Exactly : just the one we had before :-)

Posts: 475 | Thanked: 771 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
I just build the latest version of osso-xterm from garage on OS2008. The project is here (https://garage.maemo.org/projects/osso-xterm/) and lists "There are at least two different places where a version of osso-xterm is available. This project is combine the effort for improving a very useful tool." as its project summary.

Check out the svn code and build in scratchbox. I don't know what the polite way to act is when a project has a lot of nice code but no files release, but I could upload my debs here temporarily if it will help people who can't build this themselves.

This version of the terminal has the vertical shortcut bar, a less annoying "open two terminals when launching with command" bug (it opens two tabs, and each have the proper shortcut bar), and works with the virtual keyboard.

Hopefully the developers release a version soon so more people can start using it. It looks like lots of good work is going into it.

The Following User Says Thank You to fiferboy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
@fiferboy

Please post your deb here . I can't be bothered to svn it

Or PM me.

Actually, I'll try myself. I just hope sb doesn't **** out on me with unsupported syscalls.

Last edited by qwerty12; 2008-03-19 at 15:36.

+1... it's not that I can't be bothered, I just don't know how :-)

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Hehe, I can do straight compiling ; it's just when I have to modify code, its impossible for me.

I don't have any bad feelings about releasing a deb but it's that I'm in windows converting some Eastenders episodes so I can't reboot into Linux.
Linux really pisses me about ; all my web downloads are corrupt. :@

A .deb would be nice; can't say about polite thing, but we'd be grateful!

I e-mailed dnastase (author of flying-keyboard xterm) but haven't heard back yet... If he releases a diff, It might apply easily to that.

Just went browsing the SVN web interface; someone (jvaltane) seems to be the only dev working on it since last September; you could e-mail him if you're concerned with being polite.

Posts: 475 | Thanked: 771 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
For anyone who wants to try out this version of xterm.

You need (or at least I did) to install ttf-bitstream-vera first (which was available for me through the application manager).

The debs can be found at the following website (since one of the files is 200K bigger than this forums attachment limit):

http://andrew.olmsted.ca/maemo/osso-xterm

Next download and install the debs in the following order: libvte-common, libvte4, osso-xterm

These files should just install overtop of your currently installed files and give you no trouble. I don't know if this will conflict with the osso-software-version package, but it might since the files have a lower version than the stock files. Installing these files could in theory prevent any further upgrading of your software.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to fiferboy For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by fiferboy View Post
These files should just install overtop of your currently installed files and give you no trouble. I don't know if this will conflict with the osso-software-version package, but it might since the files have a lower version than the stock files. Installing these files could in theory prevent any further upgrading of your software.
For that, just edit /var/lib/dpkg/status (or version, unsure) and change Version: 0.13.mh25 to Version: 0.14.mh3

Thats just the xterm line, I'll find more for the vte.

Haha, they added in the reverse colour option. I was using a gconf hack with the old one

Last edited by qwerty12; 2008-03-19 at 16:39.

I'm confused by the versions.

Your deb is version 0.13.mh25
SVN is 0.14.mh11

Am I missing something?