Poll: What advanced text entry method(s) would you like to see on Sailfish?
Poll Options
What advanced text entry method(s) would you like to see on Sailfish?

Posts: 548 | Thanked: 562 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
I don't think even Android has an open source continuous input keyboard!
Well a quick search resulted in the iSwipe (shitOS) and the AOSP (crapDroid) Keyboards.

Maybe eber42 and the other developers could get together and optimize the OKBoard with the help of the above mentioned source code?!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to willi6868 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Originally Posted by willi6868 View Post
Well a quick search resulted in...
I think the Android link you posted is misleading, have you actually used an AOSP based ROM without Gapps? You can swipey swipe all you like, and the visualisation is there but no words are selected/inserted.

I'm pretty sure the bit that is free/open is just the part that visualises the input trace on the virtual keyboard, the daemon that does the hard part (choosing the word) is missing, because it's proprietary.

I used to use continuous input on Cyanogenmod with Gapps all the time, until I realised it was a Gapps feature and was probably sending tons of data back to Google.

Giving google the ability to collect data on everything I typed without making it transparent what was happening (because the settings are under "AOSP keyboard" as if it's open code) was such a massive nope for me that I finally got rid of Gapps altogether on the tablet. Now the settings to enable geature typing are there, but as i mentioned they just control the visualisation, so it's turned off and I go without.

I can't pretend to know anything about iOS because I've never used it.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 162 | Thanked: 91 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ poor Slovenia
Questions:
- What is this pencil on the left side?
- words learned in jolla keyboard are not in "magic keyboard"?
- maybe somebody can explain in easy way how to add another language? beacuse withouth Slovenian word actually this keyboard is not much usable for me

Thanks

Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Originally Posted by matimilko View Post
- maybe somebody can explain in easy way how to add another language? beacuse withouth Slovenian word actually this keyboard is not much usable for me
Instructions were linked on the previous page!

Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
Instructions were linked on the previous page!
You must be kidding. From that page I understand 5...maybe 6 words
So, I guess this work is not for me. I'll wait for copy-paste instructions or app. On N9 it was easier to replace language..
Thanks anyway.

P.S.: I'm teaching My Jolla some Slovenian words step by step.

Posts: 738 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Berlin
@matimilko , jap, i read it too. But i cant handle with it

A step by step how to is needing. Want to use the german lang.

The Following User Says Thank You to cvp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
from email reply:
At the moment the keyboard only supports latin languages. Current model could support alphabets with less than 64 letters (excluding diacritics), so adding cyrillic should be possible.

The pre-requisite for adding a new language is to have a large text sample from this language (for tuning the prediction engine), which cover different conversation styles (if you use books or news, it won't be good for day to day chat). You should use a lot of e-mails / IRC logs. I used ~50 million word samples for English & French and that proved to be enough. If you can find this, i can try to add support for Russian (with no promise on delay).

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 301 | Thanked: 531 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ The Netherlands
@eber42 Thank you so much! It is really great to have this keyboard on my Jolla. Although I miss some enhancements I made to the official keyboards, you OKboard has become my standard text input already. I even think it is more precise than Swype on N9.

Details to make it even better:
-What I do miss are the swipes for comma+space and dot+space.
-For some reason within Android apps no spaces are being inserted.
-Suddenly within the browser my keyboard is too transparent, hardly visible. Does this have anything to do with installation of OKboard?

The Following User Says Thank You to rob_kouw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rob_kouw View Post
-Suddenly within the browser my keyboard is too transparent, hardly visible. Does this have anything to do with installation of OKboard?
The transparancy in the browser is something i have too, but did not yet tried it without okboard installed.

...I've tried with and withouth OKboard installed and its transparency. But only in browser. Not in Facebook lite client app, there is keyboard OK, Tweetian is also OK.

Tags
bettertxtentry, huntnpeck sucks, okboard, sailfish, swype