Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by hrbani View Post
Hi
There is my friend Ubiboot.log and Ubiboot.conf and screenshot from /boot/ and /home/user/MyDocs/boot/.
He couldn't boot Nitdroid, he says the phone goes off after selecting any kernel for nitdroid.
I think kernels and Ubiboot config and ... are true (from blow selection of log)

Am I true?

What is the solution? A complete flash with full wipe the memory?

Thanks a lot
So, he can load Harmattan just fine, but not Nitdroid?
Is this first time he tries to boot Nitdroid, I mean has he ever before done this successifully and just now started to fail; or never had it work before?

The log on failing to mount /dev/mmcblk0p3 is suspicious, but I believe it has nothing to do with this problem if he can boot Harmattan OK; The kernels are anyway on /dev/mmcblk0p2 and the ubiboot config files on /dev/mmcblk0p1 so booting any OS should work just fine.
(And since /dev/mmcblk0p3 is the Harmattan /home mount, if Harmattan works then it sure is mounted correctly at OS boot...)

Now if I am correct in thinking that he never managed to run Nitdroid before, then the problem is clear;
There is some problem in the Nitdroid setup, for example:
  • the /sbin/preinit_nitdroid file is missing, or has not r&x attributes set
  • the Nitdroid filesystem image has not been extracted correctly to /home/nitdroid/
  • the nitdroid image is wrong or was corrupted at download

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 64 | Thanked: 66 times | Joined on Aug 2013 @ Tehran - Iran
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
So, he can load Harmattan just fine, but not Nitdroid?
Hi
Thanks
Yes, it seems that above sentence is completely true, except that in Settins->Device->Data storage->Application data shows something like this message: "is not available in mass storage mod".

Is this first time he tries to boot Nitdroid, I mean has he ever before done this successifully and just now started to fail; or never had it work before?
he has done this successfully many times and just now started to fail

The log on failing to mount /dev/mmcblk0p3 is suspicious, but I believe it has nothing to do with this problem if he can boot Harmattan OK; The kernels are anyway on /dev/mmcblk0p2 and the ubiboot config files on /dev/mmcblk0p1 so booting any OS should work just fine.
(And since /dev/mmcblk0p3 is the Harmattan /home mount, if Harmattan works then it sure is mounted correctly at OS boot...)
Thanks a lot (like everytime)

Now if I am correct in thinking that he never managed to run Nitdroid before, then the problem is clear;
There is some problem in the Nitdroid setup, for example:
  • the /sbin/preinit_nitdroid file is missing, or has not r&x attributes set
  • the Nitdroid filesystem image has not been extracted correctly to /home/nitdroid/
  • the nitdroid image is wrong or was corrupted at download
No unfortunately in this case your suggestion is wrong

One other of our friends said the solution is flashing with box. Is it true?

Thank you very much

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
OK, then it really looks like there is some problem in the device flash memory, which also affects Harmattan.

Reflashing the device can help, but of course it is fairly drastic way to fix problems as it will wipe all user data from the device, hence I always suggest other possibilities first.

Of course there is always the rare possibility that there is some HW problem in the flash memory, in which case it may happen that the device cannot be flashed and will not work any longer after the flashing attempt...

Hi
Thanks
Yes, it seems that above sentence is completely true, except that in Settins->Device->Data storage->Application data shows something like this message: "is not available in mass storage mod".
Could you please ask your friend to run "/sbin/sfdisk -l" as root, I'd like to know what the partition layout looks like.

OK, then it really looks like there is some problem in the device flash memory, which also affects Harmattan.

Reflashing the device can help, but of course it is fairly drastic way to fix problems as it will wipe all user data from the device, hence I always suggest other possibilities first.

Of course there is always the rare possibility that there is some HW problem in the flash memory, in which case it may happen that the device cannot be flashed and will not work any longer after the flashing attempt...
Thank you very much as always a perfect and cute answer.

Could you please ask your friend to run "/sbin/sfdisk -l" as root, I'd like to know what the partition layout looks like.
I attached his result.

And one question that is mine:
I executed the command on my phone to see the result. Because, I had flashed my phone by MOSLO before flashing it by cracked Infinity Best (that flashs phones via USB cable without box). Also after flashing phone with Best, I haven't recieved "flashing is complete" message but the line on phone went to the end and doesn't any change in phone and best (and new message) for a long time. So I disconnected phone. After it had booted the camera show this message: "Camera doesn't work in mass storage mode" so I rebooted the phone and it was fixed. recently I changed the format of memory from fat to EXT2. This is the result:
Code:
sfdisk -l

Disk /dev/mmcblk0: 1957120 cylinders, 4 heads, 16 sectors/track
Units = cylinders of 32768 bytes, blocks of 1024 bytes, counting from 0

Device Boot Start     End   #cyls    #blocks   Id  System
/dev/mmcblk0p1         16  1760511  1760496   56335872    c  W95 FAT32 (LBA)
/dev/mmcblk0p2     1760512  1891583  131072    4194304    0  Empty
/dev/mmcblk0p3     1891584  1957119   65536    2097152   83  Linux
/dev/mmcblk0p4          0       -       0          0    0  Empty

Disk /dev/dm-0: 0 cylinders, 0 heads, 0 sectors/track

sfdisk: ERROR: sector 0 does not have an msdos signature
 /dev/dm-0: unrecognized partition table type
No partitions found
The phone is working good and it hasn't ERROR like y friend's phone. Does my phone has any problem?

Thanks a lot
with regards
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to hrbani For This Useful Post:
I attached his result.
His partition table looks exactly to the byte like it should.
So if there is some problem then it is not shown in the partition table.

And one question that is mine:
I executed the command on my phone to see the result. Because, I had flashed my phone by MOSLO before flashing it by cracked Infinity Best (that flashs phones via USB cable without box). Also after flashing phone with Best, I haven't recieved "flashing is complete" message but the line on phone went to the end and doesn't any change in phone and best (and new message) for a long time. So I disconnected phone. After it had booted the camera show this message: "Camera doesn't work in mass storage mode" so I rebooted the phone and it was fixed. recently I changed the format of memory from fat to EXT2. This is the result:
It looks like the partition types of your device are not correct; however seems there are no adverse effects. (not many software care about partition types, on mounting to external devices you might encounter some funny business )

You might want to set the partition types to reflect to the actual filesystems present there.

His partition table looks exactly to the byte like it should.
So if there is some problem then it is not shown in the partition table.
So what is your solution? A complete flashing with wiping?

It looks like the partition types of your device are not correct;
Why? May I want you explain its ERROR?

... however seems there are no adverse effects. (not many software care about partition types, on mounting to external devices you might encounter some funny business )

You might want to set the partition types to reflect to the actual filesystems present there.
How could I set the partition types to reflect to the actual filesystems present there?

Thanks

The Following User Says Thank You to hrbani For This Useful Post:
So what is your solution? A complete flashing with wiping?
Yes, flashing will probably correct the problem unless it is a HW problem. In that case all bets are off, and it is even possible that after flashing attempt the device will not work at all any more.

Until some months ago I would have recommended flashing as a normal but a bit overkill solution. However lately there have been some cases of HW problems that make the device unflashable. Also as Microsoft is no longer intrested in repairing or replacing the devices I have to say that flashing is to be done on own responsibility...

Why? May I want you explain its ERROR?

How could I set the partition types to reflect to the actual filesystems present there?
Well it looks to me your mmcblk0p2 id is set to "empty" when it should be 83 "Linux"
Also you mention that you have changed thr FS on your mmcblk0p1 to ext2 but it still says "W95 FAT32" in the partition type.

You can fix those either with sfdisk or fdisk in ubiboot repair mode. (of course being careful)

One other thing I forgot to mention earlier;
The camera being unable to mount. There's a daemon that handles USB disk mount and umount based on the FS export mode (usbmoded) so that apps that need access to the exportable partitions like camera and music player behave consistently.
Sometimes it may get confused and not mount MyDocs even when USB is not connected. Restarting usbmoded or manually triggering USB mode change fixes it OK.

Yes, flashing will probably correct the problem unless it is a HW problem. In that case all bets are off, and it is even possible that after flashing attempt the device will not work at all any more.
Thank you

May I want you explain this:

Until some months ago I would have recommended flashing as a normal but a bit overkill solution. However lately there have been some cases of HW problems that make the device unflashable.
some sore?

Well it looks to me your mmcblk0p2 id is set to "empty" when it should be 83 "Linux"
Also you mention that you have changed thr FS on your mmcblk0p1 to ext2 but it still says "W95 FAT32" in the partition type.
Thanks

And may I want you explain this:

You can fix those either with sfdisk or fdisk in ubiboot repair mode. (of course being careful)
some and how can I do it? By this method the memory is formatted and I need to back up my data before doing this and recovering data after it?

One other thing I forgot to mention earlier;
The camera being ... .
Thanks a lot

some and how can I do it? By this method the memory is formatted and I need to back up my data before doing this and recovering data after it?
You mean the change of partition type?
That does not require formatting or anything, it is just a flag change.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post: