Posts: 37 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ The Netherlands
Hi,

I would like to install the Maemo SDK but I got stuck with the Xephyr installation. The tutorial says "Xephyr is pre-installed in the rootsrap, so just to make starting up Xephyr easier, create this kind of "start-xephyr.sh" script. Change the name of the target to the one you are using, here "SDK_PC":" but I can't find it anywhere. I also did not manage to install it myself it should be in the Xserver package, but that is installed already?

This is my first Linux try out ever, I installed Debian and the Gnome interface including Xserver. The Nokia 770 seemed a nice project to me to learn to work with Linux

Thanx!

Figured it out...

[sbox-SDK_PC: ~] > sbox-config -er /scratchbox/packages/Maemo_Dev_Platform_RS_v1.1rc5_i386.tgz
Extracting /scratchbox/packages/Maemo_Dev_Platform_RS_v1.1rc5_i386.tgz to /targets/.tmp/SDK_PC
Moving /targets/SDK_PC to /targets/.old/SDK_PC
Moving /targets/.tmp/SDK_PC to /targets/SDK_PC
Restarting Scratchbox shell...
Hangup
Shell restarting...
[sbox-SDK_PC: ~] >

Was not working correct for some reason??? So the complete package was not unpacked...

OK, now I have a Xephyr window but when I try to startup the Maemo GUI in the window I get the following errors. I hope somebody can help me. Thanx!

[sbox-SDK_PC: ~] > af-sb-init.sh start
<listen>unixath=/tmp/session_bus_socket</listen>
export DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=unixath=/tmp/session_bus_socket
whoami: cannot find username for UID 1000
/scratchbox/tools/bin/mkdir: cannot create directory `/home//.osso': Permission denied
/usr/bin/af-sb-init.sh: line 30: /home//.osso/current-gtk-theme: No such file or directory
Starting DBUS system bus
Starting D-BUS session bus daemon
Starting Sapwood image server
Starting Matchbox window manager
Starting Keyboard
Starting MAEMO AF Desktop
[sbox-SDK_PC: ~] > Could not get password database information for UID of curren t process: User "???" unknown or no memory to allocate password entry

Unknown username "root" in message bus configuration file
Could not get password database information for UID of current process: User "?? ?" unknown or no memory to allocate password entry

Unknown username "root" in message bus configuration file
sapwood-server[9070]: GLIB WARNING ** GLib - getpwuid_r(): failed due to unknown user id (1000)

The Following User Says Thank You to TVD For This Useful Post:
Posts: 42 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Northwich, Cheshire, UK
I had trouble trying to get the SDK going too - used to Windows and developing in Visual Studio but keen to have a go at development for my soon to be delivered 770. Installin Ubunto was easy, getting the SDK going was beyond me at my first attempt!

We could really do with a step by step guide - anyone up to doing this?

I did manage to get the Live CD version going - more details here - but this has yet to be updated for the 1.1 RC

Thanx martymcr, I didn't know there was also a LiveCD! An update of the Maemo installation tutorial should be nice I lost my sunday on trying...

Posts: 155 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ central georgia, usa
The Zephyr is only in the "unstable" 1.1rc. If you install the "stable" SDK, it isn't there. (so now, I have both.)

I think you missed a line in the instructions

export DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:2

Also,

If you are new to Linux, that ampersand in

$./start-xephyr.sh &

is critical.

You may want to make the user in the scratchbox a member of the "users" group.

Posts: 605 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ La Rochelle, France
I think you should log into a "standard" user (ie not root) before login into scratchbox ...

Posts: 155 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ central georgia, usa
Originally Posted by fredoll
I think you should log into a "standard" user (ie not root) before login into scratchbox ...
scratchbox will error-out if you are root...

Posts: 192 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Eugene, Oregon
Originally Posted by martymcr
We could really do with a step by step guide - anyone up to doing this?
Let me suggest that you, and everyone else, document your successes. Who knows - maybe you'll all have a convenient place to put what you have learned and will learn soon. An important lesson for all of us is that it doesn't matter what we know unless we publish it for others to learn, too.

Updated my blog on setting up a dev. environment for the 770.