Hello

Is there any documentation and/or tutorial for Jolla?
If I watch QML tutorials, will they work at least almost the same way when creating a Jolla app?

Thanks

-noob

The Following User Says Thank You to Makkara For This Useful Post:
https://sailfishos.org/develop/ should get you started.
The SDK has some examples and studying other people's code (e.g. from Github) is one way to learn. Here's one collection of open source apps https://github.com/sailfishapps

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tmi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
Originally Posted by Makkara View Post
Hello

Is there any documentation and/or tutorial for Jolla?
If I watch QML tutorials, will they work at least almost the same way when creating a Jolla app?

Thanks

-noob
Yes you can start with Digia articles about Qt5/QtQuick2 and it will apply to SailfishOS also, you just need to use native Sailfish Silica UI components instead of desktop QtQuick.Controls.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 37 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on Aug 2005 @ Bremen, Germany
You can also take a look at a demo application on github https://github.com/amarchen/helloworld-pro-sailfish

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to max_power For This Useful Post:
There are also several videos about it on youtube. Just search for Jolla SDK and you will find a few. Some old ones but as a basic start still good enough.

Donate using Liberapay

The Following User Says Thank You to llelectronics For This Useful Post:
Is it a requirement to use an SDK to develop programs/apps for Jolla?

SDK is really a really big no no in general. Does Jolla not have the tools to install for example GCC?

One of the worst things about Nokia N900 is the lack of libc and core GNU components.

As far as I know Mer is GNU and not busybox, right?

Does Jolla support libc/make/gcc?

If not, then Jolla is no better than N9 which was pretty bad compared to N900 which again was not perfect. The natural way forward from N900 which used Busybox was ofcourse full GNU and replace GTK with QT and keep everything else.

This unfortunately did not happen, which still makes Nokia N900 king of mobile devices in 2015, which is quite sad considering it was released in 2008.

The mobile marked sucks!

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by zeebra View Post
Is it a requirement to use an SDK to develop programs/apps for Jolla?
No, you don't have to:
https://together.jolla.com/question/...h-on-sailfish/

In short, you can comfortably develop QML only or Python & QML applications directly on the device. And you can use the Mer OBS with the Sailfish OS target to build stuff that needs to be compiled (it is quite easy to reuse packaging from other RPM based distros such as Fedora).

Not sure about installing compilers & co. directly on the device but I don't think anything technical should be preventing that as long as the needed packages are available.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Of course you can install the usual compilers and tools to Jolla, it is a Mer-Linux-distribution after all.
If it wasn't so, how would you be able to compile your kernel on it, huh??

[nemo@Jolla ~]$
[nemo@Jolla ~]$ gcc --version
gcc (Linaro GCC 4.6-2013.05) 4.6.4 20130412 (Mer 4.6.4-1)
Copyright © 2011 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
Tämä ohjelma on vapaaohjelmisto; Katsokaa kopiointiehdot lähdekoodista.
Tällä ohjelmistolla EI OLE TAKUUTA; ei edes KAUPALLISESTI HYVÄKSYTTÄVÄSTÄ
LAADUSTA tai SOPIVUUDESTA TIETTYYN TARKOITUKSEEN.
[nemo@Jolla ~]$

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by zeebra View Post
SDK is really a really big no no in general
OK, why is it a really big no no?

I couldn't imagine anything worse than having to develop on device with no tools.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
OK, why is it a really big no no?
I think he means, it is an overkill if you just want to create console applications. For that no "SDK" is needed, just standard toolchains is perfect.

Originally Posted by aegis View Post
I couldn't imagine anything worse than having to develop on device with no tools.
Sure, but tools come in many sizes and shapes. There are some "SDK's" that I hate like hell because they come diagonally in your way when you are trying to accomplish something. The SFOS SDK is actually quite nice.

Tags
developing, sailfish os