Posts: 23 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Sep 2011 @ Asunción, Paraguay, South America
While they're not necessarily stellar, the specs may be good. Remember, the device is built to run native apps and thus, like the N900, may pack a reasonable punch and a great experiences with comparatively less resources than; say, an Android phone.

If the camera is good, if Jolla open ways to hack and be root at the phone (like in the N900) and if there's an "other half" with an HW keyboard, I think we would have a winner.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sombragris For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Sorry, but the device is built to run Android apps. There goes smooth experience out of the window with those specs....

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,236 | Thanked: 1,278 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Balochistan
Originally Posted by fullauto View Post
I guess that SoC must be MSM8930(Dual-Core Krait300, Clock Speed up to 1.7GHz, but in Jolla Phone, it blocked in 1.4GHz), it has an Adreno 305 GPU. That SoC only support qHD display.

In fact, Qualcomm have a MSM8930 MDP, it blocked Clock Speed in 1.4GHz as well.

================================================== =
And:

The SoC in HTC ONE Mini (LTE version) is MSM8930AB ( support HD display and it blocked Clock Speed in 1.4GHz ).

The SoC in Galaxy S4 Mini (LTE version) is MSM8930AB ( support HD display and it blocked Clock Speed in 1.7GHz ) too, but the phone only has a qHD display.
Adreno 305 ? if its true then Adreno 305 is not acceptable for a high end device with this price range. they should have atleast used Qualcomm MSM8960T (same chipset in Xperia SP) with adreno 320.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
The fuss about the specs is assuming that the OS is as bloated as Android. Let's see if that's the case.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
About the specs, as they base off wayland (vs X11), they should require less context switches (vs loaded cores).
This should give better reactivity to the phone.

LINKer - transform your N9's home view in a Desktop, give it the freedom it deserves! -> LINKer for Harmattan

QuickBar - Can't find the app you used yesterday in your overcrowded Home Screen? Want access to the QuickLaunch bar even in the home screen? QuickBar for Harmattan

If you like our work, and would like to support via PayPal : users.giulietta@gmail.com

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tortoisedoc For This Useful Post:
since it runs on that chipset it means its probably doable to make it run on a nexus 4 depending what drivers are like.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
http://www.jollausers.com/2013/09/jollaspex/

See comment blogger thinks its this chipset http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_velocity...afone-4525.php

its means:

CPU: Qualcomm MSM8260 Snapdragon
GPU: Adreno 220

So maybe its time people stop dream of snapdragon >= 400 and latest greatest GFX.

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2013-09-22 at 22:33.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by zimon View Post
OK, thanks. Will try out the newest version.
I remembered wrong, it wasn't filesystem where it left files all around, but in the Gallery system, all the map tiles were seen as images and it messed the Gallery up. (There may be a way to exclude the modrana directories to be seen by system as places for image files, but didn't then search instructions for it. There were the similar problems in the N900 way back also.)
Weird, I think it should actually use the sqlite tile storage on Android, I'll investigate.

BTW, just in case, looks this is how directory scanning can be disabled on Android for a directory sub-tree:
  • place a file called .nomedia to the folder
  • the folder and all subfolders will not be indexed

(source)

No idea if/how that influences already scanned folders though. But I think I'll make modRana add a .noimage file when creating the maps folder, just in case.

I did install Qt frameworks also and Modrana kind of worked, but was unusable GUI-wise then.
Yeah, the GUI is still quite basic, but there were quite a few fixes/improvements (such as high-DPI screen handling) and you can now at least finally search for addresses and pubs.

Some things in Modrana are better then in NavFree so if it eventually will work good in Android, I am sure many Android-users would use it.
Well see - finally making GPS in modRana work on Android might be a good start. Still, even with all the countless Android deficiencies, there are quite a few (about 500 million ?) Android devices in the wild, so modRana should be able to run on it.

And back to the topic, Modrana deserves to be in the Sailfish device also, so thanks for working on it.
Thanks!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post

See comment blogger thinks its this chipset http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_velocity...afone-4525.php

its means:

So maybe its time people stop dream of snapdragon >= 400 and latest greatest GFX.
sorry sir, that chip not capable of LTE, hence not the chip that Jolla gonna use

the VERY possible chip only these two :

MSM8960

MSM8930 (If Jolla will factory OC it)

Last edited by soryuuha; 2013-09-23 at 01:03.

The Following User Says Thank You to soryuuha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 24 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Oct 2012 @ BeiJing China
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post

its means:

BUT, that MSM8260 SoC has only 3 clock speed level: 1.2GHz / 1.5GHz / 1.7GHz, there's no 1.4GHz.

I will keep dreaming for MSM8930 or a better one (MSM8930AB).