Buy.com has a price of $399 for the N810, but I instead decided to buy it from Microcenter. I brought a print out of Dell's page with a quote of $419.99 and the numbers of two neighboring Dell Direct Stores (within 20-30 miles). They honored the price, lowering it from $499 (ouch!) to $419.99. They seemed a bit unhappy about it.

Rather than saving the $20 through buy.com (who I have had mixed results in the past with), I wanted to buy it from a place I could return it to if I had issues that the occasional N810 user has from the start, like a quirky bar stand or a keyboard that doesn't really sit well when closed.

Can someone tell me how long I should expect the initial charge to be? I almost want to wait to turn it on prior to an initial full charge.

When off and charging, will the screen change to tell you that it is fully charged?

I am giddy.

Also, when opening it up, you pull the 810 out. Underneath is a tray with two places for things (squarish in nature). The right side has the battery in a plastic sleeve. The left side had nothing. Is there supposed to be nothing in there.

Another thing, the quick start guide mentions to "put the memory card in". I'm assuming the 2 gigs with the maps on it is already inside and installed? The blank spot I see wasn't supposed to be a memory card was it?

Last edited by dubiousmike; 2008-01-11 at 17:07.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
From most reports and my own experience it should be charged by 3 hours max (and typically less). And yes, it will tell you.

DubiousMike, mine did not come with a memory card, I had to buy one. Which in itself was a challenge, because locally I could not find a mini SD card (or mini SD adapter for a micro card) that was larger than 1 gig. So I had to order one.

I'm trying to remember what all was in the box...there was a wall charger, a mini usb, a car cradle, the battery, earbuds, and some minimal startup instructions (like a single page). I can't remember anything else in there.

Cool. I didn't think anything was missing, but its like buying a car, but not all of the options. You end up with areas in the dash where you can tell the cool thing you didn't pay for is missing. Oh, you didn't get the moon roof? Here's a cheap plastic cover to forever remind you that there was going to be a rocker switch here if you weren't such a cheap bastard.

Last edited by dubiousmike; 2008-01-16 at 03:28.

Posts: 538 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle
FWIW, my N810 included a car mount, some cables, & a soft blue case in the box. Plus the battery, of course. I bought it from Buy.com.