Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
So far my biggest complaint using the N900 this week is a combination of my mistake 4 years ago and AT&T's poor 2G service. When I moved back then, I got a new number local to this area with a nationwide MVNO. I could have specified that I wanted a SIM with either AT&T or T-Mobile service, and I didn't specify.

For the N9, this is no problem. It works equally well at 3G on either of those networks. AT&T, however, is GSM-only for the N900 due to the bands they use vs. the phone's support. So data is limited to EDGE at best. And on top of that AT&T is phasing out 2G service in the US, so coverage is getting increasingly spotty and voice service quality is getting worse where there is still service.

But it's still been fun using the beast this week. When I sit down to watch videos on the Kodi box, I pull the N900 out of my pocket and it can transmit IR to wake up the amplifier and TV set, and also control the media center over wifi. I don't need to hunt up all the necessary remotes to get everything going. And the Palm emulator gives me access to my all-time favorite shopping list program: Handyshopper.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Posts: 160 | Thanked: 302 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Spain
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
...And oh blasphemy, no need to install an "app" for that....
This is just occured to me. While "there's an app for that" approach is for 99,999997% userbase, for N900 owners it is "there's an apt- for that" instead.

Boy, what can I say? EPIC......No, LEGENDARY......

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to xanderx For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Last day in paradise. Day 7 of 7. Going for a long drive today. Will see if n900 gps can keep up with car's build-in satNav.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Last day in paradise. Day 7 of 7.
So, end of this 'special week'!
Not so special for me as I still use it as my main phone (since 6 years, with third HW).

Carrying around my N9 with me most of the time for some free internet, SMS (calls) and -I am embarassed- WhatsUp for some sport groups!
With Symbian discontinued I should switch the N9 to one of my Jollas but I keep carrying N900 and N9!!! And answer WazzApp only at home. (call me whatever you like)

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 158 | Thanked: 340 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ middle of nowhere
So, when will the next "Mighty Week" be?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ryu1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by ryu1 View Post
For me it will be the week right after this week!

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by ryu1 View Post
This is an yearly event but that doesn't mean we can't have The-mighty-winter-classic-n900-week. Feel free to set it up. Around December?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 158 | Thanked: 340 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ middle of nowhere
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
This is an yearly event but that doesn't mean we can't have The-mighty-winter-classic-n900-week. Feel free to set it up. Around December?
Any time in the winter would be fine for me. December is ok.

This kind of events will keep the n900 alive.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ryu1 For This Useful Post:
Everybody, freeze! Drop your n900!

The week is almost over. Thank you all who participated in this event, either by using it during this week or as your daily driver.

n900 is still a solid device.

Over and out

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Thanks for excellent reminiscing N900 week, @Dave999!

This is the last posting that I am writing on my device for a while, next I am transferring my simcard back to Jolla sbj1.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post: