Active Topics

Poll: Why didn't you vote?
Poll Options
Why didn't you vote?

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
"Maemo.org" is never correct, it's always "maemo.org".

... You say maemo.org frustrates you, but the complaints so far have only been about the profile (which is a very small part of maemo.org).
As benny1967 posted, this is not the place for this.

You can read my post at the begining of this thread though for some (not all) of my reasoning.

EDIT: And if the following quote is an expectation for posts on maemo.org... this would be another reason.

"Maemo.org" is never correct, it's always "maemo.org"...
WTF??? Why does it matter? Are you running DOS 3.0 or suttin'?

"Why do I feel I'm being handled by a large corporate customer relations department?" he said to no one in particular and mostly for his own amusement...

Last edited by YoDude; 2009-04-04 at 16:33.

Originally Posted by YoDude View Post

I did not vote because voting required interaction with Maemo.org and that site frustrates the hell out of me.
This has nothing to do with voting (because, frankly, voting was the easiest and most straight-forward thing I've done on maemo.org), but I do agree that the website can be frustrating.

The other day I tried adding an application to the downloads section...what a frustrating experience! First I tried uploading a screenshot, but it just was extremely unintuitive. After adding one, when I clicked save, it just wouldn't show up. I didn't notice I needed to hit the little up arrow to get it to go to the top then actually show up. I then tried inputting my name in the author field, but it searched as I typed so I would enter "Bre" but then it would present this huge list and I couldn't find my name anywhere. After inputting my whole name I tried clicking the search button manually, but it didn't work. I then erased everything and tried again, same result. Then finally, I typed quick enough to get "Bren" inputted before it auto searched, and I was able to find my name.

Whew.

Then I saved everything off, but I was redirected to an error page that said my application didn't exist. After pulling my hair out for another five minutes trying to figure out what was wrong, I noticed after saving it attempted to redirect me to /downloads/OS2007/ when my application was for OS2008. I then navigated to the correct page, and everything was OK.

Let's put it this way, I wouldn't want to do that again.

The Following User Says Thank You to BrentDC For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
sjgadsby: Please include instructions for adding an avatar / picture to your maemo.org profile. You told me how to do that personally, but it is incredibly non-intuitive and I'm sure there are lots of people who would like to be able to add a picture who can't figure it out.

Don't forget the step where you have to click your heels together and say, "there's no capital M in maemo.org, there's no capital M in maemo.org...."

Originally Posted by qole View Post
sjgadsby: Please include instructions for adding an avatar / picture to your maemo.org profile. You told me how to do that personally, but it is incredibly non-intuitive and I'm sure there are lots of people who would like to be able to add a picture who can't figure it out.

Don't forget the step where you have to click your heels together and say, "there's no capital M in maemo.org, there's no capital M in maemo.org...."
Yeah, I could never figure out how to do that...I thought it would be in the profile page...

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Probably nobody didn't vote because s/he didn't know how to upload an avatar to the profile.

Of course maemo.org needs improvements but your help would be even more helpful if you file a bug about every single thing that bothers you. The more precise the better, and if you have a clear solution please share it.

Or at least open a thread focusing on problems and improvements in maemo.org.

Otherwise, the risk of deviating this thread from its purposes with website complaints that will sediment here is pretty high. Thank you!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 80 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Mableton, GA USA
Originally Posted by jmjanzen View Post
The Council is 5 people that visit these forums and talk to Nokia about what's important to people like you and me based on what we say here in the forums.
It's too bad that Nokia doesn't engage us directly.

That was one of the neat things about the OS/2 community back in the day ... IBM had people both formally and informally engaged with the community, and even today I think I can still exchange messages with one of the guys who has access to the OS/2 kernel at IBM.

That way, Nokia would get unfiltered information. While the Council is a far better solution than nothing, it's still an indirect link for most of us, especially those of us using older (770, OS2006) tablets who still have a desire for a few snippets of love from our tablet's creator.

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
They do: officially (through market research and invites from tableteer to take part in surveys), at summits/hackfests and here in the fora:

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ber.php?u=7630
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ember.php?u=50
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ber.php?u=1089
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ber.php?u=3257

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Erm, what makes you think they don't? Nokia and Maemo SW people are all over itT, the mailing lists, IRC, bugzilla, Planet, the wiki, etc, etc. In fact, there's one in the post just above yours.

Posts: 80 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Mableton, GA USA
Erm, what makes you think they don't? Nokia and Maemo SW people are all over itT, the mailing lists, IRC, bugzilla, Planet, the wiki, etc, etc. In fact, there's one in the post just above yours.
That's cool. I guess it isn't obvious to someone like me (who only pops in here infrequently due to time constraints) unless they have some sort of indication in their messages.

Tags
community council, maemo.org