Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Which comprises about 90% of the population
You know, a trillion flies cannot be wrong; s*it tastes so good...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bingomion View Post
hmmm... nope, still the N900! :P
six years later,
n900 remains the best linux effort ever made.

sure hope the Pyra works out.

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to theonelaw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
You know, a trillion flies cannot be wrong; s*it tastes so good...
At least the flies know how to leech useful stuff out of it

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Jokes aside, the flies example is actually pretty apt. Frozen pizza from the supermarket is another one. If you are a pizza aficionado, then you would spurn it with disgust. But if you are just want to get things done, a frozen pizza will do quite well, as would any other ready-made meal prepared by someone else.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Is it worth revisiting a "make out own" type of thing?

TLR - Is it possible to have enough people to agree on sticking a single board PC in a case, along with a screen (6 or 7 inches), a battery, and keyboard?

With bazillions of projects being done with the raspberry pi 1,2&3 it is definitely possible to make something that fits in a pocket...even if it has to be a large coat pocket- I think I'd setle for that.

Example...
- As a forum, decide on some hardware - put it to a vote if need be, to choose the board that is preferred to work with. I have no idea myself. I am but a lowly "end-user" that occasionally tinkers with things, but someone out there must have put Linux on some of the more powerful single board computers out there:

2 other options apart from a raspberry pi 3 (which I don't think is powerful enough really) off the top of my head:
Lattepanda
Udoo x86
I have seen loads that I can't think of right now.

After that, find a "case", or shell that is easily available. I have seen youtubers put Raspberry pi's into pencil cases, with battery and 7inch screen -and even a bluetooth keyboard - all fitting inside. There has got to be some readily available case solution like that to fit. Or maybe there's a 3D ptinting firm that someone knows about that could knock a few hundred case designs out and give a discount on price if enough people confirm an order. I'd even go for making something out of polystyrene.

End result- a "standard", pocket fitting, Linux PC that you can walk around with, use anywhere and doesn't cost the earth.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kyllerbuzcut For This Useful Post:
If anyone wants to see something that has been done already for Windows and Android - and gone I to production on a larger scale, then search for the gole1

The 4gb ram version. With 64gb storage comes to £129.99 at the moment. The 2gb/32gb is about £100
It has a 5 inch screen, battery for 2.5 hours, runs full windows 10, and android 5.something.
It has full size usb ports and really does fit in a pocket.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by kyllerbuzcut View Post
End result- a "standard", pocket fitting, Linux PC that you can walk around with, use anywhere and doesn't cost the earth.
I'd say we already have Neo900 which fits the bill.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
I'd say we already have Neo900 which fits the bill.
While neo900 looks good, and I might even get one... I do think that it wouldn't pack enough punch to be doing a lot of the tasks that I'd imagine a computer doing.

To take around, as my phone, when I don't need to be doing anything too serious, then yeah - neo900 would be cool. I still love my old n900, and having a newer model of it would rock. If I want a computer in my pocket I think it falls short.
Some specs are already looking underpowered when compared to basic androids.

While neo900 looks good, and I might even get one... I do think that it wouldn't pack enough punch to be doing a lot of the tasks that I'd imagine a computer doing.

To take around, as my phone, when I don't need to be doing anything too serious, then yeah - neo900 would be cool. I still love my old n900, and having a newer model of it would rock. If I want a computer in my pocket I think it falls short.
Some specs are already looking underpowered when compared to basic androids.
I hear often this argument that older HW lacks power, but what is this power that people think they need?
I imagine arcade games are just about the only kind of software that requires lots of processing power, and even that is not CPU but GPU power.
I don't do games, so this featureset is irrelevant to me.
Having enough core memory and high-speed connectivity are much more important than graphics throughput.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
If anyone wants to see something that has been done already for Windows and Android - and gone I to production on a larger scale, then search for the gole1

The 4gb ram version. With 64gb storage comes to £129.99 at the moment. The 2gb/32gb is about £100
It has a 5 inch screen, battery for 2.5 hours, runs full windows 10, and android 5.something.
It has full size usb ports and really does fit in a pocket.
This did sound very promising,
except it has SoC InTrails
oozing steamy rust-brown fumes like
unworkable WiFi,
dead in the water Bluetooth,
and hordes of other gotchas
just waiting to be discovered after your money is gone.
Even worse, they used Broadcom chits in it:
Wifi, Bluetooth, no random reboots - pick one.

[a new moniker for Intel "Trail" chips: InTrails ]

https://plus.google.com/communities/...706361/s/linux
[RANT]
Forums lacking timestamps?!
Google Plus exceeds loathesomeness/despicability scaling for that
[/RANT]
Can you tell I am having a difficult morning?

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900

The Following User Says Thank You to theonelaw For This Useful Post:

Tags
f*ck apple, f*ck google, f*ck microsoft, gnu telephony, gnu/linux, linux deploy