i have to send mines in for repair. my power jack became so loose that now it doesnt even charge anymore. cant be recognized by a computer and its just a useless. thing is i keep hearing these horror stories about nokia not wanting to honor warranty and saying things like the phone has physical damage(which mines has a little do to a few drops here and there nothing majhor though) or water damage or what ever reason they want to use to get out of it. i want to check myself so i can take a picture of it to prove the phone does not have water damage before sending it off. Then i can put the picture in the box with the phone and then take a picture of that. i hate to be this cautious with Nokia and would like to think the best of them but they have done some really grimey **** to me in the past and i dont trust them. i dont put anything past them now. so where do i find this thing?

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australian in the Philippines
Sounds a tad like you've treated the phone fairly roughly from your description. A few drops here and there, how many? Me, I've dropped mine once from my table, landed on a towel, I just about cried even though no damage was done.

Send it off, if they don't repair it under warranty then this is your wake up call to treat your stuff with more care. Just suck it up and pay.

Why the fixation on moisture? If you dunked it in a jug of beer or the cat knocked it in the bath, sure, this sucks, and while there might be a couple of bad apples inside Nokia, not everyone is bad. Only you know what 'really' happened, and if what really happened is what you say, then don't worry about it, send it off for warranty.

Posts: 53 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ san jose, california
I haven't seen one on my n900, and you may want to check some of the tear down videos on youtube:

http://techblog.gr/mobile/nokia-n900-teardown-08635/

and:

http://www.tehkseven.net/news/nokia-...0-disassembly/

i'm not seeing anything that looks like a water damage sensor.
good luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to m_sparks For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dchky View Post
Sounds a tad like you've treated the phone fairly roughly from your description. A few drops here and there, how many? Me, I've dropped mine once from my table, landed on a towel, I just about cried even though no damage was done.

Send it off, if they don't repair it under warranty then this is your wake up call to treat your stuff with more care. Just suck it up and pay.

Why the fixation on moisture? If you dunked it in a jug of beer or the cat knocked it in the bath, sure, this sucks, and while there might be a couple of bad apples inside Nokia, not everyone is bad. Only you know what 'really' happened, and if what really happened is what you say, then don't worry about it, send it off for warranty.
I've dropped it 3 or maye 4 times. there is a tiney scratch on the corner of the screen. either way that has nothing to do with the power jack port becoming loose. it didnt occure after I dropped it. the thing has always been loose. and after the way nokia has screwed me in the past you would be cautious too.

the fixation on moisture damage is because that seems to be the thing that is most popular as to why nokia wont fix this issue under warranty. And it also seems to be the thing that only Nokia can prove seeing as how after all my research i still cant find a darn water indicator.

you can say dont worry all you want. but nokia and life has shown me that when its your word against some one elses a pic is worth a thousand words. documentation is irrefutable.

i think u missunderstood my post. i dont need a wake up call. I need for this company to honor there warranty agreement. you see friend. i need to use the warranty because of a, and say it with me now.. Man-u-factures dee-fect! got it? awesome now we are on the same page. this issue with the power jack is not a user abuse thing. you should look it up in your free time. really. especially since it may also happen to you eventually.

The Following User Says Thank You to andraeseus1 For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Dude, Nokia hasn't covered some folks that have had no reason for their phone to be sent back in disrepair; fixed or replaced some others without incident.

Send it in, cross your fingers.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Dude, Nokia hasn't covered some folks that have had no reason for their phone to be sent back in disrepair; fixed or replaced some others without incident.

Send it in, cross your fingers.
yeah, fingers crossed. sitting tight. prepared to buy a brand new one if i have to. i love the phone that much that i would by the exact same model again. which woiuld be a first for me. from what I have been reading nokia seems to be better about covering this under warranty. i just dont like some one bs'ing me and they have in the past. we shall see. i have no choice but to give them the benefit of the doubt at this point

Glad I am not the only insane person. While trying to get Nokia to fix my phone (sent 3 times) I bought another N900 to get me through it. I don't think there even is a water sensor, so if their repair service is telling people this it sounds like a good class action suit. That group doing repairs is down right criminal.

My N900 has exactly the same problem. It wont charge unless I hold the cable in a certain way. I took it into a Nokia shop and they've had to send it away to get fixed. Hopefully I should be getting it back this week.

if you dismantle it and prove you have done so by adding pictures does this not invalidate the warranty anyway???

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 537 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ scotland
the water damage sensor is usually under the battery, like a red/white checked pattern with non-fast dyes that run after the slightest provocation to leave just a pink square. i've had repair centres deny me repairs because of the pink square but they have relented under pressure.

"i'm afraid we cant repair your phone sir, its been water damaged."
"no it hasn't"
"yes it has, the water damage indicator is indicating water damage"
"and thats the only way the water the stupid thing would turn pink is it? undeniable irrefutable proof that its gotten wet? couldn't have been acceptable humidity levels or moisture from my fingers when changing the battery or a defective indicator."
"well our policy is if its water damaged..."
"imve told u its not water damaged, the pink square lies! the pink square is the only bit signalling any kind of moisture whatsoever and unless the pink square is integral to the functionallity of my phone, and indeed is what's causing these problems, then i suggest you ignore it, find the problem, realise it has no association to water damage and fix it for me."
"ah well... okay."

its a sad day when i can't slip at least one hitchhiker reference in somewhere.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to festivalnut For This Useful Post: