Active Topics

Originally Posted by buchanmilne View Post
s/of/have/g

Please use a verb in clauses, instead a homophonic (due to lazy pronunciation by many people) preposition.
I think you meant:

s/\(ld\) of/\1've/g

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by AlMehdi View Post
The thing is that Mac users and Apple say that "It simply works" even though it isn't like that. Macs got their fair deal of problems too as do Linux. I have not found any reason why Mac would do better than Ubuntu except Photoshop but that is about to change so is gaming. If i like i could make my Ubuntu machine look like OSX.. some part does.. but i have taking it a step longer (so it looks even better).
Why don't they 'simply work'?
I've found them to 'work' with less 'work' (on my part) and with very high reliability.

And might you elaborate on these 'fair share of problems'?
I've found my users to complain much much less when they've been moved to OSX; while they can do more.

Btw, when I mention UI/UX, it's not about how things look. It's about general user interaction, from setup, usage, maintenance, migration, etc. \To me, it's not about how they look... so a simple wm/theme change will not do.

Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
of course you can't. but with unnamed product it is kinda cute that official forums cannot be used if you have issues. tmo would be totally pro nokia site if it would enforce similar moderation to apples forums.
That would make more sense if TMO's domain ends with nokia.com....
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Last edited by ysss; 2010-10-13 at 17:16.

Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
The N900 is a great phone/mobile computer. No other device comes close. iPhone is nice and easy - even grandma can use it. Android is cool and teckie - perfect teenager device. But the N900 is alone in this world being a tiny Linux box that actually works and works better than most "homemade" desktop Linux boxes.

To even compare this with grandma and teenager devices is so - wrong.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
The N900 is a great phone/mobile computer. No other device comes close. iPhone is nice and easy - even grandma can use it. Android is cool and teckie - perfect teenager device. But the N900 is alone in this world being a tiny Linux box that actually works and works better than most "homemade" desktop Linux boxes.

To even compare this with grandma and teenager devices is so - wrong.
Sooo... it makes you feel more like a man the more time you spend tinkering with your gadgets?
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 352 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Vancouver
Originally Posted by mmr View Post
A thought just occured to me, Ive just finished a typical day with my n900. A couple of skype video calls, recieved a few SIP calls with multiple providers, downloaded a film from thepiratebay using transmission and watched it on the multi codec built in media player, downloaded a book from irc and read that on fbreader. Can you imagine a Steve Jobs-style-Nokian with a N900 and why oh why dont they tell peeps what their phones can do?
My typical "wow thats impressive" day throws in using the camera for an audit and the GPS to get there and recall to take meting notes.

the moment of utter despairer come in with the 3-4 hour battery life.

The Following User Says Thank You to timwatt For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Sooo... it makes you feel more like a man the more time you spend tinkering with your gadgets?
Don't know about that, but it definitely makes me feel less grandma

Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Why don't they 'simply work'?
I've found them to 'work' with less 'work' (on my part) and with very high reliability.

And might you elaborate on these 'fair share of problems'?
I've found my users to complain much much less when they've been moved to OSX; while they can do more.

Btw, when I mention UI/UX, it's not about how things look. It's about general user interaction, from setup, usage, maintenance, migration, etc.

I'm not gonna go over the difference point by point, but I've made my choice after reviewing as many of the available options as I can. It's all subjective anyway. Some people enjoy spending their weekends tinkering with their gadgets, most other think that they can spend their time better elsewhere. Neither is wrong *shrugs*.

As for the question of 'Which OS is more user friendly/easier to use' (ie: just works), I would actually pose that question to tech neophytes than ask fellow enthusiasts. Because they mostly don't have an existing tech/ideology bias. I can probably try to quantify and make a list of the specific differences, but that does not give the insight of the common user's point of view.

I don't know about 'It simply works', but it's simpler and quicker to setup, performs better and easier to maintain in general, on top of that the UI/UX is good*.

To me, it's not about how they look... so a simple wm/theme change will not do.

That would make more sense if TMO's domain ends with nokia.com....
Well i work at a government agency where one of my tasks is to help people with technical support. The ones with most problems are Mac users especially if you take in count how big percentage they are.. One guy wanted to reformat and reinstall cause it was to slow. I asked if the computer was old.. he told me it was about 2 years. He was running OSX 10.4. He had bought it to use it as he was an musician and designer. He didn't want to upgrade due to cost. Last week i had three with MacBook Pros that had problems with their USB's. There is always something. But then i moslty just come in contact with those that have problems. I have never owned a Mac myself but have not understood the deal when i have tried others. It is pretty much the same as to use my Ubuntu machine exept in a much much more expensive package.

But true.. it is subjective. I have gotten both my brother and father to switch to Ubuntu. They have so far not have had any problems. They are just happy everything works. My brother is a hobby musician and had a couple of devices i never thought would work with Ubuntu..... but it was pretty much just to connect it. The only "hard" bit was his printer (an wifi pixma mp560). But i just surfed to the company page and downloaded the driver and installed.. no real fuzz.

And i don't know if it become more simpler than open a program -> chose the program you want to install -> install it. Updates can be done with one push of a button or automatic for that matter (you know what i mean as you have used it).

Sure linux does not support all hardware but pretty much works out of the box. I have never encountered a problem since 9.04. Earlier (like in 2006/2007) i had problems with dual screen and bluetooth keyboard.

Make your desktop look awesome - use the AwOken Theme with the AwOken Icon Theme.

Add me on twitter @almehdin
Visit the swedish maemo/meego community forums

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
N900 has become the ultimate "would of, could of, should of"
I haven't had much problem getting the N900 to do whatever I wanted to do, ever. But I guess I don't have unrealistic expectations.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by timwatt View Post
My typical "wow thats impressive" day throws in using the camera for an audit and the GPS to get there and recall to take meting notes.

the moment of utter despairer come in with the 3-4 hour battery life.
Yes, it really does plunge me into despair when I have to spend ten seconds putting a new battery into my N900. I can't imagine a more woe-inspiring moment.

Posts: 63 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ greece
@ etuoyo
i bought my N900 18th december 2009 and had no problem at all .
as far as i can tell my usb is still in place , i understand ur frostration bout your N900 & the delay of nokia in delivering you a new N900 , but that doesnt make it a rule . u had a faulty one you'll get a new one hopefully .

for the iphone the way i see it , the n900 and the iphone are both great phones , i LOVE the way iphone4 looks , i like the simplicity of UI but i dont want to own one . let me put it this way , if i was going to buy a device today i would buy me an N900 , if i was going to buy my girlfriend a device i whould get her an iphone4 , simple as that .

same more or less with the OS frontier u started ..
it all comes to WHAT you want to do and How you want to do it ..
although i like linux and all the freedom it offers , the list of application available , the device support etc i hate it cause it doesnt support games , or let me put it right GAMES do not have support for linux , so i have to have windows installed in some other partition .. which makes me think why have 2 OS's installed when i can just have windows and do what i want to do .

Last edited by on3st4b; 2010-10-13 at 23:23.