I also down loaded the FM Radio from Maemo. Should I be receiving the stations in Stereo or Mono? Currently, I am just receiving the stations in Mono.

Posts: 209 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fishers, Indiana
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
That's unfortunate. I've been getting really good reception, especially considering I'm in a building where RF is a constant issue.

Make sure your headphone jack is fully inserted, and that you're in an area of good reception.
I'd really like to emphasize that headphones are not the ideal way to get good reception. If you're willing to sacrifice a dollar-store pair you can cut off the headphones themselves and strip back the wires. You don't need the bare copper portion, just the insulated inner wire. That's the actual "antenna", and by experimenting around with lengthening it bit by bit, you can get really great reception, albeit without being able to use actual headphones when listening.
On a related note, I'd like to know if the n800 can sample and record the radio's output. That would be great for time-shifting shows and so forth. Any idea Texrat?

Larry

Originally Posted by Mckoan1 View Post
I also down loaded the FM Radio from Maemo. Should I be receiving the stations in Stereo or Mono? Currently, I am just receiving the stations in Mono.
This is normal FM behaviour if the signal is too weak. I receive most stations in stereo, except when I'm down in the basement - then only the strongest is in stereo, the others are in mono.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by lbattraw View Post
I'd really like to emphasize that headphones are not the ideal way to get good reception. If you're willing to sacrifice a dollar-store pair you can cut off the headphones themselves and strip back the wires. You don't need the bare copper portion, just the insulated inner wire. That's the actual "antenna", and by experimenting around with lengthening it bit by bit, you can get really great reception, albeit without being able to use actual headphones when listening.
On a related note, I'd like to know if the n800 can sample and record the radio's output. That would be great for time-shifting shows and so forth. Any idea Texrat?

Larry
Good points. I'm wondering if it makes any difference if the wires are kept separate in your scenario versus connecting them with a resistor load-- or if the latter is even possible.

I see no reason why radio couldn't be streamed to a data file (WAV, etc). However, that's out of my area of expertise...