Posts: 269 | Thanked: 1,096 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hampshire, UK
I had some small problems flashing the UBPorts image, but not the same or as bad as for n900user259. I couldn't get the device automatically recognised, so selected manually. Then the process appeared to have hung, but on reboot the bootloader was a UBPorts branded one (very pretty by the way). On second attempt things were smoother, still manually selected model, and it booted correctly.

I'm not a huge fan of UT (I have the original MX4 device with the latest image installed) but I thought it was worth trying out. I found a few issues, but nothing dealbreaking (couldn't get gps lock, no keyboard illumination, no ringing from the device when bluetooth headset connected (possibly, not confirmed, I saw it once at setup, but didn't go back to check later)

I had a lot of problems flashing back to Sailfish. After reflash the device was stuck in a bootloop at the startup screen. Tried following Kabouiks TWRP guide, but I couldn't get that to work - complaints about not finding /vendor when installing from the zip file (tried via SD card and internal storage).

Eventually flashed back to the original image, also via Kabouiks guide, then immediately installed the lastest SFOS image once I confirmed booting into Android (ugh!).

All seems well now, back on SFOS, and it seems to have cured the bluetooth issue I had after flashing to 3.4 a few days ago.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to epninety For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Thank you for creating the post n900user259. Please ping me on IRC or Telegram (same nickname) when you have an answer, in case there is something to update in the guide. I really just put the new link to the reset package but did not change the commands, so indeed there may be more files than flash commands now. Also, I didn't notice the .bat file, but you're right that there is at least one error with userdata and weird things with vendor and system.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
I have the same feeling as epninety about UBports. It's a good OS, well finished, but I still prefer Sailfish and Silica (unfortunately it's closed source, but still it's flexible thanks to patches, gestures are more parcimonious than they are in Lomiri, and multitasking and events are more convenient).

I have had the same issue with GPS, and another user too. Keyboard backlight can be activated manually with a "echo 1 > /sys/class/leds/keyboard-backlight/brightness", but there is no MCE to automate it, and it will be off again after the phone is locked.

I am sorry to hear you've had issues flashing back to SailfishOS epninety. A general notice, everyone be careful with the guide if you are flashing to 3.4 because things changed significantly with LVM encryption, and I haven't done it yet, so it's very likely that things are now inaccurate in the guide. However, I heard there is now a "flash.sh" in the 3.4 SailfishOS image, so there shouldn't even be any need for TWRP to go back to SailfishOS, I assume everything is now done with fastboot. TWRP can still be useful for backups, but it may not be the only or even the simplest way to install Sailfish now.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 269 | Thanked: 1,096 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hampshire, UK
There is 'flash.sh' as you say, however it didn't produce a bootable install for me, coming from UBPorts. I had to manually flash back to android, using your excellent guide, then using 'flash.sh' got me back to SFOS.

I'm happy hacking around a PC, but not very familiar with Android, so it's possible (even likely) that I screwed something up, either on this, or some previous flashing episode, and it's only just become noticeable.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to epninety For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
Make sure you use an USB2 port - USB3 sometimes has problems with flashing. I guess you already have drivers, since you flashed before.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Yeah, either USB2 or call 0118 999 881 999 119 7253.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Finally gave in and bought one, not sure how the numbering works as I'm number 2004 while there are only 1056 backers. Maybe nearly everyone wants a spare screen?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to suicidal_orange For This Useful Post:
I just did a video comparing Ubuntu Touch and SailfishOS on the Pro1, in case it helps some people deciding whether they want it or not before the end of the campaign.

https://youtu.be/rgxrJj37xOs

I added a link with the XDA's secret perk that makes the Pro1x cheaper than the Pro1.

Please excuse the French omelette accent.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
I just did a video comparing Ubuntu Touch and SailfishOS on the Pro1, in case it helps some people deciding whether they want it or not before the end of the campaign.
Thanks for the video. I really appreciate it. I use Sailfish as a daily driver on my Xperia X, and use Ubuntu Touch all the time around the house on my OnePlus One for its larger form factor. (That dreaded "phablet" portmanteau.) And yet I still learned a few general things about both.

And of course I really appreciate your video re: use of both OSes on the Fx tec Pro 1, since I hope to be getting mine soon (TM).

The other day I was down to my last egg, so I had to make a French omelette.

Because in French, one egg is "un oeuf".

Ya. No one in my house laughed either. But it was a true story.

And then I found five dollars. (That makes every story better, doesn't it?)

PS: The verb you want is "set" which is the transitive form. "I set my bottom on the chair." vs "I sit on the chair." "Set" requires an object ("my bottom") but "sit" does not. This usage defies many a native speaker of English.

PPS: Stuffy English teachers insist that there is no reflexive from in English. To which I reply: "I'll set myself down and think about that."

But to conclude, big thanks for making the video!

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Posts: 562 | Thanked: 1,732 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ NYC
Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post

https://youtu.be/rgxrJj37xOs

I added a link with the XDA's secret perk that makes the Pro1x cheaper than the Pro1.

This was a really great comparison. Very in-depth and fairly unbiased. Appreciate the effort. You didn't really touch on the close bits of sailfish which many people you complain about. But overall good work. And your accent is fine, you speak clearly and slow enough that I can't see anyone complaining about it .

Cheers

X

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to xman For This Useful Post:

Tags
expectations