Active Topics

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Originally Posted by jsa View Post
Just to avoid misunderstandings and spreading false rumours. No-one has ever promised N900 would get an official update to Maemo 6. Also no-one has ever said the next Maemo device would have multitouch. These may happen or may not happen but stating rumours as facts is not the way to go.
You have no idea buddy. Take a read:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/09/m...de-capacitive/

This is not rumour. Maemo 6 is multitouch. And Maemo6 will be compatible with N900 but don't hold your breath with multitouch on it. It wont happen on N900. May be the next Maemo device.

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
There will be maemo 6 for N900 you wait and See

Posts: 289 | Thanked: 560 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Tampere, Finland
Originally Posted by maxximuscool View Post
You have no idea buddy. Take a read:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/09/m...de-capacitive/

This is not rumour. Maemo 6 is multitouch. And Maemo6 will be compatible with N900 but don't hold your breath with multitouch on it. It wont happen on N900. May be the next Maemo device.
Maemo 6 devices will have multitouch, yes. There _may_ however be other Maemo 5 devices before that. And to say the _next_ device will have multitouch or capacitive screen is pure speculation. And I would like you to provide a link where someone from Nokia actually confirms that there will be an official Maemo 6 update to N900 because that's what I was talking about.

Disclaimer: Just in case my location gives you any ideas, I'm not in any way affiliated with Nokia and have no insider information on this.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jsa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
there is no official answer if n900 will get maemo6 support from nokia, they have stated many times in interviews that its too early to say either way

Posts: 53 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Netherlands
Great rumor topic, as nothing has been confirmed yet.

I'm hoping that the 'next' upgrade in hardware which also brings maemo6 will have multitouch capabilties, but on one of the newer resistive technologies!

There is allready much more out there then resistive or capacative, like hybrid screens you can use a normal stylus on, but also your finger or finger nail. Saw a video about this a while back.

As for multitouch, resistive, capacative, n900 with maemo6, etc. I believe not much if anything has been confirmed.

One thing I remember is that I believe at the summit they mentioned multitouch in maemo6.

Last edited by Quindor; 2009-11-30 at 09:28.

No official confirmation but the hardware of the next N-series will be very similar to N900. Therefore N900 would get to use maemo 6 hacker edition or something. Just like the previous generation hacker edition.

wow that resistive multitouch is awesome..

The Following User Says Thank You to maxximuscool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 27 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ By the swamp
The multitouch will almost certainly be a no-go for N900 should they make Maemo 6 available for it as the resistive panel is not made by Stantum (at least the controller in N900 is a pretty standard TI 4-wire resistive touch controller and the very fine, almost invisible line pattern present in Stantum panels is absent. The line pattern on the N97 is not that subtle, it serves some other purpose in case anyone's wondering).

However, if the interface takes its user commands as events as the Xserver usually does these days, it may very well be possible to tie single-finger gestures from the touch framework to provide the same input to the UI components as a true multitouch input from the captouch controller. I'm not sure how the circular motion zoom is implemented in detail, though, but it implements exactly the same effect as a captouch pinch - zoom in on the center of the gesture. A test of this concept, by any chance? :P

Other than the touch implementation, assuming the hardware differences will be slight instead of the OOHH-so-satisfying-to-even-think-of ARM Cortex-A9 MPCore @ 1+ GHz dreams Maemo 6 should be quite easily made available on the N900 as well. It's just a matter of checking what input devices are available on boot and generating the input events based on that. Should the first Maemo 6 devices not have a physical keyboard, it must naturally be provided by the captouch-managing parts of the drivers instead of the physical keyboard controlling parts of the SW. Maemo is a quite true Linux, implementing this shouldn't be a problem.

And yes: me wants Maemo 6 on N900! Yes! Even if it means giving some of the slickest functionality up.

Edit: Typomaster 2000 rescanned the text :P

The Following User Says Thank You to Kurare For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Kurare View Post
The multitouch will almost certainly be a no-go for N900 should they make Maemo 6 available for it as the resistive panel is not made by Stantum (at least the controller in N900 is a pretty standard TI 4-wire resistive touch controller and the very fine, almost invisible line pattern present in Stantum panels is absent. The line pattern on the N97 is not that subtle, it serves some other purpose in case anyone's wondering).

However, if the interface takes its user commands as events as the Xserver usually does these days, it may very well be possible to tie single-finger gestures from the touch framework to provide the same input to the UI components as a true multitouch input from the captouch controller. I'm not sure how the circular motion zoom is implemented in detail, though, but it implements exactly the same effect as a captouch pinch - zoom in on the center of the gesture. A test of this concept, by any chance? :P

Other than the touch implementation, assuming the hardware differences will be slight instead of the OOHH-so-satisfying-to-even-think-of ARM Cortex-A9 MPCore @ 1+ GHz dreams Maemo 6 should be quite easily made available on the N900 as well. It's just a matter of checking what input devices are available on boot and generating the input events based on that. Should the first Maemo 6 devices not have a physical keyboard, it must naturally be provided by the captouch-managing parts of the drivers instead of the physical keyboard controlling parts of the SW. Maemo is a quite true Linux, implementing this shouldn't be a problem.

And yes: me wants Maemo 6 on N900! Yes! Even if it means giving some of the slickest functionality up.

Edit: Typomaster 2000 rescanned the text :P
Totally agreed man.

Posts: 289 | Thanked: 560 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Tampere, Finland
Originally Posted by maxximuscool View Post
No official confirmation...
Please stop promising this then. When someone asks if they will get an OS update on their device they most probably mean an official one. And if they are simply answered "yes" by someone who seems to know what he's talking about they will expect it. This way at some point we'll have a lot of angry people complaining that "Nokia promised we would get an OS update!! They lied to us!!"

Edit: By OS update here I mean specifically Fremantle -> Harmattan

Last edited by jsa; 2009-11-30 at 10:44. Reason: clarification

Tags
compatibility, future, harmattan, harmattan is for new $$$, maemo, maemo 6, n900, speculation, upgrade