Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
People, I'm very excited: it's the first time I fire my openoffice after the latest dist-upgrade. I had to modify a document while my notebook was unavailable and was prepared to a long, long wait before I could even think of pressing a key.

Instead.... Oowriter started in less than a minute, without that suffering that I showed in my previous video, and in a minute I was ready to work, while the keyboard was responsive and inviting. I also tried to draw a 3d object, just because I could, and it was absolutely quick and swift!

Can you confirm that there has been a change? Qole? Am I hallucinating?

Last edited by debernardis; 2010-01-19 at 05:19. Reason: spelling

The Following User Says Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
Oowriter started in less than a minute
What do you do in regards input of foreign chars? Other than xvkbd, do we need to venture into one of the various keyboard hacks that folks have developed to gain access to extra chars?

--denis

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I tried a complete apt-get upgrade (installing anything held back) until the system was completely up-to-date.

oowriter still won't start, getting the error:

"terminate called after throwing an instance of 'com::sun::star::ucb::InteractiveAugmentedIOExcept ion'"

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qole View Post
I tried a complete apt-get upgrade (installing anything held back) until the system was completely up-to-date.

oowriter still won't start, getting the error:

"terminate called after throwing an instance of 'com::sun::star::ucb::InteractiveAugmentedIOExcept ion'"
Same also on my n810, whose debian filesystem I tried to apt-get upgrade two days ago. There's still something broken, and it doesn't depend on our devices, probably.
I should go read some developers notes in the debian realm, about the latest ooo binaries, if I'm smart enough to find'em.

Originally Posted by delaroca View Post
What do you do in regards input of foreign chars? Other than xvkbd, do we need to venture into one of the various keyboard hacks that folks have developed to gain access to extra chars?

--denis
Yes we have. In Italian I need only some accented vowels, and in ooo I confess I've done like e' instead of properly using è.

I think that one thing that should be done is activate dead_keys in easy debian, like it is in maemo. I seem to remind that something concerning dead_keys is in xorg.conf maybe?

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Ah I didn't understand that 'latest dist-upgrade' means the Maemo 51-1 update.

When I tested oowriter on a stock m5-v2 image, it still took 2 minutes to start and the keyboard wasn't responsive for a while.

Sorry, it was only placebo. Or a lovely dream. Or some new discovery that you must discover again and tell me how to give the speed to everyone.

Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
People, I'm very excited: it's the first time I fire my openoffice after the latest dist-upgrade. I had to modify a document while my notebook was unavailable and was prepared to a long, long wait before I could even think of pressing a key.

Instead.... Oowriter started in less than a minute, without that suffering that I showed in my previous video, and in a minute I was ready to work, while the keyboard was responsive and inviting. I also tried to draw a 3d object, just because I could, and it was absolutely quick and swift!

Can you confirm that there has been a change? Qole? Am I hallucinating?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
I've tested it *now*. It took me 50 seconds from the time I hit oowriter on the menu to the time I was able to write.
Now something *has* happened. I'll try to do a video and attach here.

EDIT: here's the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iro0lJ9aa44

Last edited by debernardis; 2010-01-19 at 06:21.

I would rather you hunt and search for the magic change, rather than make a video (to make us jealous).

Last edited by qole; 2010-01-19 at 06:12.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
I can confirm the quick OO startup.
Same goes for GIMP, where I just finished some pretty heavy editing and image converting.

All I know is that I installed easy deb chroot fresh after the latest firmware upgrade, downloaded image to MyDocs (my sdhc card froze on attempted download)

and things were balls fast comparatively speaking.

...between the latest totally functional ABI Word N900 build and this.....Workplace Functionality!!

Thank you Qole, for this and for the hope that my beloved N900 will not fade into obsolescence all that quickly...

dcarter

Qole, after dcarter's post above, it's likely that the magics is in 51-1. The other thing I've done is sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude safe-upgrade on the debian distro (which btw gave me errors about a conflict between lxsession and lxsession-lite).

Try by yourself... Might be that one of your several N900 devices deserves a reflashing

Last edited by debernardis; 2010-01-19 at 06:33.

Tags
beta, debian, easy debian, extras-devel, fremantle, i <3 qole, squeeze