Notices

Posts: 503 | Thanked: 267 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by Luna
I've been having a bunch of 'unresponsive' dialogs but I havin'g verified the culprit (recently did the maemo 2.1upgrade). Not enough info to report outside of this mentioning.
Please clarify your report a bit. Do you see this 'unresponsiveness' problem when running MPlayer? Or you observe it even without touching MPlayer at all? One of the good things about MPlayer is that it is just a pair of executable files which do not try to integrate into gstreamer stack on the device or register itself there in some unusual way. Until you start MPlayer, it just takes some space on your flash but does not affect system in any way.

Originally Posted by Tweak
I cannot adjust the audio delay in the gui menu. I can highlight and select it, but no button actions will change it from zero.

The earlier key remapping I did to the input.conf now hard locks the entire system when pressing up or down.
OK, I see, I'll try to check what's happening. But normally video & audio should be in sync anyway, and if you have a 'bad' file that is causing problems, it would be a good idea to have a look at it.

In addition, current mplayer version that is available from extras repository is likely to have the same bug, so replacing it with this latest mplayer_1.0rc1-maemo.5 build will not introduce any regression

Last edited by Serge; 2006-12-20 at 08:55.

With the new mplayer rc1.4 the video play quite faster, but sometimes (mostly) they have a strange flickering (!?) (i.e. sometimesīthe underlying window shines through for some frames). After the video stops the are "black holes" in the windowborders, and other strange things (a nonfullscreen image of the end of the video in the top left windowcorner), which partly vanish after pressing ESC or closing the browserwindow.

I normaly use mplayer with a script which is called directly by clicking on a videolink in the builtin browser (opera). Are there any special parameters required in the new version (except -vo nokia770)?

(I already have rebooted since installation of rc1.4, so i thing a upgrade to rc1.5 shouldnt change anything, if i understood the changelog corretly)

Last edited by bsterix; 2006-12-20 at 13:37.

Originally Posted by Serge
Please clarify your report a bit. Do you see this 'unresponsiveness' problem when running MPlayer? Or you observe it even without touching MPlayer at all?
When playing/lauching a dvd rip. This is the first time I've had the issue since you started this port. Once again, I just upgraded the os so I'm not sure if the culprit is mplayer or the newest kernel.

Minor notes:
..hitting the power switch (but doing nothing) seems to be problematic during playback.
..osd shows fullscreen=no even when FS.

Last edited by Luna; 2006-12-20 at 15:27.

Originally Posted by bsterix
With the new mplayer rc1.4 the video play quite faster, but sometimes (mostly) they have a strange flickering (!?) (i.e. sometimesīthe underlying window shines through for some frames). After the video stops the are "black holes" in the windowborders, and other strange things (a nonfullscreen image of the end of the video in the top left windowcorner), which partly vanish after pressing ESC or closing the browserwindow.
That's probably a problem of mplayer losing focus, but keeping video playback using direct framebuffer access. So it interferes with other applications that try to display something on the screen (everything that gets into a rectangle used by mplayer for video playback will be overdrawn). MPlayer still needs to handle losing and getting focus better (switching to other applications and back).

Right now it is better not to switch to other applications while MPlayer is running and everything will be ok (or should be ok ).

I normaly use mplayer with a script which is called directly by clicking on a videolink in the builtin browser (opera).
Just tested it with opera too, it seems to work fine here (unless you try switching back to opera before stopping MPlayer)

Are there any special parameters required in the new version (except -vo nokia770)?
None special parameters are required, but '-vo nokia770' has some suboptions which can be used to tune it. You can set a screen area for video playback in a 'windowed' mode. For example '-vo nokia770:x=174:y=60:w=600:h=360' sets video output area for windowed mode to the dimentions used by default video player. It may be useful for 'slave' mode if somebody decides to implement exact clone of default video player using MPlayer as a backend.

(I already have rebooted since installation of rc1.4, so i thing a upgrade to rc1.5 shouldnt change anything, if i understood the changelog corretly)
Yes, it is only a tweak for the installer, so you can safely stay with version mplayer_1.0rc1-maemo.4

As soon as I get some more spare time, I'll add some performance optimizations to the scaling code and video decoder in order to improve performance even more.

Originally Posted by Luna
When playing/lauching a dvd rip. This is the first time I've had the issue since you started this port. Once again, I just upgraded the os so I'm not sure if the culprit is mplayer or the newest kernel.
Please let us know if you encounter it again and if this issue is reproducible (preferably with the description of steps that can be used to reproduce it).

Minor notes:
..hitting the power switch (but doing nothing) seems to be problematic during playback.
..osd shows fullscreen=no even when FS.
Thanks, by the way, it is possible to use garage trackers to submit MPlayer bugreports and feature requests: https://garage.maemo.org/projects/mplayer/

And as you can see, many of them are resolved already

Originally Posted by Serge
Just tested it with opera too, it seems to work fine here (unless you try switching back to opera before stopping MPlayer)
thanks for your long answer.
Normaly i dont "switch back to opera", but sometimes the video just stops (with a smaller picture in upper left corner), so i thought the video is over and clicked somewhere (or pressed ESC (?)), so this might have switched to Opera.

Which options do you recommend for usage with opera?
Is it better to put the options directly in the script, which is called by opera, or should i better put theme somehow in .mplayer/config ?

Is it possible to see if mplayer is still starting up, when i clicked a link, or if it already crashed because the video was not playable or some other reasons keep mplayer from working correctly (i.e. to less memory or so).

Sometimes i thought the video will never start, closed the webpage, and shortly after this, a video starts.
Is it maybe somehow possible to use the "GUI-Mplayer" directly from opera, without cut/paste the link manually?

Thanks
bsterix

Last edited by bsterix; 2006-12-21 at 08:56.

Originally Posted by bsterix
Is it possible to see if mplayer is still starting up, when i clicked a link, or if it already crashed because the video was not playable or some other reasons keep mplayer from working correctly (i.e. to less memory or so).
I'll try to make mplayer (command line binary, not a gui frontend) add some icon to the taskbar when it is running, that should solve some of the most annoying problems.

By the way, did this new mplayer package install fine for everyone? I could not test all the possible system configurations such as mistral or scirocco and r&d mode turned on or off. It should be easy to notice if the new video output code is working by looking into 'Report' after watching some video. You should see something like this there ('nokia770' video output driver and 'yuyv422' as target colorspace):
VO: [nokia770] 336x176 => 336x176 Planar YV12 [fs]
SwScaler: reducing / aligning filtersize 2 -> 2

SwScaler: FAST_BILINEAR scaler, from yuv420p to yuyv422 using C
SwScaler: using FAST_BILINEAR C scaler for horizontal scaling
SwScaler: using 2-tap linear C scaler for vertical scaling (BGR)
SwScaler: 336x176 -> 400x210
In the case of any troubles with accessing framebuffer, mplayer may fallback to x11 or sdl output drivers, it is not good for performance as nokia770 driver should be the fastest right now and is set to be used by default. So please report if mplayer refuses to use this new driver with yuyv422 colorspace on your system for some reason.

In addition, this new video output code has better scaling support. While using software scaling introduces some noticeable but not critical performance degradation for non-optimal resolutions, at least image quality is good. That means mplayer is less picky about video resolutions now.

when i play the discovery video i get no yuv

MPlayer 1.0rc1-maemo.5 (C) 2000-2006 MPlayer Team
CPU: ARM
Menu inited: /etc/mplayer/menu.conf

Playing /home/user/MyDocs/.videos/Discovery.avi.
AVI file format detected.
VIDEO: [DIVX] 352x208 24bpp 15.000 fps 389.5 kbps (47.5 kbyte/s)
Clip info:
Software: MEncoder dev-CVS-050626-17:02-3.4.2
================================================== ========================
Opening video decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg's libavcodec codec family
Selected video codec: [ffodivx] vfm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg MPEG-4)
Trying to force audio codec driver family dspmp3...
Opening audio decoder: [dspmp3] MP3 audio pass-through for Nokia 770 (fake decoder)
AUDIO: 44100 Hz, 2 ch, ??, 64.0 kbit/4.54% (ratio: 8000->176400)
Selected audio codec: [dspmp3] afm: dspmp3 (MP3 audio pass-through for Nokia 770)
AO: [null] 44100Hz 2ch ?? (1 bytes per sample)
Starting playback...
VDec: vo config request - 352 x 208 (preferred colorspace: Planar YV12)
VDec: using Planar YV12 as output csp (no 0)
Movie-Aspect is 1.69:1 - prescaling to correct movie aspect.
VO: [nokia770] 352x208 => 352x208 Planar YV12 [fs]

Exiting... (Quit)

what might be the reason? with my old os2006 2.0 i thnk yuv worked. performance was quite good

Last edited by bsterix; 2006-12-22 at 17:26.

bsterix: Everything is ok, having VO: [nokia770] in your log shows that mplayer uses proper video output code. Apparently mplayer just shows more information to console (including that swscaler details about target colorspace) when run from xterm or from ssh session. I'm sorry for posting somewhat misleading information.

When i start mplayer from xterm, everything ios as expected.

Thanks for the fast answer
bsterix