Posts: 319 | Thanked: 289 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Lisboa, Portugal
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
People here don't like it when they read negative things about the n900. They get REALLY defensive and throw away common sense and comes out with emotional outbursts instead.

I wish you luck.
No "people" dont...

But "people" also dont like this kind of posts being related to a forum where discussion about a platform takes place. This is not Nokia care forum and I do understand why "people" might get annoyed.

My take in this is: Instead of coming here and talking to deaf ears (no one here really cares and/or will solve your problem) so take your energy applying it against Nokia.

My only suggestion is you using it combined with the TV out to your tv. Nothing else can be done.

This is why I dont like to buy products in other countries. I bought once a HP laptop in France and the same thing happened.

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
This thread contains a similar experience.

Short answer: buy screen from third-party (e.g. ebay) and fit it yourself or pay someone to do it for you - and probably do the job better & sooner than Nokia

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
This is not exclusive to Nokia so although it seems Nokia are being a pain, it's just most international corporations who do this.

Secondly, Why are you unhappy with the N900? you initially say you really like it - but because it has a fault you're unhappy with the whole device as a whole? things go wrong with gadgets all the time. That does not qualify as a reason to say you dont like that specific product.

Lastly, as someone has already mentioned buying things internationally runs you the risk of this situation exactly. It has happened to me and i've learnt from it. Good luck resolving it, and oh remember this Forum really isnt a place where Nokia come to see who is displeased with them. Its a great community for people to discuss and help each others but isnt a Nokia support portal.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to afaq For This Useful Post:
Posts: 440 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Las Vegas, NV
i would suggest to dissassemble it and try it yourself.but DONT TRY TO OPEN IT WITH WRONG SCREW DRIVER IN hoping it can open it with little more pressure. I did that with n82 and now that particular screw can't be opened by any driver, don't know how to solve it, probably destroy the screw head which I tried but seems like its too hard to destroy.

Unfortunately the N900 in not really supported by Nokia and definitely not pushed by them in any way, probably because it never was released as a finished product (thus, unfortunately, it and its spare parts are unavailable in many countries) and only now somewhat getting there.

Support has been relegated to the community, which is actually doing quite a good job at it (probably a better one than what we could expect from companies like Nokia, Apple or Google).

So here is my advice for flashing the N900: Download the Ubuntu Live CD and boot from it. Then follow these instuctions: http://wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_t...firmware#Linux
Haven't tried it myself yet, but I can't see why it wouldn't work.

In any case, the N900 is and will remain not for the faint of heart. Using the device is a learning experience. For some people that's a turn on, for others it's a turn off.

Btw, you might have already voided the warranty by overclocking (which has been made tantalizingly easy), though obviously that shouldn't bar you from purchasing spare parts. I think I saw a link to a website that sells spare parts somewhere on this forums though.

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Brazil
Thanks for help all. Tried disassembling it and putting screen back in place but it still does not work. Will see if I can get a new screen on ebay or have someone else do the work.

Regards,

Posts: 820 | Thanked: 436 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Portsmouth, UK.
Originally Posted by Joseph9560 View Post
i would suggest to dissassemble it and try it yourself.but DONT TRY TO OPEN IT WITH WRONG SCREW DRIVER IN hoping it can open it with little more pressure. I did that with n82 and now that particular screw can't be opened by any driver, don't know how to solve it, probably destroy the screw head which I tried but seems like its too hard to destroy.
Off topic:
Take a small drill and drill off the head of the screw, once there is no head, there is no pressure on the thread, you should then be able to wind it out by hand. If not, cut a small slot in the top of the screw and use a small instrument screwdriver to extract the screw.

I've done this more times than I can remember on everything from engines to watches.

The Following User Says Thank You to James_Littler For This Useful Post:
Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Ryuokii View Post
Trying to send the phone to a NOKIA centre in the US is non-productive (taxes to export, contacts in the US, and how to get it back home) and time ineffective, though is proving to be the last resort ever.
unfortunately, this seems to be your best bet.

look at this thread for example. this canadian user also was unable to get his N900 repaired in his own country, and had to send it to the US.
if you bought it in the US, that's where you have to claim warranty.

(although in your case Nokia should make an exception IMO. the N900 is officially available in Brazil, it's just that your IMEI identifies it as US-bought. Nokia can't make the excuse that there are no "qualified technicians" available or whatever...)

Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
Originally Posted by Ryuokii View Post
Thanks for help all. Tried disassembling it and putting screen back in place but it still does not work. Will see if I can get a new screen on ebay or have someone else do the work.

Regards,
Hope this help: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDQ81cahD1c

Dude...no one force you to get N900...go get some other phones..they are plenty out there to suits your need