Originally Posted by bnwg View Post
Alien Dalvik [on Xperia X] will be based on the 4.4.4 (sledges, 08:54:10)

What?
As far as I understand it, the problem is that Google changed a lot in Android 5. The current Alien Dalvik can not be adapted easily to newer version, but needs major adjustments.
Jolla probably decided to focus on providing a stable Xperia X Image first before tackling this issue (and preventing having an additional source of errors during that).

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to jenix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by jenix View Post
As far as I understand it, the problem is that Google changed a lot in Android 5. The current Alien Dalvik can not be adapted easily to newer version, but needs major adjustments.
Jolla probably decided to focus on providing a stable Xperia X Image first before tackling this issue (and preventing having an additional source of errors during that).
Makes sense but that's quite a bit behind

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mariusmssj For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by mariusmssj View Post
Makes sense but that's quite a bit behind
As long as it runs the handful of Android apps I'm using, I'm happy. None of them from Play Store.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jenix View Post
Not quite, its probably not even really up to Jolla at all considering that they license Alien-Dalvik from Myriad Group. In this instance I'm not sure that Myriad really care about Alien-Dalvik that much any more and so they aren't updating it, and if Jolla wants them to they will probably have to pay for the work.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by r0kk3rz View Post
Not quite, its probably not even really up to Jolla at all considering that they license Alien-Dalvik from Myriad Group. In this instance I'm not sure that Myriad really care about Alien-Dalvik that much any more and so they aren't updating it, and if Jolla wants them to they will probably have to pay for the work.
Which is why it's a better bet to help get Anbox working on Sailfish, and once it's stable enough, I'm sure Jolla would consider replacing Alien Dalvik with Anbox outright.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to nh1402 For This Useful Post:
What are the current issues with Anbox on Sailfish OS?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by taixzo View Post
What are the current issues with Anbox on Sailfish OS?
It requires numerous kernel patches to work, more patches for older kernels ie. 3.4 kernel of which we haven't managed to get it booting on, yet. The only device so far that has got Anbox booting is the Jolla C.

As for the image itself running on Sailfish, the issues are no input, no keyboard, and no navigation bar.

My next phone will most likely be the XZ1, when that comes out my Nexus 5 will be free to freely test and work on Anbox. Not yet sure which to do first, hybris-ify Android Oreo in order to get Sailfish on the XZ1 or Anbox on Sailfish, probably the latter, as I know more about the inner workings of Android (I have a potential fix for the latter two anbox image issues) than I do about hybris.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to nh1402 For This Useful Post:
So that means Anbox would only be able to work on devices that have a newer kernel then?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by taixzo View Post
So that means Anbox would only be able to work on devices that have a newer kernel then?
No, we just need to find out why it's not booting, and fix it. The main problem why it's not working is LXC might be missing some things in the kernel which we could patch in, or it's not configured correctly.

Last edited by nh1402; 2017-08-24 at 20:49.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to nh1402 For This Useful Post:
Blog Post is done:

Introducing Sailfish X and all the details you want to know

https://blog.jolla.com/sailfishx/

The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to Unreasonable Behaviour For This Useful Post:

Tags
sailfish os, sony xperia x