I can barely see what I'm typing with all the flickering, jumping horizontal lines, near-unreadable fonts, some thicker vertical lines on the left side and general ghosting etc. Even screen calibration seems off.

Last night I'd left music playing, then thinking it had finished went to bed and woke up to a dead tablet. Left it to charge fully, but after switching it on was greeted with the corrupt screen.

Also tried booting up with backup battery, but it only gave me bootmenu screen with large text "TEST" at the bottom and just sat there!

Quick search didn't reveal close enough hits but I recall having seen talk about similar problems.

I'm holidaying in the mountains and until now was really enjoying my GPRS connection to outside world. Of course I'm also days away from firmware files and my N800's USB cable.

Am I officially screwed?

I forgot to mention that after today's restart the system date had also jumped back to last wednesday.

I'll attach a few resized shots of the screen corruption which is rather headache-inducing in real life.
Attached Images

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by Peet View Post
Am I officially screwed?
Another one bites the dust.
I'm afraid you are

Edit: and since yours is almost 2 years old, consider yourself lucky.

Edit2: now that I see the screenshots, I can say that the symptoms are not exactly the same as mine, so maybe it's a different issue.
See if heating (heavy cpu use might be enough) makes it better.

Last edited by luca; 2009-09-12 at 09:43.

The Following User Says Thank You to luca For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by luca View Post
Another one bites the dust.
I'm afraid you are
Well around two years of relatively light use is what could be expected from a device not made in China, eh.

If it's a major component failure rather than curable firmware corruption my buddy probably just became toxic waste.

Being located outside official sales regions I won't even dream of getting my hands on one of the pricey and unavailable/discontinued replacement screens.

But thanks anyway for the heads-up.

Posts: 1 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Victoria, British Columbia
I have precisely the same problem with my N800 (dark vertical bars on nokia boot screen with flickering patterns and wonky icons and fonts on the desktop). It seems to have occurred after forgetting and leaving it on the recharger for 3 or 4 days. I tried cooling it in the fridge for an hour before rebooting to see if it was a thermal effect but the vertical lines, display corruption and flickering still occurred on reboot. This N800 has been a wonderful treasure and I would like to identify the cause and repair it. Is it possible that the problem can be repaired without having to purchase a new display?

Michael\\

Have you tried reflashing your N800 back to its original state?

My screen went haywire after the battery went flat overnight while yours experienced the same while being charged for a few days... Unfortunately it does sound like a component of the screen simply failed (after two years of gentle usage here, Korean-built N800 FWIW).

Neither of these "events" is something out of the ordinary so we may simply be among the first N800 owners to experience the defective screen component, with others to follow...

If I've read European Union's legislation correctly, hardware manufacturers still have certain responsibilities towards their customers in case of a manufacturing defect even well after the end of the unilateral (1 year) warranty period.

This makes common sense, since the EU doesn't want to encourage dumping 1-2 year old electronic gadgets in toxic landfills. And neither should the "environmentally aware" Nokia.

A socially and environmentally responsible company would make affordable replacement components easily available. I don't think that even the (Maemo) "company guys" here would publically argue against that, although they've been over the N8x0 hardware (and software) for well over a year already.

PS. Maybe a moderator could move this thread to the Nokia N800 hardware forum?

Originally Posted by stoneboat View Post
Is it possible that the problem can be repaired without having to purchase a new display?
Probably, but it will cost more than replacing the screen (unless you're able to identify and replace the faulty component yourself).
In fact, when mine failed, I tried to take a look at the connector, and that made the problem worse (I lost the touch screen functionality).

Originally Posted by Peet View Post
If I've read European Union's legislation correctly, hardware manufacturers still have certain responsibilities towards their customers in case of a manufacturing defect even well after the end of the unilateral (1 year) warranty period.
FYI, the mandatory warranty period in EU is now 2 years (since 2005 I think). If yours is younger than that you can still get it repaired under warranty (but if my experience is anything to go by be prepared for a looong wait).

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lma View Post
FYI, the mandatory warranty period in EU is now 2 years (since 2005 I think). If yours is younger than that you can still get it repaired under warranty (but if my experience is anything to go by be prepared for a looong wait).
Thanks for the information. Mine's still under 2 years old, but I had to order it via Expansys as Nokia wasn't selling them here in Asia where I currently reside. As far as Nokia or EU's fine consumer protection policies are concerned, I (as an EU expat) don't even exist.

Nevertheless I hope that people within the EU pursue their rights and just maybe it will help Nokia's customers elsewhere as well.

I wonder if the resident Maemo guys have any contact with Nokia's hardware people and if they could ask about the specifics of hardware components, such as the hard-to-locate N800 screen. Who knows a generic replacement part might be available if we only knew what to search for.

Originally Posted by lma View Post
FYI, the mandatory warranty period in EU is now 2 years (since 2005 I think).
But after 6 months you have to prove that the fault was present at the time of delivery.
National legislation and/or manufacturer warranty can extend the period to give you full coverage for the 2 years, but the real coverage mandated by the EU is only six months.

Edit:

actually the paragraph from the eu directive is this one:

3. Unless proved otherwise, any lack of conformity which becomes apparent within six months of delivery of the goods shall be presumed to have existed at the time of delivery unless this presumption is incompatible with the nature of the goods or the nature of the lack of conformity.
but also

1. The seller shall be held liable under Article 3 where the lack of conformity becomes apparent within two years as from delivery of the goods. If, under national legislation, the rights laid down in Article 3(2) are subject to a limitation period, that period shall not expire within a period of two years from the time of delivery.
So between 6 months and 2 years there's a sort of limbo, but the substance is that you are really protected only during 6 months, the 2 years is just a smokescreen to make us believe that EU bureaucrats really care about "we, the people", when they only care about corporations.

Last edited by luca; 2009-09-26 at 13:26.

The Following User Says Thank You to luca For This Useful Post: