Posts: 577 | Thanked: 699 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Malta
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Tthe Maemo name is just not cool any more, so it lost the Maemo moniker and currently has the *provisional* name of MeeGo-Harmattan.
They really think Meego is cooler than Maemo??

Fremantle sounds cooler than Harmattan IMO. And Diablo was cooler than Fremantle. N97/N900 sounds better than N8 and N9.

If you ask me they are getting worse at this...

The Following User Says Thank You to pantera1989 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 186 | Thanked: 192 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by pantera1989 View Post
They really think Meego is cooler than Maemo??
For Meego, at least people seem to know how to spell it. Not so for Maemo

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Originally Posted by smoku View Post
I receive calls so infrequently, that answering it using so awkward-sized phone would be bearable.
IMO Streak is far, far from unbearable in size.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

The Following User Says Thank You to ndi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 218 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Germany , Thüringen
If Nokia sends me there new MeeGo Device as an Excuse i will maybe use it .. sorry but to spend again much Money into a Device thats maybe abandoned after a few Months becouse Nokia thinks well our next high end Operating System will be xxx i wont do this failor twice.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crown77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by ndi View Post
IMO Streak is far, far from unbearable in size.
Yes.
I am actually looking through reviews and checking the prices.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
As for Harmattan I have completely lost interest in the upcoming device. Well... Maybe as a source for components transplantable to my N900. But I am definitely not going to buy it.
Indeed. I see MeeGo as Kubuntu, whilst Maemo is Ubuntu. I installed Kubuntu the other day - wanting to like it - but ended up thinking it sucked just as much knobs as it did the last time (last time, it had an excuse: it was in beta and I was using ndiswrapper).

The Ubuntu desktop may be going in some stupid directions (****ing JavaScript?!) but at least it feels natural to use. *sigh*

Anyway, best of luck with your "Maemo on MeeGo" project. It seems like it'll be the sane variant of MeeGo for a lot of us.

Last edited by qwerty12; 2010-07-30 at 14:15.

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
I will probably get a MeeGo slate if someone produces one.

And MeeGo phone, but not from Nokia.
If no other (than Nokia) manufacturer will produce MeeGo phones, I will just skip it and stay with slate + some nice real phone.

As for Harmattan I have completely lost interest in the upcoming device. Well... Maybe as a source for components transplantable to my N900. But I am definitely not going to buy it.
That is sad.

Although as a well known developer you will almost certainly qualify for a free new device if you link up your account with the Karma system.

Last edited by imperiallight; 2010-07-30 at 15:22.

Posts: 17 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Mergo, Italy
Yes, probably I'll buy another Nokia mobile.
I like N900, I waited so long for a similar phone.....
And I'm not disappointed, it works very well for me, it is a good compromise between software, hardware and price. I hope that Nokia will continue to develope or evolve Maemo.

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Well, if anything, MeeGo is definitely the only way to go for Nokia for all high-end devices, tablets, etc. So, it's unlikely it will get dropped any time soon. Future versions should be backwards compatible if nothing else because of QT and Mobility.

OTOH, I'd probably have said the exact same thing about Maemo in January. Heck, Maybe by MeeGo 1.3 they merge with Android and use msi for packaging.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

The Following User Says Thank You to ndi For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bsving View Post
The N900 was available in November/December of 2009, but some didn't get it before well into 2010. In spring 2010 (mars/april?) it was announced that Maemo will be discontinued, MeeGo will be the next. MeeGo will not be supported on the N900 by Nokia, and by late June 2010 the first MeeGo (with UI) was available (development of Maemo stopped). MeeGo is incompatible with Maemo, and the N900 is hardly compatible with MeeGo due to multi-touch and different screen.

This is not evolution. Maemo has not evolved, it has been killed. The N900 has not evolved, it will (presumably) be replaced with something else, something very different, and the "N900 lineage" is killed.
Okay, it seems things got a little muddled. You responded to me from my response to johnel, which makes some sense, because here's how this started:

Originally Posted by johnel View Post
I think Nokia have lost a lot of momentum by switching to MeeGo. If they continued with maemo they would be in a better position to compete - all the groundwork has already been layed.
The N900 was available in November/December of 2009, but some didn't get it before well into 2010. In spring 2010 (mars/april?) it was announced that Maemo will be discontinued, MeeGo will be the next. MeeGo will not be supported on the N900 by Nokia, and by late June 2010 the first MeeGo (with UI) was available (development of Maemo stopped). MeeGo is incompatible with Maemo, and the N900 is hardly compatible with MeeGo due to multi-touch and different screen.

This is not evolution. Maemo has not evolved, it has been killed. The N900 has not evolved, it will (presumably) be replaced with something else, something very different, and the "N900 lineage" is killed.
But maybe you were also responding to my post to you. So, I'll slightly rephrase my question. Do you really believe this?

It seems like the whole Maemo development from the start and up to MeeGo is a series of random decisions with no strategic goal
If so, I think you're perception is inaccurate for the reasons I stated earlier. Or maybe we're both kind of right, 'cause random and evolution go well together. That would fit your conclusions well, but then I'll just move on to a cooking analogy to fit my model:

"You can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs."

Peace!

Last edited by daperl; 2010-07-30 at 15:42.

Tags
nokiaisrelevant, noreally!