Posts: 30 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ United Kingdom
Yep. I learnt the lesson to look in both places, thanks!

I am surprised to learn that somebody is avoiding google by policy but uses skype. However, just adding the account does not help.

I suspect the solution is here: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=77695, as I have had similar problems with N9 some months ago.

Originally Posted by markai View Post
I think to avoid fakes the best bet would be to buy a locked phone from a private seller. It is very unlikely that any large GSM carrier will provide fakes on its contract.
A locked N900?

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by markai View Post
I am surprised to learn that somebody is avoiding google by policy but uses skype.
Sorry for OT but oh, yes. Definitely. I used Skype long before it became Microsoft. Everybody I know and matters to me is on it. Nobody uses anything else. No Whatsap, no Google Talk, no Jabber, no nothing. Skype. Difficult to avoid. The acquisition made me hesitate for about 3 seconds but it was not enough to switch and try to force everyone in my circle to do the same.

But even without that, I would choose Microsoft products over Google any time. Microsoft may be evil but they are evil only as far as large corporations go. Do you drive? Then you deal with a corporation more evil than Microsoft every time you fill up.

Google is worse. Microsoft gets their money by seling software. Google does by selling you. Oh yes, I would choose Microsoft over Google any time.

Last edited by pichlo; 2013-12-10 at 07:32. Reason: Typo. Damn these small keyboards!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Arch Linux has a great article regarding setup of Skype, a couple of options. As a separate user and in a sandboxed environment. The Skype protocol is proprietary as I guess everyone here knows and safe to say sends more than "keep alive" TCP packets when not in use.

Posts: 277 | Thanked: 285 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Poland
What's the difference between those n900s made in Finland and those from Korea? I've had a nice N900 from Korea and sold it for 70€.
Here's one: http://tablica.pl/oferta/nokia-n900-...tml#bb8491adcf I might check it out for you if you want.

Originally Posted by szymeczek34 View Post
What's the difference between those n900s made in Finland and those from Korea?
Pretty much every single N900 a person is likely to come across was made in Korea. The process of "remanufacturing" necessitates a new sticker is made for the body so the IMEI number on the phone motherboard and IMEI on the body match. In their infinite wisdom the remanufacturers will state the phone was "made in Finland" instead of Korea. It's an easy way to spot them.

You can expect a poorer quality:
Touchscreen.
LCD?
Plastics sometimes.
Rear metal screen slider "dexigned in Finland".
Keyboard. Alphanumerics rub off in short order.
Bezel will almost certainly have stripped and broken screw thread.
I got an outwardly excellent but inwardly rubbish fake Nokia branded charger with one I bought.

Last edited by independent; 2013-12-13 at 19:51. Reason: correcting a mistake

Posts: 83 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Nov 2012 @ Sweden
so this is not fake?
~ $ cat /proc/cpuinfo
Processor : ARMv7 Processor rev 3 (v7l)
BogoMIPS : 249.96
Features : swp half thumb fastmult vfp edsp thumbee neon vfpv3
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant : 0x1
CPU part : 0xc08
CPU revision : 3

Hardware : Nokia RX-51 board
Revision : 2104
Serial : 0000000000000000

Posts: 250 | Thanked: 122 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Colorado
No, it's not a fake. My revision is 2101 with BogoMIPS at 499.92 and I bought mine WAY before the fakes starting appearing on the market.

The Following User Says Thank You to jperez2009 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 83 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Nov 2012 @ Sweden
Nice =)
Why do i have only 249,96 BogoMIPS?

The reason is because you bought a mobile computer that can do a lot with very little.

Tags
identify by, working usb