Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by 9000 View Post
Nokia cannot scraped the MeeGo project on her own. It's a joint project with Intel.

And Elop promised there are _2_ MeeGo devices from Nokia by _2014_. That's very promising and exciting news for Nokia fans.

Of course, Elop didn't promised these particular two devices are mobile phones. It could be a tablet and a toaster, or two toasters. But still, general public is overwhelming excited upon hearing the news, and rushed to express their good-wish in the stock market.
two :O :O

my message is too long

Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
MeGo is dead as far as Nokia is concerned. Why waste money on an OS that is never going to be?

Short list of dead OS'es:
MeeGo

I am sure threads like this kill (MeeGo) more than even Elop could hope to accomplish. Christ I am looking forward to the date when Nokia ships the first device with WP. Hallelujah

Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
If you look at what MS are and do you will see that mobile hardware is not there thing at all,
I'd even suggest that mobile software is not their thing at all. Even with the new approaches.

if i was CEO of MS and i wanted to go big in mobile software then i would look to buy a company that manufacturs mobile hardware.

They like everyone else in the world have been watching Nokia and with Nokia obviously failing mainly because of there software weakness, MS obviously seen what was happening with Nokia knowing full well the potential of a merger or buyout.

Buying out Nokia is not an option unless you have THAT much capitol to use so they waited for the right time to jump in with the merger offer bringing the 2 together as one basically.
I almost fully agree.

Nokia WILL benefit no mater what in the long term as MS have a huge past record behind them and can sustain this for a very long time.
Not the "old" Nokia, that would do everything for themselves (from design over hardware manufacturing to their own OS). They loved their independence. They were quite open for a large company in adopting new idears and approaching the free software communities (almost as consequently as Google)
This "old" Nokia is dead now. And almost all software they had. (Including MeeGo for Nokia phones to get that reference to the thread's topic)

MS on the other hand needed to develop further in another field so with mobile hardware technology improving tremendously, they have made the move probably at the right time on mobile software now, having the right company to develop the hardware.
Probably the best one for hardware, ture that in terms of quality. But what about price? I think the asian companies will soon rush the market with a lot of cheap devices with fair quality. (Including WP7 on those, but no MeeGo as far as I can see)

This merger will not be short lived in any way or form and people who think otherwise do not look deep enough into the 2 companies.

Something good has to happen on the law of averages alone so my mind is set on a wait and see basis but i bet we will not have to wait too long.
It's not a merger quite yet, but I think it will be some sort of soon.
But I'm not sure on the outcome. A thousand engineer's brains is not always better than 500 engineer's brains. Only if the steering is right. To harness the full potential, the management has to do the right job. And I'm afraid the "old" Nokia philosophy, to which some engineers there will still adhere, is fundamentally incompatible with that of Mircrosoft's engineers. I wonder if any Microsoft developer would ever work on MeeGo or Qt passionately (not that this is anywhere near any debate).

Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
I am sure threads like this kill (MeeGo) more than even Elop could hope to accomplish. Christ I am looking forward to the date when Nokia ships the first device with WP. Hallelujah
I'm not saying it's dead. It's not dead at all.
It's a Linux Foundation project with strong support of Intel. That's more than most Linux distributions can offer.

It's just dead on Nokia hardware as long as Microsoft has any influence there (and they have with big $$$).

But we'll for sure see MeeGo Netbooks and Tablets (espectially with the comming Intel Atoms), maybe even smartphones by some asian manufacturer.

Posts: 61 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Dallas, Texas
Too bad we don't get good insider information, or if we do, its buried in all the speculation. Good information is what I want, and I have not seen that in a while.

Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by lohner View Post
I'm not saying it's dead. It's not dead at all.
It's a Linux Foundation project with strong support of Intel. That's more than most Linux distributions can offer.

It's just dead on Nokia hardware as long as Microsoft has any influence there (and they have with big $$$).

But we'll for sure see MeeGo Netbooks and Tablets (espectially with the comming Intel Atoms), maybe even smartphones by some asian manufacturer.
I even got MeeGo on my netbook, but so what? I also got Joli Cloud, and it beats MeeGo any day. And then it's that OS that widens the scope of your netbook like no other, open up endless possibilities, it's called Windows 7.

List of ecosystems:
Apple (suck the money and soul out of you)
Android (suck every bit of privacy out of you)
MeeGo (doesn't suck, doesn't anything, doesn't even exist, and never will)
Windows (the perfect blend of quality HW, and balanced software to support and boost your life)

Windows (the perfect blend of quality HW, and balanced software to support and boost your life)
Alright, no comment.

Banned | Posts: 778 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on Jun 2010
I even got MeeGo on my netbook, but so what? I also got Joli Cloud, and it beats MeeGo any day. And then it's that OS that widens the scope of your netbook like no other, open up endless possibilities, it's called Windows 7.

List of ecosystems:
Apple (suck the money and soul out of you)
Android (suck every bit of privacy out of you)
MeeGo (doesn't suck, doesn't anything, doesn't even exist, and never will)
Maemo (A OS with a *****y support forum thats never happy with anything)

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
lol you guys...
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 695 | Thanked: 308 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ originally pakistan ,now in china
why not ask Elop to come over here and just announce whether meego is still up or down forever ?
better than just babbling around .
2-3 devices will come upto 2014 ..so wait up guys .

Tags
bada blows, buysomethinelse, erics the idiot, goodbye nokia, nok+ms rox more, nokia's dead, oh so dead, so dead