Active Topics

Hi people

My email (hotmail) is very, very slow on the N900.

As soon as i bring up emails it takes about 40 minutes to load inbox then when i go into an email it takes another 10 or so minutes to load the actual email and sometimes doesnt even go into the email... it just displays the email for about 2 seconds then brings me back to inbox immediately. I'm wondering if anyone knows a fix for this issue?

Thank you.

The Following User Says Thank You to martyk69uk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by martyk69uk View Post
As soon as i bring up emails it takes about 40 minutes to load inbox then when i go into an email it takes another 10 or so minutes to load the actual email and sometimes doesnt even go into the email... it just displays the email for about 2 seconds then brings me back to inbox immediately.
First, can I ask, are you viewing your Hotmail account via the web browser or are you using the N900's E-mail application?

If you're trying to view the Hotmail web interface, odds are that it's just putting too much of a load on the N900. The Gmail web interface is pretty slow too (although not nearly as bad as you are seeing). Probably the best solution would be to set up the E-mail app to connect to your Hotmail account (I think Hotmail supports POP3 access), and use that instead -- it makes things a lot quicker and easier.

If you're seeing this kind of lag in the E-mail app, then there is a more serious problem...

hi mate

Thanks for your reply.

Then i think the problem is serious because its the app i use which is part of the N900. Its called 'Email'
2 accounts its been slow on now. started on my Dads so he removed it then i put mine up on there and its slow on that too

Got any suggestions or a fix for this?

Thanks again

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 270 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Bosnia and Herzegovina

Hi

How is this done exactly?

Is it done via the web through email.nokia.com?

Thanks

Open Modest and register new account...choose your country and Nokia Messaging, enter your email address and password...and there you go.

The Following User Says Thank You to dzano For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by martyk69uk View Post
Then i think the problem is serious because its the app i use which is part of the N900. Its called 'Email'
2 accounts its been slow on now. started on my Dads so he removed it then i put mine up on there and its slow on that too
Hmm... Let me ask first, have you been experiencing similar lag when browsing web sites, or doing other internet-related tasks?

And, as Dzano noted, experimenting with an e-mail account from a different provider than Hotmail could prove useful. If that works, the likelihood is that there is a problem either with the Hotmail account setup, or with Hotmail's POP3 access. If the lag exists for any email account, something else is going on...

I'm not asking you to try with any other email provider. Use your existing Hotmail account and register it trough Nokia Messaging. It's much faster and it supports push email.

The Following User Says Thank You to dzano For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dzano View Post
I'm not asking you to try with any other email provider. Use your existing Hotmail account and register it trough Nokia Messaging. It's much faster and it supports push email.
Ah, gotcha, thanks. (I've never used Nokia Messaging myself.) Still, there's gotta be a problem here somewhere; no mail service takes that long to connect, even without Nokia Messaging...

The Following User Says Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Open Modest and register new account...choose your country and Nokia Messaging, enter your email address and password...and there you go.

I dont think i have modest? Do I?
How do i check or does it come standard?
LOL this is how much of a newbie i am!
If i dont have it how would i download it?

Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Hmm... Let me ask first, have you been experiencing similar lag when browsing web sites, or doing other internet-related tasks?

And, as Dzano noted, experimenting with an e-mail account from a different provider than Hotmail could prove useful. If that works, the likelihood is that there is a problem either with the Hotmail account setup, or with Hotmail's POP3 access. If the lag exists for any email account, something else is going on...
Actually no not really.. its the first time ive turned the phone on for a year. So i havent really tried many sites on it. But so far all sites have loaded ok. Yes i will try changing to Gmail. Could you perhaps advise me with the correct hotmail settings such as ports and POP3, SMTP so i can check it is all correct?

To register it through nokia messaging does that mean id go onto email.nokia.com to sync my hotmail with it or something?

Thanks guys!

Tags
modest, nokia n900