I was wondering if anybody here have played with dual-booting or chrooting any linux distro in a Samsung exynos cromebook. How was it ? I am sure that its way better than doing it in an Android phone (or even in a tablet) w/o a hwkbd and touchpad. Anything else ? I'm just about to buy that thing just to tinker with it.
Thanks

Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
I've no experience with Chromebooks but I've been reading up a lot about it recently as I'm thinking of buying one for the sole purpose of installing a proper Linux distro.

I've never actually owned a laptop in my life (although I did use one from work for a while). I've just never liked them for a number of reasons. They're too expensive when compared to a desktop of a similar spec, they're not very portable (too big and heavy in my opinion), poor battery life, they generate too much heat, they're too noisy and there's a very limited number of options available if you don't want to pay the Windows tax. The recent Chromebooks solve all of those problems so I'm finally convinced that a laptop would be a worthwhile purchase.

What draws you to the Samsung Exynos models? The two Chromebooks I've been considering are the 4GB/1080p models of the Acer Chromebook 13 (Tegra CPU) and the Toshiba Chromebook 2 (Celeron CPU). I'm edging towards the Toshiba right now.

I found the ArchLinux wiki page quite useful for advice on installing Linux.

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

They're too expensive when compared to a desktop of a similar spec, they're not very portable (too big and heavy in my opinion), poor battery life, they generate too much heat, they're too noisy and there's a very limited number of options available if you don't want to pay the Windows tax. The recent Chromebooks solve all of those problems so I'm finally convinced that a laptop would be a worthwhile purchase.
Thats exactually what I'm thinking about.

What draws you to the Samsung Exynos models? .
The size and of course the price tag.
Edit: it seems that I missed the most important thing. I want an ARM device altough i know that it'll be more tricky to get a real distro running on it.

I found the ArchLinux wiki page quite useful for advice on installing Linux.
Thanks. I think I'll chrooting Ubuntu by installing crouton at first since its pretty safe and straitfoward. Later on we'll see.
Thanks again and please let me know if you try anything.

Last edited by saponga; 2014-12-14 at 14:21.

Ok... chrooting ubuntu and/or debian from chrome OS in an ARM processor isn't thaaaat funny. Mostly because there are many programs that aren't supported at this ARCH and even though i can compile most of them, still some are closed source. Other thing is that the cheap hardware of Sansung Exynos XE303xxx limits it's usage like, e.g. NO monitor mode or injection. But the battery life is amazingly good and if you wanna a cheap and incredibly light notebook where you can write or work on a presentation using libreoffice all day long w/o carring out a wall charger, this is for you. And the performance is great too. Now it's time to dualbooting