Closed Thread
mikecomputing: I don't know about Jolla's business plans. But licensing Sailfish based on of its closed components doesn't sound like a good idea to me. But I can see that it can be challenging to come up with some sustainable approach.

Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Yes thats exacly how stuff works. KDE and Gnome will go same route in some year. Its only way to move forward and totally logical on embedded OS:es too...
the distributions will be keeping x11 as a compatibility option for a long time to come. so i don't know if youre pretending not to understand, or you really can't grasp the arguments.

Originally Posted by marbleuser View Post
the distributions will be keeping x11 as a compatibility option for a long time to come. so i don't know if youre pretending not to understand, or you really can't grasp the arguments.
But not ubuntu phone. Thats a lonely island with its MIR solution.
How should that be better than wayland, which everyone else supports as x11 replacement?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Morpog For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Morpog View Post
But not ubuntu phone. Thats a lonely island with its MIR solution.
How should that be better than wayland, which everyone else supports as x11 replacement?
well, mir has an x11 compatibility layer.. i haven't checked the details of whether or not this is on their phone. i just assumed it was.

Originally Posted by Morpog View Post
Thats where Nemo UI/UX will go: http://play.qwazix.com/grog/
I like the mock-ups. But until Nemo will get a solid set of core applications such as e-mail client it will remain a prototyping tool and not a practical day to day OS. I would totally start using Nemo since it's fully open as soon as it will be practical.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
this is indeed looking pretty good to me right now

http://www.ubuntu.com/phone
Apparently you haven't been following all Mir stories & related discussions closely over the last few months.
I implore you to start doing that, & not just at Canonical-centric news sites or the most popular tech blogs -which usually have zero clue.
I won't go into to detail as-to-what I mean, as this thread has already been derailed more than enough...

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-07-18 at 03:35.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Apparently you haven't been following all Mir stories & related discussions closely over the last few months.
I implore you to start doing that, & not just at Canonical-centric news sites or the most popular tech blogs -which usually have zero clue.
I won't go into to detail as-to-what I mean, as this thread has already been derailed more than enough...
if somebody asked me what FUD meant, i'd direct them to that post.

Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
OK, Stskeeps said that so far it's closed (UI and core applications) but what's going to be in the future isn't known. I take it, that with the release the stuff will be closed, which is sad. So Firefox OS will present itself with fully open stack, and Sailfish will be at a disadvantage.
This makes no sense, they had said the following (not verbatim) only a few mths back:
"Silica is open, only thing to be closed is most core/stock apps, some of those have proprietary code borrowed from elsewhere (e.g. aliendalvik), others don't.
But we wish to keep them closed so that we can license our flavour of Sailfish."

It absolutely confounds me that they're now saying that the entire uppermost layer is closed, at least for foreseeable future.
I'd been suspecting for some time that they were moving this way, it's silly, their original plan of having 2 versions of Sailfish made way more sense.
I'm very disappointed about this....

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-07-18 at 15:53. Reason: typo

if somebody asked me what FUD meant, i'd direct them to that post.
Well, it was inspired by your regular FUD-infused posts, it's got to come from somewhere.
I will PM you in more detail about what I was talking about....

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-07-18 at 04:31.

The way I understood it that Silica is open, but it doesn't mean the core UX will be open. Anyway, the details were rather scarce, so I won't make conclusions. Either way - something will remain closed and it's already negative, no matter what that is (and I'm not talking about any Android stuff and etc.). Either they'll open things up, or community should focus on Nemo more, as a fully open stack.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
jolla, nokia-again?, not-so-open, totally closed, zipper is open