Notices

[This is on N900 with the 2009.42.11 firmware.]

I'm trying to send a message over IMAP/SMTP via Gmail servers. I'm signed in with my @gmail account, and I can download headers and read messages via IMAP. But when I try to send, the message is tagged "failed" in the Outbox. This is Modest, not MfE nor Nokia Messaging.

First, is anyone else experiencing this?

Second, there's nothing under /var/log... How does one debug SMTP (or any other) problems on the N900?

Did you enter your settings manually or allow the N900 to autoconfigure the gmail account for you? Mine is working fine with autoconfig - only had to enter my username and password.

Troubleshooting: under "advanced" configuration options for the gmail account, make sure everything looks like this. (Help for S60, but close enough.)

Note that SSL must be enabled (and the ports configured properly).

If everything is configured properly and it still doesn't work, you need to verify that your ISP isn't blocking the port. In xterm, telnet to smtp.gmail.com on port 465. If the connection times out or is immediately rejected, then the port is probably blocked.

The Following User Says Thank You to Svengalis For This Useful Post:
Yeah, I did the autoconfig, and it set up SSL instead of TLS, and the wrong port. Thanks for that S60 instructions pointer, it works now!

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
I find that my network struggles sometime to send via smtp, then at other times will send just fine. I leave things in the outbox, and they usually go at the next synch or so. I have no idea what causes that.