks, I've been following development of your app but don't want to use it until you release the source. Impressed with the frequency of updates though!

The main reason I asked the questions is I want to understand openvpn on Sailfish, I'm pretty sure I could make it work but I don't like using things like openvpn without having a good understanding of what they are doing.

The Following User Says Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
OpenVPN works as it works in any system... It makes tunnel to server or point to point tunnel and adds and replaces routes...

Connman does make it harder because you can't replace default route and DNS as easily as you normally would. And when phone changes it's connection from wlan to mobile you need to restart the VPN connection.

The reason for not opening my app yet is that it's my first app in any platform and for that reason code is very messy...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to korppi For This Useful Post:
Tried to install securefishnet-1.6-2.i486.rpm to my tablet.
Installation failed.
I can try to test it again if you need some input to clear that out?

Tags
openvpn, sailfish