Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
I recently created account with the Maemo Bugzilla and have noticed that the login user ID (email address) is shown to anybody who have logged in to the Bugzilla. I'm just wondering if that is the reason why during the last few weeks I have received a lot more spam emails than before... Because of this, I think Bugzilla is a goldmine for spambots to harvest working email addresses!!!

I was trying to see if there is a way to change the user ID to something else than email address but could not find it.

Anybody, any comments?

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
It's being addressed as we speak - email addresses will be hidden as a priority precisely because there have been verifiable cases of harvesting.

Currently I believe bugzilla is closed unless you have a valid account, ie. it's not currently open to anonymous access but such access will be permitted once patches have been applied that anonymise users. No ETA yet, but it's recognised as being a high priority issue.

https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1383

How do I cancel my bugzilla account and remove my details?

You sign up by providing you email address which is fine for the system admins to know. Didn't realize that my private email address would now be plastered on the fricking site and used as a username. There was no obvious warning - I was expecting to be able to select a propoer username.

I'm all for community but this is just plain ******ed and I want that account deleted ASAP. How do I do it - it's not obvious?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wizbowes For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
you probably need to email the bugzilla team. there is a link at the bottom of every bugzilla page.
----------- Are you on the N900 World Map? - http://pininthemap.com/maemo - masterpin: shotgun
----------- What apps do you want to see on the n900 or in MeeGo in the future? -

Posts: 287 | Thanked: 127 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sweden
If you set a "real name" (obviously it can be fake) in the preferences, the email will only be shown for logged in users.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to floffe For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Originally Posted by wizbowes View Post
Didn't realize that my private email address would now be plastered on the fricking site and used as a username.
Set a realname in the preferences. Log out and check yourself if your email address is displayed. Or not.

There was no obvious warning - I was expecting to be able to select a propoer username.
Feel free to file an upstream request for this in Bugzilla's Bugzilla at bugzilla.mozilla.org, if it does not exist yet.

I want that account deleted ASAP.
Accounts cannot be deleted (and it makes no sense anyway). You could disable it though.

The Following User Says Thank You to Andre Klapper For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
Originally Posted by Andre Klapper View Post
Accounts cannot be deleted (and it makes no sense anyway). You could disable it though.

Erm, Can not or will not?

I think anyone has the right (legal or otherwise) to be fully removed from sites if they wish? especially open source led ones? (Sounds micro-facebook'softed, that sentence)

I'd feel a bit peeved if i knew that there was no way for me to remove myself...

I do understand it would screw up parts, but could the system not realise that and place "Removed User" in it's place?
----------- Are you on the N900 World Map? - http://pininthemap.com/maemo - masterpin: shotgun
----------- What apps do you want to see on the n900 or in MeeGo in the future? -

Originally Posted by Andre Klapper View Post
Huh? Of course it makes sense. And it is a legal requirement under the Data Protection Directive. Just look at all the trouble that Facebook got into about not letting people delete accounts.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tnhh For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Originally Posted by noobmonkey View Post
I think anyone has the right (legal or otherwise) to be fully removed from sites if they wish?
I do understand it would screw up parts, but could the system not realise that and place "Removed User" in it's place?
See the upstream ticket: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=392184

Seeing as that upstream ticket has been going on since 2007, it's not very useful. And in any case it's not right to redirect a legal issue (which this really is, I can only agree with the previous poster) to a technical one.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post: