Posts: 605 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ La Rochelle, France
Hi,

Coming back from Meego Conference, my N900 starts loosing connection with the SIM Card.

Anybody experienced this ?

Now and then, taking it out of my pocket my N900 shows that he has no SIM Card !
I tried to move the contact pins to get a better connection between the phone and the SIM card but to no avail.

I really like my N900 as a pocket computer but a phone that is not reliable is a real hassle.

I began to carry another phone with my SIM Card in it to be sure to be reachable ...

The other thing I noticed is that if I take out the battery, the phone looses the date and time ... I thought there was an inner battery that kept this up to date ...

Of course, as it is a developer device there is no warranty ...

Anybody encountered this before ?

Fred

Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
Have you tried checking the contacts on the SIM itself? HAndling these often leads to corrosion and film build up. A soft pencil rubber often helps clear the grime away safely: gleaming contacts often help solve a multitude of issues.

Thanks for your reply.

Yes I have checked the contacts on the SIM.
It works without a problem in another phone and to get a connection back on the N900 I don't even have to open it but simply to reboot the N900 ...

you can try reflashing it and see if it works...
sounds like a software issue

http://wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_tablet_firmware

I don't think so : I only install updates and no new software for a few weeks.
And if an update was the cause of this I suppose a lot of other users would have reported it !

Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Why don't you simply take your faulty N900 to a repair centre?

As I wrote in my first post :

"Of course, as it is a developer device there is no warranty ..."

And I'm not complaining about that, it was part of the deal.
I'm just reporting to the community to check if anybody has a better idea about that problem than I have

Posts: 166 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Halifax, UK
i've heard a few people with this issue but otherthan cleaning the contacts on the device it seems the only solution is to send it in for a repair

Posts: 1,169 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ sunderland
mine has a 2 year warranty
just like the other 6 nokia phones i bought previously

Posts: 1,648 | Thanked: 2,122 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ UNKLE's Never Never Land
Hi Fred,

Long time..

If you have the same effect with a second SIM, I would sent a mail to Quim. It's being some time and I assume his offer doesn't extend to eternity but it's your only chance.

There has been a few people that had the same issue (and I know one personally) but it happened on the first month or so.