The faceplate on my N800 came off a few days ago and I have managed to get it back on, but when I do, the black casing seems to pop up about 3mm at the top. I am thinking that maybe the clips at the top of the faceplate are not attaching properly. If anyone has taken their faceplate off, are the clips at the top folded up or are they extended out? I know that this is an odd question, but if somebody could give me an answer (or even better, a picture of the top of an n800 faceplate) it would be a great help to me in getting it back on in its normal posistion.
Thanks

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I have faceplate removal/reinstallation steps elsewhere in this forum. Short answer is the top notches/tabs have to be *perfect* (and done first) or you get the problem you describe. By the same token, the bottom clips must be snapped in firmly but you can't do that if there is a problem at the top. Remove your faceplate and carefully reinstall. With the faceplate off you can see the relationships.

Could you tell me which way the clips on the top are pointed? I mean are the folded in towards the rest of the face plate or are they out a bit to have a gap between the edge of the clip and the rest of the faceplate?

It's probably me, but I can't quite visualize what you mean by your question. But-- have you not seen the clips, given that your faceplate was off? And do you see how to remove it again?

I know how to remove it, I am just looking for the way to get it properly on without the top of the device popping up. I want to know what posistion the clips at the top of the face plate are in, thinking that mine may have been altered when it came off the tablet.

Ah, okay.

The faceplate *should* provide the means of figuring it out though. Note that the top faceplate tabs are different from the bottom; they actually have slots and *should* be perpendicular to the faceplate surface. These engage first during assembly.

First, make sure the 3 bottom clips are intact and that their lower edge is at least in line with the faceplate edge. You may have to pull or push them into place.

Next, insert the top faceplate tabs into the upper portion of the device body. It can be a little tricky-- you set them down into the cavity with the faceplate pulled forward as far as you can and then push the faceplate back to engage the body tabs. A good way to orient the faceplate properly during this is to make sure the keymat (d-pad) controls are exactly under the opening for them. You may have to wiggle the faceplate around a bit as you finesse it into place.

Finally, swing the faceplate down toward the lower edge and snap all three bottom clips (hooks, tabs, etc) into place. You will hear and feel this happen if it's done right, and the faceplate will feel firm with no springiness at the corners.

Posts: 832 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Phoenix, AZ
Did you see my videos on this? Texrat's advice is good.

I spent a few minutes with my n800 under a light. It is fixed now. Thanks for your help.