Notices

Hi there people.

Been having a few torubles with transmission for the nokia N900. Have just installed it but when i open a .torrent file into the application it just brings me straight back to my main desktop screen and nothing happens.

I was wondering if someone could recommend a version which doesnt do this/another client or a fix for this issue?

Thanks very much.

Mart.

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
try to run transmission from the console, this should give you possible error output.

Hi there!
Very embarrased to ask this but how would i do that?
Would it be done through rootsh and if so, how?

Thank you.

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
1) Open xterm
2) type 'transmision' <Enter>

The exact run command line of programs can be found out either by:

1) checking their associated .desktop file located in /opt/maemo/usr/share/applications/hildon/
2) cd / && find . -name <program-name>.desktop

Posts: 1,034 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Annapolis, MD
I think it's just /usr/bin/transmission no root needed.

But double check that. You can type:
cat /usr/share/applications/hildon/transmission.desktop

Some text will then scroll by. Look for the line that has the command execution. It'll be like: "/usr/bin/transmission" or something. That'll be the command you run from the x-terminal to run the app.

That way, when/if it crashes you can switch back to the xterm you launched it from and get the error/crash message.

EDIT: Damn, don_falcone beat me to it. :P

Ah ok i htink i got it now!
I went into X-term and typed 'transmission' and it then opened tranmission.
Anywya i loaded a torrenti nto it then i closed and i went back to the x-term window to see an error that said:
gtk:ERROR:gtkfilechooserdefault.c:5246:gtk_file_ch ooser_default_constructor: assertion failed: (impl->file_system)Aborted

Any ideas people?

Cheers.

Posts: 855 | Thanked: 612 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Germany
I don't think, you are supposed to close an app, if you are lookig for some errors, when started through xterm.

Sorry? What do you mean?

He probably meant: you should not close the program under analysis when starting it from the console, but switching to the console instead to watch for the program's runtime errors.

@Alfred: Meintest Du dies so?

Hmm, GTK assertion. Same issue here and here. Check both threads for solutions.

Last edited by don_falcone; 2011-07-29 at 13:37.

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
Couple of questions:

What version are you running?
You're running as a normal user?
What location were you downloading to?
There are no other read/write problems on your device?